4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Power antenna wont go up, why?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 10:37 PM

Power antenna wont go up, why?!

Hey all. The power antenna has never worked since I got the car and I want it to work. Any ideas why it isnt working? I recently took apart the whole center console and everything behind my Bose HU is connected correctly so what gives? Any ideas on what I should do or what the problem could be?
Old 12-25-2003, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by JeremyMarkham
Hey all. The power antenna has never worked since I got the car and I want it to work. Any ideas why it isnt working? I recently took apart the whole center console and everything behind my Bose HU is connected correctly so what gives? Any ideas on what I should do or what the problem could be?
Whoa, you made a lot of work for yourself there. . .

Best place to start would be at the antenna motor and wand assembly itself (in the trunk). Usually, the telescoping wands get bent and no longer raise, or the motors wear out.

Unplug the wiring harness connector from the antenna motor and using a multimeter, check for voltage from the 12v supply wire when the stereo is turned on (power button) by a helper, while you are metering this connection.

(When the stereo is powered on, a 12v signal is sent to the antenna wiring harness to power the antenna motor & raise the antenna).

If you're showing 12v on the multimeter, good. Now, check for continuity on the wiring connections on the motor itself. If continuity is good, then the antenna wand is probably jammed, in which case it must be replaced. If continuity is poor, then either the motor or wiring is bad inside the motor assembly.

If you don't know what I'm talking about here, go buy yourself a Hayne's manual and a multimeter & start reading.

Good luck!

-K-
Old 12-25-2003, 11:11 PM

Thanks for that...I will make this a weekend project! I dont have signal problems but thought I would look into why it isnt working. Isnt there an antenna molded into the rear window or something like that?