4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Power Steering Box

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2001, 02:43 AM

doesn't some PS fluid say that it has stop leak in it?

i'm not sure how ps fluid with stop leak works, but if so, it may help seal or slow the leak/leaks, either by reconditioning and rejuvenating shrunken seals or physically, through some sort of compound that coagulates at the source of the leak the way stopleak for a radiator works... not sure though...

if it works or helps slow the leak, then it's a cheap fix!!!

-V
Old 05-23-2001, 06:38 AM

Re: Re: Back to hoses...

Originally posted by humaras
would using a synthetic ATF for power steering fluid "help" the leaks that could be occuring? And I was wondering if the synthetic ATF would make noticible turning (easier/harder) to turn the steering wheel?

Synthetic fluid won't fix anything. It will help prevent future problems. In warm weather there shouldn't be any difference in the steering feel. It probably won't get heavy in cold weather the way it does with conventional fluid.
PS fluid is in the catagory of things that should be changed if your definition of "life of the car" is greater than 8 years & 100k miles.
Old 05-23-2001, 11:33 AM

heavier fluid

In the winter I notice the turning of the steering wheel is not as "loose" (easy to turn as it is in warm weather). SO this is a result of the cold and is causing the "harder turning of the steering wheel?
right now I have a mix of ATF and power steering fluid in the PS resrvoir...
I will have it looked into the next time I bring the car in for service.

Originally posted by brubenstein

Synthetic fluid won't fix anything. It will help prevent future problems. In warm weather there shouldn't be any difference in the steering feel. It probably won't get heavy in cold weather the way it does with conventional fluid.
PS fluid is in the catagory of things that should be changed if your definition of "life of the car" is greater than 8 years & 100k miles.
Old 01-04-2002, 08:09 AM

Its leaking again

Just curious, anyone else's power steering rack leaking again? Mine started about 2 weeks ago when the temperature dropped to the 30's.
Old 01-04-2002, 08:22 AM
Lifetime Maxer

Re: Re: Re: when it started

Originally posted by humaras
So pretty much right after you bought it (did you buy it new? and your car is a 99 right?), it had to be refilled? hmmm...that is quite interesting. I have the same problem and mine is a 97 which started only this past winter. Do you know if you have any oil stains (from the leak) on your garage? or no stains? The reason i saw it happening was looking at the driveway and I saw puddles and I thought--what the heck is this...and then I found out it was PS fluid...

I've had to refill it as far back as I can remember...probably as early as half a year after i purchased the car. Sometimes i get lazy and just let it get 1/4" lower than the lowest line and refill it then. Not too sure about the cold/warm weather thing cause it doesn't get too cold in my garage. [/I]
[/QUOTE]

Hey All - I just had this problem too. (last week) It's been really cold here lately, and the power steering rack starting leaking on my 1998 Max SE. I brought it in, and they tightened the "clamp" in the steering rack, which was loose and leaking fluid. They said that this should solve the problem. I did get quotes on a new rack just in case it doesn't, and they suggested a re-built rack from a local place that's very well respected and offers good warranties. The re-built rack runs $500 even, and they said to install would run $200-300. The dealer here in Nashua, NH (which ROCKS byt he way looked at mine and tightened it up/cleaned all the excess fluid off for free! I'm going to stop by in about a week for them to double-check, but should be all set! One thing they did recommend- get as much of the fluid off of the exterior of the clamp/rack as you can, or when you re-tighten, the clamp may not properly seal.... Hope this helps!!
Old 01-04-2002, 01:42 PM

I have a 96se auto with 157,800 miles on it and i have had it since it was new. I have yet to leak an ounce of fluid (original p.s. system). I do flushes/drains to the p.s system every 6 months (regardless) i have no time to be Mr. Frugal! Although the dealer specifies ATF fluid for p.s. use i don't do it, simply because i learned many years ago that ATF fluid tends to be much harder on the seals, thus causing lots of leakage! I use a good power steering fluid with a good conditioner (combo). Again i have not experience a problem whatsoever! The dealers are b.s. Replace your lines once you began to get up there in mileage! Dam butcher shop dealers some want up to $80.00 an hour just for labor, and when they milk the clock forget about it! Best wishes!
Old 01-07-2002, 09:49 PM

Do you do the flushes/drains yourself? How? Can you post the instructions? Also, which brand of power sterring fluid you use?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Steve Marsh
I have a 96se auto with 157,800 miles on it and i have had it since it was new. I have yet to leak an ounce of fluid (original p.s. system). I do flushes/drains to the p.s system every 6 months (regardless) i have no time to be Mr. Frugal! Although the dealer specifies ATF fluid for p.s. use i don't do it, simply because i learned many years ago that ATF fluid tends to be much harder on the seals, thus causing lots of leakage! I use a good power steering fluid with a good conditioner (combo). Again i have not experience a problem whatsoever! The dealers are b.s. Replace your lines once you began to get up there in mileage! Dam butcher shop dealers some want up to $80.00 an hour just for labor, and when they milk the clock forget about it! Best wishes!
Old 01-08-2002, 11:11 AM

Yes I do, i will get them posted as soon as possible, whereas they are very straight forward. I use Prestone powersteering fluid with conditioner (Walmart). Again I will post the info regarding flushes asap.
Old 01-08-2002, 12:20 PM

Here is a good link regarding powersteering flushing/draining. For the costs/protection it is well worth the effort. One other thing to remember, when you rotate your wheels from left to right do so very carefully, "NEVER FORCE" the Steering wheel beyond its limit/stops (could damage the p.s. unit). Just take it easy and slowly left to right. The link that i have provided is very basic and universal. I change my fluid so often (every 6 months) that condensation and or comtaminents do not build up enough to cause the system any harm. Go to Walmart and pick up some Prestone premium p.s. fluid/conditioner. Best Wishes! 96se 158,400 miles original P.S. equipment no issues.
Oh and the link is www.babcox.com/editorial/ic/ic129940.htm

Also be
advised that Ford Motors heavy duty dot-3 brake fluid has a
boiling point of 550 degrees F!! I called a Ford dealer (parts dept) and the parts person read it right off of the can, oh and the costs is under 4.00 per a can!
Old 01-08-2002, 10:18 PM

Thanks!

I have a few questions (sorry about that because I am not really good at this, but I want to try to do it myself):

1. Where is the return hose of the steering gear? How about pressure hose?

2. It mentions connect the pressure to the pump, what pump?

3. How can you crank the engine without starting the car?

4. I think I saw Volvoline has synthetic p.s. fluid, can I use that also?

BTW, how much can of brake fluid do I need if I want to do the fluid change also? Do you do bleeding on all four corners?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Steve Marsh
Go to Walmart and pick up some Prestone premium p.s. fluid/conditioner. Best Wishes! 96se 158,400 miles original P.S. equipment no issues.
Oh and the link is www.babcox.com/editorial/ic/ic129940.htm

Old 01-09-2002, 06:59 AM

No problem, i will post your request asap!
Old 02-17-2002, 06:24 PM

Re: Its leaking again

DW--
hey there man,

I checked on the old messages to see if anyone else had the similar problems I have. I went on a business trip for about 3 weeks, came back and I noticed little (small amounts) of fluid in my driveway from my maxima. Needless to say, I believe it is from the same place as last year because there were a few days here in New York City that was really really cold. I believe that shrunk the seals abit and allowed for some fluid to come out. I was just wondering--did you ever get your clamps changed? or they new clamps and there is still this leak?

let me know how it goes.

Bri
Originally posted by dwk55
Just curious, anyone else's power steering rack leaking again? Mine started about 2 weeks ago when the temperature dropped to the 30's.
Old 02-18-2002, 04:16 AM

I changed one about 5 weeks ago, the one right above the rack. However, I don't think that stopped the leak. I haven't seen any noticable drops since then, but the rack did have some fluid on it last week. Over the summer, not a drop anywhere and the rack was clean until Dec.

I am going to watch it, if its still leaking, I'm going to try the power steering product made by Lucas. Anything but spending $500 to $1000 for a new box. The fluid reservoir is still within the marks.

I been able to wash the car every week in my driveway, even in Albany, during this winter. The warmer winter may be making it less of a problem. It's been great if you don't like snow and road salt.
Old 04-14-2002, 10:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't mean to backfill too much, but I too have the symptoms mentioned in this thread. After this winter my power steering was a little heavier and squeeked when I turned it from stop right to dead center. About a month later I noticed fluid on the drivers CV boot but wasn't sure what it was. Now yesterday I finally figured out it's from the power steering "box". One of the high pressure fittings (on the absolute left side of the car) is leaking onto my CV boots, front sway bar, and finally onto the transmission. I have barely lost any fluid, but I really want to take care of this problem ASAP. I'm just glad it isn't my rack
My car is a '99 with 50k so you guys may want to check your lines to make sure they aren't leaking fluid.
-hype