4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Security Chip in Key, quick question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 07:51 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Security Chip in Key, quick question

I know some max's have a security chip in the key for the ignition.

I'v herd that all '99s came with the chip standard, if they did can I only go to the dealer to get a copy?

Thanks guys
Old 12-23-2003, 08:00 AM
日産

Originally Posted by NookieMax
I know some max's have a security chip in the key for the ignition.

I'v herd that all '99s came with the chip standard, if they did can I only go to the dealer to get a copy?

Thanks guys
How about streetkeys.com?
Old 12-23-2003, 08:01 AM

Yeah, I have a 99 and I can only go to the dealer to get a replacement. I bet it costs a lot too.
The good part is the security of knowing only our keys can start the car.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:01 AM
BOSS

Yes, every Nissan dealer should be able to provide you with a new key that needs a chip. Anyway, the dealer will charge for two things

1) the key itself with the chip already in it (about $45)

and

2) the programming of the chip with your ignition (about another $40)

So, my advise for everyone with 99's: DON'T LOSE YOUR KEY because on average, it costs $100 to replace one!!!

My Max came with two keys obviously when I bought it used one year ago with 29k miles. It now has 59k and I managed to lose one of my keys so I must get another one very soon. It's funny because I carry my Maxima key by itself and only when I drive the car. So.............. ?

So I must have lost it somewhere on my property - duh, but I still can't find it GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Old 12-23-2003, 08:07 AM

both my keys were cracked near the top when i got them, and now they fall off the ring if you pull on em

i was going to drill a hole in it, but i didn't want to damage the chip.

anybody know for sure, where i could drill so as to not damage anything?
Old 12-23-2003, 08:10 AM
BOSS

...it's always funny to see ppl with 98-and-under Maxima models full of confusion - many don't know 99's came with a chip, which makes the key worth $100, not $5 like for all other 4th gen's.

Old 12-23-2003, 08:46 AM

If anyone cares, I helped maxdrvr847 save a buncha cash when I did his remote start / alarm. He only had 1 key for his 99, which also had a broken top so it was able to come off the ring (either that or it was nearly broken, either way, not cool.) Since we had to bypass the transponder key system to make the remote start work, we permanently bypassed the system by wiring the bypass module to come on any time the ignition is on. Since my key for my 98 fit into his ignition perfectly, we got him a new key made from a non-transponder blank. His chipped key went into the bypass module, and we were able to start the car either remotely or by using the non-chip key in the ignition.

Disadvantage here is that the transponder system is effectively permanently bypassed, but since we were installed a full alarm also, (and he wasn't too worried about security anyways) it wasn't a big deal. If someone wanted to simply bypass the transponder system, you can install the bypass module by itself then go out and get all the $3 keys you want.

Here's the bypass module that I used, other manufacturers probably make similar ones.

http://www.caraudio-caralarms.com/555U.html

Anyone looking for more info, PM me or send me an email
Old 12-23-2003, 08:56 AM
BOSS

I don't think that's a wise idea IMO. Then the key, ignition and the chip lose its entire purpose. I think it is awesome knowing that 99% of car thieves can start an ordinary 4th gen Maxima and drive off with it, but it would take one of the best thieves (probably less than 1%) to drive off with a 99.

Old 12-23-2003, 09:07 AM

its an idea, but more than i can handle right now

think i'll just keep using the electrical tape i got around the key till I have more time this summer to mess around.

Thanks for you help guys
Old 12-23-2003, 11:28 AM

Screw driving it........I'll just put it on a tow truck........so thats makes it 100%.

Better yet why drive it away....why not strip the thing while its sitting there. Chip doesnt loose its entire purpose. Cause if he was in a situation where he thought his car could be stolen....he can take the chipped key out of the bypass module. So its not that bad.

Originally Posted by BOSS
I don't think that's a wise idea IMO. Then the key, ignition and the chip lose its entire purpose. I think it is awesome knowing that 99% of car thieves can start an ordinary 4th gen Maxima and drive off with it, but it would take one of the best thieves (probably less than 1%) to drive off with a 99.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:51 AM
BOSS

[QUOTE=infinitiblast]Screw driving it........I'll just put it on a tow truck........so thats makes it 100%...QUOTE]

what are you talking about man? Tow truck? Where did that come from? Maybe you ought to look at some statistics before you say something stupid again. If you did, you'd know that pretty much all of mid-class cars like Maximas are driven away when stolen, NOT towed away! I can understand towing away a Benz, but who will bother towing away a Maxima?!

Besides, it takes a decent thief seconds to steal/drive off in a 4th gen Maxima without the chip. Now it would take something like 5 minutes to steal it by towing. Also, it's not like your Maxima is going to get stripped for freakin parts or towed infront of your own house or apartment complex - that happens .01% of the time!

Old 12-23-2003, 12:04 PM

twas just an idea... personally I don't worry about my car getting stolen, and I'm sure a lot of other people don't either. If a thief wants your car, he'll figure out how to get it. I agree, the transponder key is an awesome piece of security. But if you don't need it or don't care, bypassing it is a cheaper option.

I love my Max... but it's fully insured. As pist as I'd be if it got stolen, I'd have a great time modding another one.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:09 PM
Boosted like Snipes tax refund

too true.... No transponder bypasses, please... I'ved had two keys replaced and I'd rather replace a key than have my car so damn stealable...

One of my old keys had a hole drilled in the upper right-hand corner of the key. You can drill it anywhere to the side opposite the transponder (you'll note a difference in the two sides ofthe key where the transponder chip is inserted)...
Old 12-23-2003, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by 98se5speed
If anyone cares, I helped maxdrvr847 save a buncha cash when I did his remote start / alarm. He only had 1 key for his 99, which also had a broken top so it was able to come off the ring (either that or it was nearly broken, either way, not cool.) Since we had to bypass the transponder key system to make the remote start work, we permanently bypassed the system by wiring the bypass module to come on any time the ignition is on. Since my key for my 98 fit into his ignition perfectly, we got him a new key made from a non-transponder blank. His chipped key went into the bypass module, and we were able to start the car either remotely or by using the non-chip key in the ignition.

Disadvantage here is that the transponder system is effectively permanently bypassed, but since we were installed a full alarm also, (and he wasn't too worried about security anyways) it wasn't a big deal. If someone wanted to simply bypass the transponder system, you can install the bypass module by itself then go out and get all the $3 keys you want.

Here's the bypass module that I used, other manufacturers probably make similar ones.

http://www.caraudio-caralarms.com/555U.html

Anyone looking for more info, PM me or send me an email

Hey I got remore start, We had to put one of the original keys in the transponder thing to bypass the system. So now it reads it as always there. I got a generic key made and the car wont turn over so I dont know what the deal is.
I do need a back up key though so I think I might get a genuine Nissan chip key and get someone to program it or I went to a locksmith and they sell a generic chip key for like $35, they program it 4 free and it holds up to 5 different programs. Id check your local locksmiths to see if they can do the same thing.....
Old 12-23-2003, 04:31 PM

The chip is small. Nissan used to make them blue, but changed to key body color (black) so it would look better.

Just look where the metal part of the key molds to the base, you'll see on one side, a rectangular piece that's wedged in there. That's your chip.

If you were going to drill father up, it'll probably be ok BUT I don't know how far up the metal goes.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:42 PM

My point is mister genius..............that chipped key or not....a theif doesnt care. 5mins to do a tow truck........I doubt it...try less than 2 if that. Tow trucks that are used by repo places........slip under the front wheels in seconds.........parking brake on? Not a problem........cut the line under the car...30sceonds........within 2mins max..your car is gone. Did I mention your sleeping. If you dont think a car will get stripped in your front yard. How come a ton of guys are coming out in the morning to have their HID lights missing, radios gone etc........crazy isnt it.

[QUOTE=BOSS]
Originally Posted by infinitiblast
Screw driving it........I'll just put it on a tow truck........so thats makes it 100%...QUOTE]

what are you talking about man? Tow truck? Where did that come from? Maybe you ought to look at some statistics before you say something stupid again. If you did, you'd know that pretty much all of mid-class cars like Maximas are driven away when stolen, NOT towed away! I can understand towing away a Benz, but who will bother towing away a Maxima?!

Besides, it takes a decent thief seconds to steal/drive off in a 4th gen Maxima without the chip. Now it would take something like 5 minutes to steal it by towing. Also, it's not like your Maxima is going to get stripped for freakin parts or towed infront of your own house or apartment complex - that happens .01% of the time!
Old 12-24-2003, 05:32 AM

yeah my friends are so full of confusion. My friend that has a 98 max.......is always talking about the differences in our keys. Lord and you talk about me and where my post come from.........
Originally Posted by BOSS
...it's always funny to see ppl with 98-and-under Maxima models full of confusion - many don't know 99's came with a chip, which makes the key worth $100, not $5 like for all other 4th gen's.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:43 PM

Most cars that are stolen are stolen to be stripped down to be sold for parts. Thats why a lot of GM vehicles top the list year in and year out. Who in their right mind would steal an oldsmobile cutlass? Our cars arent that interchangable even with other nissan vehicles. I dont remember seeing Maximas up there as far as "top 10 vehicles stolen in the US". Keep in mind any car can be stolen. I park my car in my yard, alarm on and Rottweilers walking around and I havent had a problem.

GEAUX LSU TIGERS