4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clutch Repacement, Not for the Faint hearted...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 11:31 AM

Clutch Repacement, Not for the Faint hearted...

Well, I'm taking a rest from removing the clutch on my 96 Maxima.

For anyone contemplating the move, it's not for the faint of heart, takes some mechanical ability. My first (worst) problem was getting the right side axle bearing out. I finally managed to get it to crack open just a bit and then managed to get the tip of a screwdriver in and from there was able to get it to spread apart, using increasing sizes of screwdrivers/punches.

Another headache is getting two bolts out from behind the tranny, on the back side of the motor. The Chilton manual talks about removing the lower motor mounts and crossmember, however, I found that with about 2 feet of LONG extensions, I was able to remove the back bolt on the shifter fulcrum and the one of the bolts that holds the block to the tranny by accessing them THROUGH the hole where the right side axle was removed. I'm sure that this is a hint that Chilton's never thought of (their manuals are usually very generic).

There were two other bolts on the bottom of the tranny/engine that you can loosen, but can't get out because the crossmember is in place. Not a problem, just leave them sit there, once out of the tranny, there's no problem.

I lowered the tranny with a chain hoist that I have, and I'll use it to raise the tranny as well. I'm sure that it's gonna be a problem to get it to fit back into place, but that comes with the territory. I used this on my daughter's 92 Talon, and worked great.

Old clutch was down to about .240 inch, the new one is about .330, for what it's worth...

Also, the new clutch kit came with a center bearing for inside the crankshaft, but there is no protrusion on the shaft that goes into it. So, there's no reason to change it.

Weather is warming up (here in Minnesota) and the garage (with a kerosine heater) isn't too bad.

Mike
Old 12-27-2003, 01:51 PM

Just replaced mine last week (96 as well) good luck with it. it seemed to go up a lot easier than it came down.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:09 PM

Im in the middle of changing my clutch too.... good luck to you and hopfuly mine will turn out good too.

A tip i can give you is when you put your tranny back in yours a hydrolic car jack if you have one, use one person to ballance the tranny and anothere to work the jack...this way u can get the tranny up to the motor as stright as possable.

Chris
Old 12-28-2003, 08:41 AM

Chris,

I found that the chain hoist worked wonderful! No balancing, fit right into place.

Just have to finish putting the battery tray and air cleaner back in, close to done.

Hope your job goes well. I didn't realize that there were so many guys that were going through the same thing that I am!

Mike
Old 12-28-2003, 09:52 AM
E36 ETR

Dont give up guys, it gets easier once she is out... Just put my 3rd clutch in a few months ago, get easier every time.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by MaxSpeedSE
Im in the middle of changing my clutch too.... good luck to you and hopfuly mine will turn out good too.

A tip i can give you is when you put your tranny back in yours a hydrolic car jack if you have one, use one person to ballance the tranny and anothere to work the jack...this way u can get the tranny up to the motor as stright as possable.

Chris

I did mine the same way. worked well.