4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Is it possible to change the color of the gauge needles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 11:14 AM

Is it possible to change the color of the gauge needles?

I have a GXE, so I picked up a set of white face gauges so I can pretend I have an SE (not really)... The gauges are backlit, so they are "superwhite" at night. Here's the link CLICK. So here's my question - is it possible to change the needle color so it contrasts with the gauges at night? Red or blue or whatever. Thanks for any input...
Old 01-07-2004, 11:20 AM
nycmaximas member

Originally Posted by OneToughMax
I have a GXE, so I picked up a set of white face gauges so I can pretend I have an SE (not really)... The gauges are backlit, so they are "superwhite" at night. Here's the link CLICK. So here's my question - is it possible to change the needle color so it contrasts with the gauges at night? Red or blue or whatever. Thanks for any input...
Use a sharpie marker or try these needles they look nice almost like the BMW red???
Old 01-07-2004, 03:51 PM

Thanks for the link. Those needles look pretty slick. I wonder if I could do that myself. Anybody know what size the bulbs are behind the needles? I bet I could do an LED conversion...
Old 01-07-2004, 04:00 PM
nycmaximas member

Thanks for the link. Those needles look pretty slick. I wonder if I could do that myself. Anybody know what size the bulbs are behind the needles? I bet I could do an LED conversion...
Try this...gauge lights hope its what you needed... and the size bulbs are #194 If you have a 98-99 Its different #74
Old 01-07-2004, 07:54 PM
My heroine

It's not bulbs behind the needles that the ones from importintelligence use. They give you a sticky ring wired with three tiny (I mean really really really tiny) leds that sit right under the needle. When the leds are on, the light is transmitted thru the needle, making it glow.. really cool product, kinda a pain to install, not something you could really do yourself just with leds. If you end up doing this, I would recommend sanding the backs of the needles, to get a more even color. I didn't do it, and my needles don't light up all exactly even, which ****es me off, but i'm too lazy as of yet to take the dash apart again to fix it.

wJ
Old 01-08-2004, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by willis
If you end up doing this, I would recommend sanding the backs of the needles, to get a more even color. I didn't do it, and my needles don't light up all exactly even, which ****es me off, but i'm too lazy as of yet to take the dash apart again to fix it.
thanks for the tip! I'm switching my gauge faces anyway, so I'm going to take a look and see if I want to tackle it or not!
Old 01-08-2004, 08:14 AM

I installed the import intelligence kit and love the look. I have a few pics of the install, but I dont think I have any from after.
Originally I had used a blue sharpie marker on the needles (which I think was mentioned on their site) but they ended up looking some weird purple in the sun, so I scraped that off and used a metallic blue model paint. They're not as bright at night, but they still glow, and they look great during the day
Old 01-08-2004, 09:19 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i wish i could find actual RED needles instead of that damn orange.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by zboy
I have a few pics of the install, but I dont think I have any from after.
would you care to post them or email them to me?