4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Anyone who has changed 5-speed gear oil.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2001, 08:21 AM
Maxfreak

Question, is there a spring that comes out of the drain plug hole when you drain the gear oil, is it for the plug or something? Cause mine did and I had never heard of this before. I don't hear any painful noises in the gear box and the thing runs fine. Don't want to seem uninformed, but it's proly too late for that. Oh yeah, I've read that the tranny also takes about 4.5 qts of oil, mine only took about 3.5. Let me know who else has dealt with this sort of thing. Gracias.

Old 03-05-2001, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by Maxfreak
Question, is there a spring that comes out of the drain plug hole when you drain the gear oil, is it for the plug or something? Cause mine did and I had never heard of this before. I don't hear any painful noises in the gear box and the thing runs fine. Don't want to seem uninformed, but it's proly too late for that. Oh yeah, I've read that the tranny also takes about 4.5 qts of oil, mine only took about 3.5. Let me know who else has dealt with this sort of thing. Gracias.
ha...i did that same thing...i hope you put the screw and the ball back in...check this out:
https://maxima.org/forums/showthread...1&pagenumber=2
Old 03-05-2001, 09:14 AM

Uh-oh

Uh-oh. You may have removed a shifter detent plug rather than the drain plug.

The location of the 5-speed drain and fill plugs may be seen at:
http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megam...fluid_page.gif

The drain plug is horizontal, low on the transaxle case near the engine, and near the shifter boot. It is fairly small and looks like an ordinary bolt.

The capacity of the 5-speed transaxle is a bit less than 5 US quarts. Since you drained only 3.5 quarts, it could be
- your transaxle was not full
- you didn't remove the correct drain plug
Old 03-05-2001, 09:19 AM
Maxfreak

Crap, I didn't see the ball, guess I better check the drain pan for that, it might come in handy. Would this explain the ease of disengaging the gears? Thanks man.

Originally posted by MacGyver
ha...i did that same thing...i hope you put the screw and the ball back in...check this out:
https://maxima.org/forums/showthread...1&pagenumber=2

Old 03-05-2001, 10:49 AM

Fix this immediately

Crap, I didn't see the ball, guess I better check the drain pan for that, it might come in handy. Would this explain the ease of disengaging the gears? Thanks man.
There are three detents:
- 1st, neutral, 2nd
- 3rd, neutral, 4th
- 5th, neutral, reverse

If you lost the ball from one of them, the gears in that plane would not have the normal "click in" feel. If this is the case you must fix this immediately. The detent mechanisms serve several purposes. One is to act as an interlock, preventing two gears from being engaged at the same time. Suppose, somehow, your transaxle had 2nd and 4th gears engaged at the same time. Know what happens? Boom!
Old 03-05-2001, 10:51 AM
Keven97SE

Re: Uh-oh

Dan, this brings up an interesting thing...I've noticed that my new (used) transmission tends to be difficult sometimes to shift into 1st and 2nd, and sometimes it will actually pop out of 2nd right after I shift. Is it possible that my 1/2 gear detent plug/ball/spring needs to be replaced or cleaned?

Old 03-05-2001, 12:27 PM

Internal defect

Originally posted by Keven97SE
Dan, this brings up an interesting thing...I've noticed that my new (used) transmission tends to be difficult sometimes to shift into 1st and 2nd, and sometimes it will actually pop out of 2nd right after I shift. Is it possible that my 1/2 gear detent plug/ball/spring needs to be replaced or cleaned?
No. This is a probably sign of a defect with the bearings, synchronizers, or shift forks.

Even though the detent is blameless, you could experiment with a stronger spring as a substitute for the original. Understand, this is a measure to compensate for (but not fix) an internal defect.

There is another possibility worth considering. If your engine mounts are damaged, that would allow your engine and tranny to move around more than the designers intended. One consequence is an unintended gear change.