4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

braking vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 11:43 PM

braking vibrations

After driving on highways, i get vibrations when i am braking and coming to a stop. I changed my brake pads 2 months ago. I never had this problem before. Normal driving is fine. If heat a factor? I really dunno.... can anyone help?
Old 01-09-2004, 12:07 AM
ABK

you prolly got warped rotors. That's what my friends mom's car used to do until I replaced the rotors and brake pads on that pc of ****. 2001 galant and already breaks like crazy, headgasket leaking and hear some valve knock (POS car of the year).
Old 01-09-2004, 12:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ABK
you prolly got warped rotors. That's what my friends mom's car used to do until I replaced the rotors and brake pads on that pc of ****. 2001 galant and already breaks like crazy, headgasket leaking and hear some valve knock (POS car of the year).
Yup, warped rotors. You might be better off getting them resurfaced at a local repair shop. Replacing them is probably not needed. If your pads have a good amount of life left, you shouldn't replace those either. If you can't tell, take it to an honest mechanic (if there are any in your area) and ask if the pads are in need of replacing. It's a good time to do that while you are getting the rotors machined/resurfaced.

D
Old 01-09-2004, 12:17 AM

how much would it cost for a resurface?
Old 01-09-2004, 05:24 AM

I believe some stores charge from $10-15/rotor. Also I was told to be safe, the rotors should not be resurfaced more than 2 times since you are reducing the thickness of the rotor everytime you shave it.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:34 AM

yeah, if you can feel the vibrations you'll probably won't be able to resuface the the rotor..?
Old 01-09-2004, 08:01 AM

If you have time, try to index the rotors first. It really works. I used to have slight vibration just before a stop (no vibration when braking at high speed). After the indexing, braking is very smooth now.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:22 AM

I agree with big-al...if you can already feel vibration in the braking, you will probably do no good resurfacing the rotors. Trust me, I wasted that money and tried it, and they warped very quickly again. This is kind of a problem for Maximas, their rotors are pretty thin anyway, so if they get resurfaced even once, they will warp in a heartbeat. I would recommend just getting new ones. I found new ones that get put on as replacements at dealerships for $20 per rotor. That is only $5 more per rotor than getting them resurfaced and you have a lot more guarantee that they will be okay. Remember, most of the braking is done on the front, and I would bet money that you only have to replace the front rotors. I wouldn't even touch the back ones. In semi-normal driving, I have not ever seen the back rotors get warped or worn on.
(I just called around to different parts stores and asked prices for my year max, and found them for $20 per rotor. You should be able to do the same. They are also very easy to put on yourself. If you have ever changed brake pads, you can do your rotors. Just ask)
Old 01-09-2004, 08:33 AM

At least if you cannot seem to find them at the price I was saying, you could get them here for a little more. I would not necessarily go with the Brembo that are on here, because they are not cross-drilled or anything. They weigh the same as the others listed on the page, and cost more. Here is the link:

http://www.thepartsbin.com/nissan-maxima-parts.html

Let me know what you come up with.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:02 AM

i see some rotors at autozone for $21-$27. Would these be ok?

heres the link: http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...26.99%7C%7ENIS
Old 01-09-2004, 10:06 AM

darn.. link doesnt work..
try this one http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...+ROTOR+-+FRONT
Old 01-09-2004, 11:04 AM
DoGGy

i have same problem but mine is alot worse. i was told that my rotors are bad. i need to have em checked out and see if i should resurface or buy new ones.

Old 01-09-2004, 11:10 AM

I have vibrations similar to that, and I replaced the rotors. Noise was still there immediately after. Also replaced the axle and hub bearing, still there. Replacing suspension all around with new mounts tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes. If it's still there after that, I'll replace the whole damn control arm and bushings as well.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:16 AM

Yeah, xelementx those AIMCO should work fine. They are actually a little lighter than the ones that I looked up on that nissanpartsbin website. (about a half a lb per rotor...not too much, but when dealing with wheels, you don't want even one lb of excess weight.) They have a 3 month warranty too.

DoGGy.......I would just get new ones. I wasted money on turning them...follow the link in post #11 and look up those rotors we are talking about. They are only $20 per rotor. That is good. You are going to spend about $15 just to get them turned.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by maxcross
I have vibrations similar to that, and I replaced the rotors. Noise was still there immediately after. Also replaced the axle and hub bearing, still there. Replacing suspension all around with new mounts tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes. If it's still there after that, I'll replace the whole damn control arm and bushings as well.

that sucks, man. Good luck with that.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:45 AM
ABK

yeah I got front rotors from NAPA and back ones from autozone so they work fine. Just make sure when you replace the brake pads you buy some ceramic ones. You prolly will want to replace them anyways because they can cause the new rotors to warp.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:33 PM

As long as the pads are not too worn, they will take on the shape of the new, unwarped rotors. There should not be any need(if the pads are as new as you say they are) to replace the pads.

You can spend the money to get ceramic pads, but all they do it stay a little cooler, and cause less brake dust. All pads cause brake dust...some just more than others. I have some of those GreenStuff that are supposed to be really low dust, and they are not really any different than reg pads. Just get the regular ones and save the money for something else.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:48 PM

I had the same thing happen to me, mine was worst tho had a grinding sound plus vibration. it happened when i change my brakes myself and painted cailpers, i took my max to nissan dealer ship and they fix it with the "maxima Brake upgrade kit" got new rotors, pads , spacers, etc. wasn't cheap to fix this thru the dealership but the upgrade kit they Sold me works great, plus came with Blingin new rotors.

Dont go halfa** on your brake system! or you'll end up like this
Old 01-09-2004, 01:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

resurfaced

i had rotors resurfaced on my old 94 accord after it was vibrating like a ***** on the highway when i braked. It solved the problem, but not to say itll solve yours. rotors arent that difficult to put on are they? with the help of an air gun of course.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by mansurxk
i had rotors resurfaced on my old 94 accord after it was vibrating like a ***** on the highway when i braked. It solved the problem, but not to say itll solve yours. rotors arent that difficult to put on are they? with the help of an air gun of course.

The Accords have different rotors than we do.

they are not difficult at all. You don't need an airwrench. All you need is your tire tool and some wrenches. the only thing that holds the rotor on is the caliper and the wheel being bolted on by the lugs. Not hard at all...takes just a few minutes.