4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I have a bleeding axel, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 07:33 PM

I have a bleeding axel, please help.

My axel is bleeding and I think I need a new one. How long can I drive before I will have to change it? Also, how much are they and what will the installation run me. Thanks, David.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:07 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Is it the axle or the CV joint? If it's the CV joint, drive the thing til you get a new axle, just dirt getting inside and you'll be replacing it anyway. Also don't buy a CV boot kit just get a new axle.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:11 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

hopefully you don't have a 5-spd or then you are really going to be

btw, ure www should be a link to your car info!
Old 01-21-2004, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by nadir_s
hopefully you don't have a 5-spd or then you are really going to be

btw, ure www should be a link to your car info!
hehe, I'll fix the link till I get some time later in the week. I believe its the CV Joint since when I was changing the Oil today I noiced it had a crack and the black grey stuff was coming out of it. My question is how long can I drive it until I get this fixed and what are the consequences because I really don't have the money right now.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by orgasmicNYC
hehe, I'll fix the link till I get some time later in the week. I believe its the CV Joint since when I was changing the Oil today I noiced it had a crack and the black grey stuff was coming out of it. My question is how long can I drive it until I get this fixed and what are the consequences because I really don't have the money right now.

isnt there a way to just regrease and install a new boot? since the joint isnt worn or making clicking noises? (i had a honda and i had broken boots, and drove around with the clicking nose for over a year and a half, til it eventually started making loud clunking noises, then i finally just bought new axles) and you'd need whole axles, beacuse its much faster replacing the whole axles than rebuilding the CV joints.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:06 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally Posted by orgasmicNYC
if it's greasy stuff, you can drive it till it starts clicking when u make turns.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:32 PM
vsamoylov

whcih side cause i will sell you a axle.

Old 01-21-2004, 10:36 PM
2060lbs and falling...

You can drive around on it as long as you want; however, if you do it now you will only need new boots. With a ripped boot you run the risk of getting a rock in between the knuckles and that is what causes the clunking noise. The rock will fall out but you will have bent knuckles and will need a new CV.