4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Slipping traction on bumpy roads.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 11:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Slipping traction on bumpy roads.

I'm not sure what the problem is.

When I push the accelerator hard, my max tends to slip with traction on bumpy roads (the front wheels that provide power). I have KYB GR-2's with stock springs, and wonder if they are the cause (the kyb's)?

If the gr-2's are stiffer, they wouldn't have the same ability to respond to normal road conditions...am I wrong?

It just feels horrible as a I plow through ****ty roads...feel like I'm tearing up the tranny (the wheel that provides power free-spins for less than a sec).

I ask to know the trade-off's between softer struts vs. stiffer ones. The stiffer ones seem to provide quicker handling on flat roads, but I'm noticing deficiencies in normal road conditions. anyone? I also have energy suspension polyurethane bushings for the control arm and stabilizer bar.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i have noticed the exact same thing and have wondered if anyone else has had the same experience as I have, i have eibach springs and kyb gr-2's they are matched very well and work well as far as handling goes, but accelerating sometimes even a little bit in 1st gear on less than perfect wheels results in a terrible feeling and feedback in the wheel and entire car as well....i basically loose almost all traction and go almost no where! so just so you know, your not the only one out there who expereinces such on bumpy roads....the result from accelerating in 1st gear on such roads makes it feel like i am killing my entire car and tranny....which as bad as it sometimes feels...why do i get no traction at all in 1st on somewhat bumpy roads? i don't know, but I do have aftermarket tires and very light wheels (kumho ecsta MX 235/45/ZR17, 5ZIGEN 17") and eibach pro-kit and kyb gr-2's any idea on what's up with this anyone? is this just an issue with front wheel drive cars that are stick shift and have good deal of torque escecially in 1st gear? is this an issue relating to play in the front axle maybe? or possibly engine mounts needing to be filled...???? by the way, I almost have full bolt-ons...so i am running a good deal of torque on my car!...
Old 01-27-2004, 12:01 AM

maybe we just need LSD!!! to combat such a problem or get new axles to get rid of the play...!
Old 01-27-2004, 12:51 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

don't think new axles would work. If you've held them in your hand (axles)...you'd probably notice how floppy they are at the cv joint. LSD would help...if the tires actually gripped the road....i think the problem lies when the stiffer struts or suspension can't respond to the road as well. michaelnyden....are you experiencing the same problem?

wish people on the org would tell about common problems with all these after market giddups....unless im wrong...please respond.

Btw, I still have the 4x4 look...OEM springs...205/65/15's (OEM tire 4me) and steelies. Except for the KYB gr-2's, I dunno what's the problem.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:08 AM

Most likely, its because only one front wheel is transferring engine torque to the ground. So on bumpy roads, even wet roads, if that tire looses traction the steering wheel begins to fight you as it hunts for traction and the front end starts to swerve. It does the same thing on a truck w/o positraction. LSD will definitely fix that. I bet its worse for the boosted Maximas when this happens, unless it has LSD.

Knowing that this happens to me too, I usually would slow down and try not to accelerate hard on bumpy road surfaces, even on wet pavement. I could be just coasting on a wet road and the moment I floor it, I would spin the tire and loose traction like crazy. If you have a 5-speed, this situation gets more difficult.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:30 PM

i definitely think most of these problems of traction on bumpy roads are from stiff struts....softer struts can respond to bumps, dips, and other road irregularities easier and make your tire grip them better...anyone with stock suspension experience this? but I think the problem is definitely one wheel getting worse traction over some bumps than the other and then the loss of traction begins! it's time for an LSD!
Old 01-27-2004, 12:38 PM

I have stock suspension, still in good condition too, and I experience this...probably not as bad as others with stiff performance suspension though.

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
...anyone with stock suspension experience this? but I think the problem is definitely one wheel getting worse traction over some bumps than the other and then the loss of traction begins! it's time for an LSD!
Old 01-31-2004, 11:49 AM

same problem with stock suspension

i have stock suspension on my 97 GXE and have experienced the same things. It is quite frustrating. I do have 105k miles on it though, and i think its time for new struts, as technicians from two diff auto service stores have mentioned that my struts feel really weak, plus the ride does feel pretty rough to me, rougher than my friends stock 98 accord. An upgrade from the ****ty tires i torture myself on should help me a bit too.