4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

how do I remove my rotor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2000, 04:47 PM

The Left front rotor came right off when I removed the calipers but right one won't come off at all. How come one side came off so easily.
Old 08-22-2000, 06:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm not sure on the Max... but with most cars there is a thread spot to screw a bolt into (its in the rotor), perhaps several? When you tighten the bolt it pushes thru the rotor onto a backing plate, pushing the rotor off.

As for what size bolt? Dunno... If you've got one off perhaps take it to the autoparts store and see what size fits the threads?

I hope I helped?

Wizeguy
Old 08-22-2000, 07:48 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

i had to whack it..

whack whack whack with WD40 and a cloth with hammer.. it's probably rusted on. but there are no bolts holding it in, other than the calipers....
Old 05-30-2002, 09:24 PM

Re: i had to whack it..

Originally posted by Chebosto
whack whack whack with WD40 and a cloth with hammer.. it's probably rusted on. but there are no bolts holding it in, other than the calipers....
Look behind the brakes remove the 2 14MM bolts and the two 19MM bolts remove the brake caliper, spray some WD 40, or Liquid wrench, and then get a hammer and whack it evenly and watch it come loose. We did it on cumalots car this past saturday.
Old 05-30-2002, 10:15 PM

The bolt size is M8x1.25. I've found I only needed one and it'll pop the rotor right off if its stuck.
Old 05-31-2002, 12:31 AM
Honda Convert!

Check to see if there is a screw where the circle is in this pic

If not just try what the other guys say

Bruce
Old 05-31-2002, 06:38 AM

I came across that problem....

...two weeks back and my rear right together with both fronts would not come off. I tried banging it with hammer and lots of WD40/Brake Cleaner..and even with a propane torch (to heat it up so it will come loose)..did not work.

Drove to Autozone, brought the new rotors (to match the screw), and they got it. Apparently, those two little holes are different for fronts and rears. I got the fronts off, but then the right rear just sticked like a glue.

Nevertheless, I was frustrated (it's a 3-day brake job with painted calipers for fronts and a lot of complaints from my apartment garage people), and just started banging the center of the rear rotor with the rubber part of the hammer.

Thank God! ..the rotor just came off!

Good luck with your brake job.... I knew I had fun with them...all four corners!
Old 05-31-2002, 08:22 AM
rmb

Originally posted by SkyXRacer
The Left front rotor came right off when I removed the calipers but right one won't come off at all. How come one side came off so easily.
Go to home depot and buy the largest "dead-blow" hammer you can find. It's a hard-plastic headed little sledge hammer that's filled with lead shot. Real effective and won't dent or f up the rotor surface.

Like so many other things.... Just keep wacking it as hard as you can. It'll come off.

-RMB
Old 05-31-2002, 08:50 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

In doing a brake job on my friends' mom's (yech) Tracker, those screw-holes are the only real option. Slamming a hammer into the rotor will still probably not get the rotor off if it's that rusted on. Use the screws!
Old 05-31-2002, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by Lime
In doing a brake job on my friends' mom's (yech) Tracker, those screw-holes are the only real option. Slamming a hammer into the rotor will still probably not get the rotor off if it's that rusted on. Use the screws!
Liquid wrench and WD-40 will do the job you just got to provide the Russian oil (The Hammer and some pounding action). Cumalot's rotors were rusty but that Russian oil works wonders.
Old 07-18-2002, 02:24 PM

i tried looking for the m8x1.25 bolt at home depot and i found that the bolt is too small for the holes in the front. is the bolt the same on all rotors ? is there any other size of bolt ?
Old 07-18-2002, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by zntema
i tried looking for the m8x1.25 bolt at home depot and i found that the bolt is too small for the holes in the front. is the bolt the same on all rotors ? is there any other size of bolt ?
if you dont need the rotor no more hit them with a hammer very hard do it around in a circle and watch them come right off just ensure you removed all 4 bolts in the rear.
Old 07-18-2002, 02:42 PM

You are indeed correct. The bolt in the front is a bit bigger than the rears. I have the ones for the front (2 of them) but I don't know the ones for the back rotors.

Old 07-18-2002, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by JAY25

Liquid wrench and WD-40 will do the job you just got to provide the Russian oil (The Hammer and some pounding action). Cumalot's rotors were rusty but that Russian oil works wonders.

Hehe...Russian Oil That scene from Armageddon comes to mind when the cosmonaut is whacking the control panel with a baseball bat or something.
Old 07-18-2002, 02:51 PM

i kept banging with a hammer for about a hour didnt move a bit... the rotor is rusted on the hub. ardika what r the size of the screws ? i wanna try it that way. another question u can turn the rotors when its in park is that normal where is the tranny lock ?
Old 07-18-2002, 03:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Bolt size: M10 1.25 bolt worked for me.
No amt of banging was going to get that old rotor off!
Old 07-18-2002, 07:59 PM

Were I at home....

...I would have asked for your address and send the bolt to you. Seriously, since I bought two bolts when I changed my rotors and even a combination of propane torch and hammer could not bulge it.

I am in Detroit at the moment, but I will be back in Milwaukee on Sunday, only to leave for another business trip to Hawaii. What I did was I brought the new rotors to Autozone and ask the guy to find the correct size (in which he spent..like 10 minutes to find the correct one).

Even though you put in in Park, you could still rotate the rotors. Surprised? Well, me too! It seemed that Nissan did not put a "locking" differential in our Maximas.

What you might want to do is reassemble your brakes, then go to Autozone/auto parts store. Once you are there, remove one of your front wheel and ask the guy to come out and find the correct size for you. If you already have the new rotors, you don't have to take that wheel out and just bring the new front rotor to the store and have them found the right size for you.

Good luck and let me know if I could be any help. I really wished I had been home at this time....

i kept banging with a hammer for about a hour didnt move a bit... the rotor is rusted on the hub. ardika what r the size of the screws ? i wanna try it that way. another question u can turn the rotors when its in park is that normal where is the tranny lock ?