4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Power Steering Leak... *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 06:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Power Steering Leak... *pics*

My max started leaking power steering fluid recently. I've read some threads that discussed a recall on 97 maximas that had loose PS hoses. My car's VIN falls out of the VIN # recall range but it's still a 97. I jacked up the car took the wheel off hoping to find a hose to tighten. I wasn't sure which hose I was supposed to try to tighten (anyone have a pic of the hose that needs to be tightened??) so I got under the car. While under the car I found this.

Chunk of rubber that was ripped:

Rubber was ripped and fell off of this:

More pics of the area:

Anyone have any info on what's going on here? Is that my leak? What is that rubber from? I did take my car to a mechanic and he said I needed a new rack and pinion.. 700 dollars.. =( I was hoping I could just tighten a hose.. =( I'm losing my job at the end of this month, company closing down. I don't want to spend the 700 if I don't have to.

ZuM
Old 01-16-2004, 06:54 PM

my third gen was leaking fluid and I looked everywhere. I finally fount out I had knocked the resevoir with a wrench and the fluid was running down the hose out the bottom of the car. check the backside of the resevoir.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:59 PM

The resevoir for the 4th gen is on the passenger side... All the fluid is leaking on the driver side. I'll look anyway though.

Originally Posted by helaesus2
my third gen was leaking fluid and I looked everywhere. I finally fount out I had knocked the resevoir with a wrench and the fluid was running down the hose out the bottom of the car. check the backside of the resevoir.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:03 PM
Kevlo for President

Fluid looks like it is comming from the rubber boot on the top right in the last picture.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:10 PM
Kevlo for President

You can get a rack and pinion for under a 100$ from www.car-part.com

or new one from here http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...=6&catalogid=1
Old 01-16-2004, 07:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My 3rd gen was leaking so I changed it. The main problem was that the hose had holes. The humming stopped!!!!
Old 01-16-2004, 07:25 PM

COOL!! So is the Rack and Pinion the same as the "Steering Gear" as I see it in the Haynes manual?

Originally Posted by kevlo911
You can get a rack and pinion for under a 100$ from www.car-part.com

or new one from here http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...=6&catalogid=1
Old 01-16-2004, 09:17 PM

i have two brand new hoses i bought for my power steering leak, and it wasnt the problem. its the hoses by the radiatorish area. Let me know if you need them, cause i can sell them to you a lot cheaper than the dealership. They charged me 55 bucks for them!
Old 01-16-2004, 10:41 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by ZuMBLe
My max started leaking power steering fluid recently. I've read some threads that discussed a recall on 97 maximas that had loose PS hoses. My car's VIN falls out of the VIN # recall range but it's still a 97. I jacked up the car took the wheel off hoping to find a hose to tighten. I wasn't sure which hose I was supposed to try to tighten (anyone have a pic of the hose that needs to be tightened??) so I got under the car. While under the car I found this.

Anyone have any info on what's going on here? Is that my leak? What is that rubber from? I did take my car to a mechanic and he said I needed a new rack and pinion.. 700 dollars.. =( I was hoping I could just tighten a hose.. =( I'm losing my job at the end of this month, company closing down. I don't want to spend the 700 if I don't have to.

ZuM
My 98 Maxima leaks a little power steering when its cold out, like it has been for the last few weeks. Once in a while it leaves a drip or two of PS fluid in the driveway. I couldn’t find the source of the leak but your pics look almost identical to the way the 98 steering rack looks, except for that chunk of rubber. Once it warms up in the Spring the leak goes away and I clean the power steering rack up. My theory is that the seals on certain racks shrink in this cold weather and weep power steering fluid because my 96 doesn’t have this problem.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:28 PM

ZuM
Don't know if mine was leaking from there, but I did have a pad PS leak..took it to my mechanic that I trust very well..and he said new rack and pinion...cost me 750..but that also included new cv boots, bushings for the rack and pinion, and 75,000 mile maint....sucks but hopefully this isn't your case.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Phatmax98
Don't know if mine was leaking from there, but I did have a pad PS leak..took it to my mechanic that I trust very well..and he said new rack and pinion...cost me 750..but that also included new cv boots, bushings for the rack and pinion, and 75,000 mile maint....sucks but hopefully this isn't your case.
Did you feel any improvement to your steering? Just curious--the boots and new bushings are nice to have. But if all it did was stop the leaking, I'd rather just keep topping it off. I don't feel my 98 can justify spending nearly a grand on it when it hasn't even reached 90k yet.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:00 AM

One day my car was parked outside and it leaked a good sized puddle. Maybe a 12 inches in diameter. My car has been in the garage not moving since and it's leaked a few drops. I'm guessing I will have to replace the whole rack and pinion. I think the rubber is just there to isolate metal on metal contact. I don't think it's a seal. I see a lot dirt stuck to fluid on top of the silver thing in the last pic.

Originally Posted by Phatmax98
Old 01-17-2004, 08:29 AM
Kevlo for President

I would buy a used one, from a 99 so you know it will last long. Also 99's have better steering(but no ones knows if it is the pump in the 99 or the rack/pinion)
Old 01-17-2004, 08:48 AM

Hey, I just noticed mine does that too. But doesn't leak when the car is sitting there. It just leaks when the car is on. I took my car to my shop and he said it might be my rack and pinion. He didn't know for sure, b/c we couldn't get my car on the lift. I think it's my return hose from looking in my Haynes book.
Zumble, can you give me a link or the range for the the loose hoses?
Old 01-17-2004, 11:16 AM

I just turned my car on and got a drip too! Just took the car off the jackstands and saw no fluid. Turned the car on to warm and I got a drop. =(

The PS return hose seems to be on the passenger side of the car along with he pump. My drip is coming from the driver side.

Here is the link:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....+Steering+Leak

Originally Posted by Supa Lao
Hey, I just noticed mine does that too. But doesn't leak when the car is sitting there. It just leaks when the car is on. I took my car to my shop and he said it might be my rack and pinion. He didn't know for sure, b/c we couldn't get my car on the lift. I think it's my return hose from looking in my Haynes book.
Zumble, can you give me a link or the range for the the loose hoses?
Old 01-17-2004, 11:20 AM
Pizda Boy

haha . . . i just have the same problem...

my mechanic told me i need a new rack & pinion too. . . he said it's a common problem with maximas. . .I've never heard anyone complain here but this thread makes me think . . .

i just keep adding fluid to it for now (too broke to fix it) . . . let me know if you fix it.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:36 AM

At this point it seems like I may just replace the rack and pinion. I'm going to try to find a 99 like kevlo suggested. I may end up with tighter steering. =) Anyone know if the 99 is a direct fit or not?

Originally Posted by MaxedOutOfCash
haha . . . i just have the same problem...

my mechanic told me i need a new rack & pinion too. . . he said it's a common problem with maximas. . .I've never heard anyone complain here but this thread makes me think . . .

i just keep adding fluid to it for now (too broke to fix it) . . . let me know if you fix it.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
Did you feel any improvement to your steering? Just curious--the boots and new bushings are nice to have. But if all it did was stop the leaking, I'd rather just keep topping it off. I don't feel my 98 can justify spending nearly a grand on it when it hasn't even reached 90k yet.

I don't know if I'm imagining things, but after I got it done..the steering wheel didn't feel so loose...oh and I think I needed a new one anyway..my mechanic said the r & p was pretty messed up...I didn't really ask him how it was messed up...but I did have a rattling problem when I went WOT from a light..sucked..but now it doesn't do it
Old 01-17-2004, 01:36 PM

doh!! my car falls into that recall. Looks like I will be calling my nissan dealership on monday and if they say that recall does not exist. I'll be calling a Nissan Representative.
Old 01-17-2004, 02:10 PM

I just turned my car on and got a drip too! Just took the car off the jackstands and saw no fluid. Turned the car on to warm and I got a drop. =(
The PS return hose seems to be on the passenger side of the car along with he pump. My drip is coming from the driver side.

My leak is on my drivers side too. I'm not sure if you have a Haynes manual, but I'm looking at figure 17.4 on page 10-15. My leak seems to be coming from the return hose marked as A on that figure. I'll try and get my digital camera from my sister if you don't have that book. Just to describe where the leak is coming from. It's from around the boot where the steering column comes through the fire wall.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:31 PM

I got the digital camera and took the picture:

In that figure, my leak is coming from A, which they labeled as return hose. Is your leak coming from there Zumble?
Old 01-17-2004, 07:14 PM

I do have the haynes manual. I'll take a look at the pic again and try to locate that hose. I'll get back to you. I had to take my car off the jackstands cuz I needed to drive it.. =P Haha. Lucky I have a hydraulic jack and electrics impact wrench. Car will be up again soon. =)

In that figure, my leak is coming from A, which they labeled as return hose. Is your leak coming from there Zumble?
Old 01-17-2004, 08:25 PM

I just checked mine again and I see fluid or signs of fluid from areas all around where that hose is. I turned the car on and watched for leaking and didn't see anything. The fluid pattern suggest either the fluid sprays from a certain area or it leaks down from a higher elevation. There is fluid in too wide and too far an area for a drip from that hose. At least thats the case for me.

ZuM

Old 01-18-2004, 07:17 AM
Kevlo for President

Maybe you should try the no-leak ATF. Since we don't have real Power Steering Fluid( Nissan owners manula says to use ATF). I would buy some ATF and change the fluid. Buy the kind that says it stops leaks. Or synthentic one that says it will.
http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/702
Old 01-18-2004, 09:42 AM

I guess I could try that next. Maybe my Redline Synthetic Power Steering fluid damaged the rack and pinion??

Originally Posted by kevlo911
Maybe you should try the no-leak ATF. Since we don't have real Power Steering Fluid( Nissan owners manula says to use ATF). I would buy some ATF and change the fluid. Buy the kind that says it stops leaks. Or synthentic one that says it will.
http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/702
Old 01-18-2004, 09:57 AM
Kevlo for President

You put power steering fluid in hte car, NOT GOOD. Nissan recamends ATF Drexon II/III or equivlent. Flush Out your whole system and put some ATF in there and add 4-12 OZ of the ATF leak STOP. Maybe even a 1/4 of a quart of hte ATF leak. I see the some ATF with the leak stop in it and i see the serparate addive bottles. i would add moble 1ATF and some ATF leak stop stuff.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:56 PM

uh oh....I put power steering fluid in there guess I'll have to flush it out now
Old 01-18-2004, 02:29 PM

OH NO! SO that's the problem!!?? Who would have know we weren't supposed to put power steering fluid in the power steering!!!! =( Only tranny fluid I have is Mobil 1 synthetic. Think that will be okay?

uh oh....I put power steering fluid in there guess I'll have to flush it out now
Old 01-19-2004, 09:56 AM

Just got off the phone w/ a nissan rep. and she says there's a recall on my vehicle. Then I called my local dealership and of course, no pick up Left a message and hopefully they will call back. If you do call nissan at 1-800-NISSAN1(1-800-647-7261) they have it on file
Old 01-19-2004, 12:25 PM

Hope it works out for you. But I don't think it will do me any good since my vin falls out of that range. I just finished taking the PS fluid out and put some atf in. I'll have to drive around and let it circulate and then drain and fill again.

Just got off the phone w/ a nissan rep. and she says there's a recall on my vehicle. Then I called my local dealership and of course, no pick up Left a message and hopefully they will call back. If you do call nissan at 1-800-NISSAN1(1-800-647-7261) they have it on file
Old 01-19-2004, 12:30 PM

I got an apt a week from today. I hope this solves my power steering leak. I started taking some fluid out last night but I haven't driven the car yet so it hasn't circulated. I'll drain and fill again just like you
Old 01-19-2004, 12:53 PM

OH NO! SO that's the problem!!?? Who would have know we weren't supposed to put power steering fluid in the power steering!!!! =( Only tranny fluid I have is Mobil 1 synthetic. Think that will be okay?

I use Mobil 1 synthetic atf...no leaks here.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:17 PM
Kevlo for President

Moble1 ATF will be perfect. I hope there is no damage to hte pump and other steering components. Drain and will 3 -5 times. That should be good.