4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

97 GXE Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2001, 09:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I searched the FAQ for this...

How do I tell if my car has keyless entry? I recieved no remote when I got it, the dealer has no idea (shocker) and some dude on eBay is selling key fobs stating they will work with ANY Maxima. I am thinking you need to have some security package to have that feature, but I am not sure how to tell if mine has it. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2001, 09:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you have a GXE with a power driver's seat, you have keyless entry. It's part of the Security and Convenience package along with the seat.
Old 03-01-2001, 10:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks!

No power seats for me, no power antenna, just the basics. This car is just to tide me over til I get that sweet job at Nissan's desert test facility in AZ...got my fingers crossed...
Old 03-01-2001, 10:12 PM

yup

Power seats usually indicate the presence of the Package.

You might even have the security system as well. Check if you have a little red light thats labelled "SECURITY" next to your steering wheel (left).

The dealer will/should know...there is supposed to be some grey box that is located near the front or in the trunk(???) that indicates the existance of the keyless entry system or where the harness plugs in.

Actually, do a search for this topic, cuz i remember it was brought up about a few months ago with the EXACT details.

Hope this helps (sorry for my lack of knowledge hehe)

Though any good Nissan mechanic at your dealer SHOULD know if its installed or not...did you buy this car from a nissan dealer? or a 3rd party?
Old 03-02-2001, 05:59 AM

Look for the Multi-Remote Control Relay

Originally posted by Shamus375PA
I searched the FAQ for this...

How do I tell if my car has keyless entry? I recieved no remote when I got it, the dealer has no idea (shocker) and some dude on eBay is selling key fobs stating they will work with ANY Maxima. I am thinking you need to have some security package to have that feature, but I am not sure how to tell if mine has it. Thanks!
This response is based on information from the '99 Maxima factory service manual. I'm hoping your Maxima is wired the same way.

The manual refers to the keyless remote feature as the Multi-Remote Control System. It uses a Multi-Remote Control Relay. Look to see if your car has this relay.

1) Open the trunk. Remove the trunk compartment floor carpet and the fiberboard spare tire cover. These are removed with your hands; no tools are required.

2) Remove the cardboard trunk trim which surrounds the latch mechanism. The five plastic fasteners which secure it are quarter-turn latches and come loose easily when turned with a Phillips head screwdriver.

3) Look at the area of the trunk latch mechanism, made visible by removal of the the trim panel. Locate electrical connector T5. This is a brown plastic connector with 6 terminal positions. If your Maxima does not have the keyless entry feature you will find connector T5 taped up so it does not rattle, but with no relay plugged into it.

4) Reinstall all the trim you removed.

This whole operation should take three minutes.
Old 03-02-2001, 06:16 AM

Little red light

Originally posted by Matrix
... You might even have the security system as well. Check if you have a little red light thats labelled "SECURITY" next to your steering wheel (left). ...
That's not a reliable indicator. It may depend on the model year of the car. My '99 GXE has the Security panel with a blinking red LED, but it does not have Keyless Remote.
Old 03-02-2001, 06:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

No keyless entry

Thanks to all who responded, I have no keyless entry...no blinking LED, no box in the trunk...

Am I to understand that all I need is the box? Would I need a relay/actuator for the trunk, or could I just not use that feature. Thanks again for all the help!

Old 03-02-2001, 06:47 AM

It's not that simple

Originally posted by Shamus375PA
... Am I to understand that all I need is the box? ...
It's not that simple. You need more than "the box". The presence or absence of the Multi-Remote Control Relay was cited only as a test for whether your Maxima has the feature.
Old 03-02-2001, 06:11 PM

red light

Daniel, do you have the security system installed in your car though? (hence the light)

Because I was under the impression (at least for my model year), that the security system package would automatically include the keyless entry. I.e. you could not get the security system without also getting keyless entry.

At worst, you could probably take it down to a Nissan dealer and have a mechanic try to activate a remote on your car, if it fails, then there is no keyless entry
Old 03-02-2001, 06:27 PM

Plain Jane

Daniel, do you have the security system installed in your car though? (hence the light)
It does not. I bought the car new and have the original window sticker. It is a '99 GXE 5-speed Plain Jane model. The only option on the car is floor mats. This Plain Jane is so plain it even has a fixed mast radio antenna. No power up and down. No manual up and down.
Old 03-02-2001, 06:51 PM

wow!

I never knew that Maxima's were sold without power antenna!

This is all news to me.

But then again, I also thought all Maxima's had wood trim. Well, so the sales rep told me. He had me test drive a model with the wood trim, and he said, you can buy the exact car you test drove for 35,000 (CDN). So I agreed. Then we went through the usual bargaining process, and he said he would bring it down by $500.00. Sensing that they wouldnt go any lower, I bought it. When i drove it home, I noticed NO WOOD TRIM. When I called the guy up he said that the wood trim was a $500.00 option. GEE I WONDER HOW YOU GUYS REDUCED THE CAR BY $500.00 COINCIDENTALLY ENOUGH.

Needless to say, I hate the Nissan dealers...I bought the car back in 1997 when Maxima's were selling so poorly many people didn't even know what a Maxima was.

Oh well, thats my daily rant.
Old 03-03-2001, 08:24 AM

Plain Jane is a cheap date

I never knew that Maxima's were sold without power antenna! ...
This '99 GXE Plain Jane cost only US$16,620. That's low money for a new Maxima, even the base model.