4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Auto tranny shifting WAY to early

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 10:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Auto tranny shifting WAY to early

I thought I was crazy at first but my auto tranny is definitely shifting early. I mean that now when pressing the gas the same amount as I always do the RPM's hardly climb before shifting into the next gear. It started after I cleaned my throttle body. I also took off the TPS sensor. Would any of this affect the tranny? The shifts also tend to be sluggish but the tranny is not slipping and does great at WOT. The transmission has 91k on it and I had it flushed with synthetic at 50k. Any suggestions?
Old 01-08-2004, 05:57 AM

Yup...taking that thing off could mess things up. You need to reset the ECU then run the procedure to check for codes in the auto ECU unit. That procedure has you selecting gears and setting WOT etc. Someone has posted the procedure on the forum before, so search for that. It will make a world of difference! BTW...you need to do that procedure every time you monkey with the idle speed so the auto will know where the TPS has set the idle and WOT.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:51 AM
Hooooooonda.....

You said you took of the TPS, did you put it back on? Early shifts probably have something to do with the TPS. To check you could just get on the road and step on the gas all the way. If it shifts bfore 6500-6600k rpm then there is something wrong. Then again maybe not since at WOT the ECU runs differently than part throttle. Maybe everything is fine and you just don't know it. My auto changes gears below 2k if I barely push down on the pedal.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:26 AM

check your throttle cable on the throttle body also, if it is not tight you might not be getting WOT.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by 96sleeper
check your throttle cable on the throttle body also, if it is not tight you might not be getting WOT.
i notice my throttle cable might be a bit loose. How tight should it be? Should there be any flex at all when tighten?
Old 01-08-2004, 09:29 AM
Hooooooonda.....

if you do it too tight the the cables will apply pressure to the throttle. Tighten it as much as you can and make sure the engine doesn't get louder meaning it's applying the throttle. Hope that helps.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by goldmax
Yup...taking that thing off could mess things up. You need to reset the ECU then run the procedure to check for codes in the auto ECU unit. That procedure has you selecting gears and setting WOT etc. Someone has posted the procedure on the forum before, so search for that. It will make a world of difference! BTW...you need to do that procedure every time you monkey with the idle speed so the auto will know where the TPS has set the idle and WOT.
Any more info on this? Are you talking about a tranny ECU or the main ECU? I havn't been able to see what the WOT shift is at because it is wet out and I can't get any traction in first.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:52 PM

WOT shifts are fine. I just pulled the tranny code and got - "Throttle sensor circuit is shorted or disconnected." I did remove the sensor when I cleaned by TB but I put it back, adjusted it, and plugged it back in. I checked the plug and it is tight. What about the sensor do I need to check and by doing this process did I reset the tranny computer?
Old 01-09-2004, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by WaarrEagle
WOT shifts are fine. I just pulled the tranny code and got - "Throttle sensor circuit is shorted or disconnected." I did remove the sensor when I cleaned by TB but I put it back, adjusted it, and plugged it back in. I checked the plug and it is tight. What about the sensor do I need to check and by doing this process did I reset the tranny computer?
The process i'm referring to is the followup in the shop manual that is recommended after resetting the idle speed. The process has you run thru the gears manually turning on and off the OD, pushing the accelerator to the floor (sets WOT) etc. If that's the procedure your doing and your still getting the error, then you have a problem. If you are reading the code off the main ECU ( the one directly under the radio, etc.) then you will probably keep getting the error code until you clear the auto computer. I'm hoping that's still your problem. Someone posted the procedure on the forum a while back, but it would be hard to find since the search feature has been shut off.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by goldmax
The process i'm referring to is the followup in the shop manual that is recommended after resetting the idle speed. The process has you run thru the gears manually turning on and off the OD, pushing the accelerator to the floor (sets WOT) etc. If that's the procedure your doing and your still getting the error, then you have a problem. If you are reading the code off the main ECU ( the one directly under the radio, etc.) then you will probably keep getting the error code until you clear the auto computer. I'm hoping that's still your problem. Someone posted the procedure on the forum a while back, but it would be hard to find since the search feature has been shut off.
I have access to the search but havn't been able to find what you are talking about. The only procedure I have found is the one to pull the code from the tranny:
AT diagnostic
__________________________________________________ ________________

95-97
1. Start engine and warm to normal operating temp with O/D off.
2. Turn ignition swith to off postiton wait 5 sec.
3. Turn ignition switch to the ACC position.
4. Put O/D to ON.
5. Move shifter to P, turn ignition on but don't start engine.
6. The OD light should come on for about 2 secs.
a. if light does not come on somthing is wrong with the trans. computer.
b. if light comes on proceed to no 7.
7. Turn ignigton key to off.
8. Turn ignition key to on, don't start engnie.
9. Move shift lever to D, trun ignition to off.
10. Put O/D switch to off position.
11. Turn ignition off.
12. Put O/D to off, turn ignition ON wait 2sec and move shifter to the 2 position.
13. Put O/D to on, move shifter to 1 position.
14. Put O/D to off, depress accelerator all the way to floor and release.
15. The computer is now in output mode and will start displaying the codes.

There’s one long flash that signifies the start of the sequence. Following
should be 10 short flashes. Then it
repeats.
Remember the first long flash indcates the start of the sequence followed by

All 10 flashes the same = No error codes read at this time
1st flash longer than others = Revolution sensor is shorted or disconnected.
2nd flash longer than others = Speed sensor circuit is shorted or disconnected.
3rd flash longer than others = Throttle sensor circuit is shorted or
disconnected.
4th flash longer than others = Shift solenoid “A” circuit is shorted or
disconnected
5th flash longer than others = Shift solenoid “B” circuit is shorted or
disconnected
6th flash longer than others = Overrun clutch solenoid circuit is shorted or
disconnected
7th flash longer than others = Lock-up solenoid circuit is shorted or
disconnected
8th flash longer than others = Fluid temperature sensor is disconnected or A/T
control unit power source
circuit is damaged.
9th flash longer than others = Engine revolution signal circuit is shorted or
disconnected
10th flash longer than others = Line pressure solenoid circuit is shorted or
disconnected

All the same with no long start flash = Battery low, been disconnected, or
control unit has just been
reconnected.

I got the 3rd code BTW. Anyone know what the other procedure is or have a link to it?
Old 01-09-2004, 02:05 PM

That's the one! It should clear any erroneous codes or tell you if you really have something wrong. Just follow the procedure. It made a huge difference when I reset the idle speed. It lets the auto computer know where idle and WOT is. Hope you get by with an easy fix!