4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

The Poorman HAI?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 07:42 AM

The Poorman HAI?

Has anyone tried this mod,,if so, any difference in performance?

link can be found at address below,,check the "how to (diy)" section
http://gtrrider.dkanet.com/
Old 01-19-2004, 08:38 AM

You wont see any obvious HP gains. Only thing it does is give your car a very nice growl when you get on it. I personally like how it sounds. But i'm not neive enough to think i gained a few HP just from cutting a hole in my box.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by mrglynis
You wont see any obvious HP gains. Only thing it does is give your car a very nice growl when you get on it. I personally like how it sounds. But i'm not neive enough to think i gained a few HP just from cutting a hole in my box.

thanks for the input
Old 01-19-2004, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by mrglynis
He is referring to this page, which is adding a cone filter - not cutting a hole in the air box.

http://www.vqpower.com/v2/modules.ph...howpage&pid=35

This will net you some power and more noise above 3000rpm. Like mrglynis said, it does sound pretty cool. Gains are said to be around 5-7 HP. See here about various intakes:

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaIntakes

My question would be about the quality of the filter element from a cone filter that you can buy at an auto-parts store. Perhaps someone here can speak about the quality issue.

Also, keep your stock intake as you may need it to be smog legal or to protect the cone filter from moisture during the rainy season.

P
Old 01-19-2004, 01:56 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I have a similar intake to the poor mans HAI. Like a cheap a$$ fool (b4 the write up was made) I cut the square end of the MAF off and tightened the filter directly to the MAF. Ummm, I can't go back to stock......what a meat-wad I am. Anyway I have a cone filter from APC (VIP) and its fine, the Ractive filter before it was just as good. I think all the $20-30 filters are all about the same. But when it comes to re-oiling them I just throw them away. What's the point of spending $10-15 on the recharge kit, when another $10-15 gets you a brand new filter? The only thing to watch out for is the glue holding the filter together. I had an APC breather fall apart in my hand only minutes out of the box. The same can happen to the regular air filters.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:18 PM

Doh! I'm a dummy. I thought he meant hacked air box. I should learn to read better. Listen to what the other guys said.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:20 PM

good for ~5 hp, when you first install it you might think you installed it wrong because the first time you floor it, it's really, really ****ing loud. i put a lotta black duct tape on mine to make sure there weren't any leaks, and to hold it on better. this is really easy to do also, just take your time getting the brass piece off, try not to bend it too much. or get the actual adapter, then you'll be able to go back to stock if you should ever want to.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 87MaxWagon
My question would be about the quality of the filter element from a cone filter that you can buy at an auto-parts store. Perhaps someone here can speak about the quality issue.
I understand why you would think that, but the truth is they are pretty damn well made. I recently took my APC cone off for a $70 A'pexi air filter (supposedly the best and most costly, still on my car). I felt no additional performance gains, saw similar build construction, and less filter surface area - all of which made me wish I'd saved the money and stuck with the old cone. That is my cone in the pictures, that is my write-up, and I can honestly attest to the APC cone filters. If the name is what you're after, they're no good - but it's a well made product. You have to remember though that they do NOT come pre-oiled, and should be cleaned and oiled every 3-5k miles.
-Cyrus
Old 01-19-2004, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Vyrus
You have to remember though that they do NOT come pre-oiled, and should be cleaned and oiled every 3-5k miles.
-Cyrus
Wow! Thanks for that. I just bought my car and it had some APC type cone filter I had to take off to pass smog.

grumble. grumble. Why would those dumbheads sell a filter without it being oiled! Now I have to wonder how long that unoiled filter has been on my engine.

I already have the K&N cleaner/oiler... time to put it to work.

thanks.

P
Old 01-19-2004, 10:58 PM

BTW, thanks for the write-up Vyrus! Guys like you keep us modd'n!
Old 01-20-2004, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Vyrus
I understand why you would think that, but the truth is they are pretty damn well made. I recently took my APC cone off for a $70 A'pexi air filter (supposedly the best and most costly, still on my car). I felt no additional performance gains, saw similar build construction, and less filter surface area - all of which made me wish I'd saved the money and stuck with the old cone. That is my cone in the pictures, that is my write-up, and I can honestly attest to the APC cone filters. If the name is what you're after, they're no good - but it's a well made product. You have to remember though that they do NOT come pre-oiled, and should be cleaned and oiled every 3-5k miles.
-Cyrus

Thanks for the info..I will try your mod this weekend, if I get the time.