4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Insurance Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 06:31 PM

Insurance Issues

Anybody know the deal with insurance in this country? A few months ago I had a minor fender bender. Basically I was behind a guy at a yeild sign. He went and I looked left to see if any traffic was coming. For what ever reason I dont know, he decided to stop and my passenger side bumper clipped his Ford Tempo's rear driver side bumper. The thing must of been dry rotted or something because I wasnt even going 6 mph and it shattered on that side. Anyways, it couldnt of been that much to repair. GEICO says they are dropping me because I had a similar accident in 01 except I was in a Sentra (no damage at all, I went to the adjuster and he said where's the damage and I said your looking at it), I dont even think they had to repaint the bumper just do a touch up, no damage or injuries. The other accident was a minor bumper hit in rush hour traffic on 410. Again no relevant damage or injuries. Now all these accidents combined couldnt be no more than $1500 (including rental vehicles, etc). I understand that this is 3 minor accidents in 3 years however I have been with GEICO for over 5 years. Is this injustice or what? I mean one accident can easily run over $10,000 or so. I guess they dont take circumstances into account, or the fact that you live in a large metro area these minor things are going to happen, that's why we pay higher premiums. Anybody recommend a fair insurance company? Thanks for any input.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:37 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

try the insurance forums
Old 01-08-2004, 07:15 PM

Uh, anybody had a positive experience with insurance companys?
Old 01-08-2004, 07:29 PM

Try State Farm or AllState
Old 01-08-2004, 11:16 PM

Insurance companies don't care about the severity of an accident. The fact is, if you were there, you're getting screwed. Doesn't even matter if it wasn't your fault. No fault accidents still count against your insurance premiums - because their reasoning is that if you had a no fault accident, even if you weren't issued a ticket, you were still there, and chances are, you're going to be in the wrong place at the wrong time again in the future, and they (insurance) are going to have to pay for you. it's total bs, but that's how it is
Old 01-08-2004, 11:39 PM

This is exactly why people always ask to settle without making a police report, and why they go to such lengths to avoid speeding tickets! Sorry it happened to you though...could have just as easily been any one of us. At least they were minor accidents where no one was hurt!
Old 01-09-2004, 05:35 AM

IMO, Geico is a good insurance company. They have very good rates and service (my own experiences dealing with them for over 5 years). However, they are very selective as to who they want to insure. This is whay they can offer better rates. You have to have a fairly clean driving record and license to be insured by them. Reporting 3 claims in one year is not clean! Also look at your deductibles for collison coverage. I'm sure you either have $500 or $1000 (if you're trying to save more insurance). You have to learn not to call your insurance company and submit a claim if the repairs are below your deductibles or else you're shooting yourself in the foot. Not only are you paying for it anyway, you have just racked up more accident claims.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:57 AM

Try AAA or 21st Century. I had policies with them before and were happy with the rate and claim service.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by JaTaN
Try State Farm or AllState

I copied this out of my rant in another post.

I have state farm. I had a couple windshields replace on different cars. I would not get the chip fixed and eventually they would crack and I'd get them replaced. I had, and you'll see why I say had in a minute, a $0 deductable on comprehensive (windshield falls into that) and a $250 dedutable on collision. I recently received notice, state farm will now only let me carry $500/$500 dedectables because of too many claims. I have 2 claims that were collision under $700 because a couple of my cars were hit while parked. the rest were glass related. I have 10 claims total over the last 15 years and that's appareently too much for them. 3 of my 10 are for new windshields and 5 of the 10 are $50 chip repairs. The whole reason I got chips done was while waiting at the claims office once for one of my collision claims I saw a sign that said "don't wait until that rock chip becomes a crack. We'll take care of it for you" It explained how it's better in the long run and so on. After getting notice about my deductable change I contacted my agent and asked him why. He said State Farm's standard policy holders have only one glass claim every 10 years and I had way too many. What the ?. Do they actually dirve and if so where? I' m ready to change companies but they all suck and will screw you any way they can. Insurance is simply a prepaid loan and when you take an "advance" for a claim you get screwed on your rates to repay it double.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:01 PM

Hummmm, no positive insurance experiences. Also, that was three accidents in 3 years not 3 accidents in 1 year.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by sharkulator
Uh, anybody had a positive experience with insurance companys?
screw insurance companies, i have one ticket and 2 minor acidents and my insurance is 650 a month and the one of the accidents wasn't even my fault.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:28 PM

$650 just for your Max? D@mnnn!
Old 01-09-2004, 07:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

USAA & Metlife

I had an at-fault accident with USAA, and they paid completely. I figured that I'd paid about $3000 in insurance by the time of the accident, and the accident total was over $3500 just for my car, so I can't complain there... I didn't have a problem, except that I was on my parent's policy at the time, and my dad had 2 previous accident claims within 3 years, so that made it 3 in 3 years, and they would have put us on high risk. So I've switched to MetLife auto, and I pay $232 a month with one at fault accident and one speeding ticket. Luckily, I haven't made a claim with them yet, so I don't know how that goes.

That's about it...

$650 per month is f***ing outrageous...
Old 01-09-2004, 08:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maxima98vspec
screw insurance companies, i have one ticket and 2 minor acidents and my insurance is 650 a month and the one of the accidents wasn't even my fault.
thats rediculouse
Old 01-09-2004, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by sharkulator
$650 just for your Max? D@mnnn!
yea f*****g @$$holes, im going with allstate with my next insurance. im gonna go and live in europe, down there u don't have to have insurance, and to get ur car fix is cheap. And if u do get insurance its only like 10 bucks, that's what my uncle says.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by maxima98vspec
yea f*****g @$$holes, im going with allstate with my next insurance. im gonna go and live in europe, down there u don't have to have insurance, and to get ur car fix is cheap. And if u do get insurance its only like 10 bucks, that's what my uncle says.

I dont know about that, I dont think anything is cheap in Europe except the hoodrats, oh, they are cheap everywhere!! Just kidding. I think I will try one of these rinky dink companies. In 6 months one of those accidents will be off my record and I can get coverage with a reputable insurance company (is that an oxymoron?). By the way if anybody is here in Texas and interested a friend of mine who works at USAA emailed me this:

Yes I am still as USAA doing home insurance now. But, yes anytime you call your insurance company or a claim gets reported and your found at fault they will put that on your record and it will show up as at fault accident. So, even though there minor maybe less than $1,000 payout it's still will come up as at fault and your rates will go up. All insurance companies have access to this database called "CLUE" and any claim or tickect will show up. So, even though you're leaving GEICO the new companies will have access to the "CLUE" system and know about the accidents. (So it would be best just to be upfront with them and tell them of any accidents in last 3 yrs) Now, if you feel any of these accidents werent your fault you may want to talk with your insurance company and appeal the fact that you're listed at fault. If you are at fault, then dont even bother. Also if you're looking for new coverage there is a statewide website: www.helpinsure.com that list many of the Texas insurance companies. My friend has some small type insurance company I get a number when she gets back into town. For future reference if you have a small bumper accident and say at most they need a new bumper to avoid it even going on your insurance you may want to just offer to pay for it out of pocket.