4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Hub/Wheel Bearing Gurus needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 10:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hub/Wheel Bearing Gurus needed

I recently had a terrible noise from my front passenger wheel. See this thread . I had my wheel bearing replaced and the problem is fixed BUT the shop says I need a new hub. They couldn't get one until next week so they just put the car back together. My question is do I REALLY need a new hub. The bearing made noise (although a terrible noise) about 5 times over the course of a week. My new bearing has a 12 month/12k mile warranty on the old hub. Should I replace the hub or just gamble that the bearing will last. I looked at the bearing replacement howto and it looked too complicated for me so I am guessing the hub will be just as bad if not worse.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:17 AM

Another option would be to get a replacement hub from a salvage yard.

Could very well be bad. I remember reading that if you need to move the car with NO axle in place that you MUST put at least the axle hub and bolt in place or it will ruin the bearing. I doubt that you did this,but it does indicate that they can go bad.

Mike
Old 12-27-2003, 11:48 AM

My dude says "Replace dat sh#$ " if not that noise will come back and you may end up needing a new front end..

Good Luck !
Old 12-28-2003, 12:17 AM

Having just changed the bearings myself, I don't think you need to change the hub.

Did they say WHY the hub needs to be replaced???

The hub is just a solid piece of steel that the bearing is pressed onto. The bearings take all the wear, not the hub. I've ran with deteriorating bearings for a couple of months before replacing the bearings and I just changed the bearings only. There was nothing wrong with the hub.

I'd ask the shop for the reason why they think the hub needs to be replaced and post the reason on the forum.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by cyjad
Having just changed the bearings myself, I don't think you need to change the hub.

Did they say WHY the hub needs to be replaced???

The hub is just a solid piece of steel that the bearing is pressed onto. The bearings take all the wear, not the hub. I've ran with deteriorating bearings for a couple of months before replacing the bearings and I just changed the bearings only. There was nothing wrong with the hub.

I'd ask the shop for the reason why they think the hub needs to be replaced and post the reason on the forum.

Thats exactly right, The shop is probably trying to rape you for some more money! lol. Hubs rarely ever go bad, as a matter of fact people would probably only change a hub if the studs were messed up (even though you can change each stud individually) or if the hub was physically/structurally damaged.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Show Maxima
Thats exactly right, The shop is probably trying to rape you for some more money! lol. Hubs rarely ever go bad, as a matter of fact people would probably only change a hub if the studs were messed up (even though you can change each stud individually) or if the hub was physically/structurally damaged.
They probably do just want more money. What makes me even more mad is the fact that since they couldn't get a hub when they did my bearing they just put my car back together and then told me I needed a new hub. So now if I do decide to get a new hub they want me to pay the labor to take the whole thing apart again. Anyday, I will talk to the guy tomorrow and post back.