4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

10% ethanol in gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 01:12 PM

10% ethanol in gasoline

We have 10% ethanol in gasoline. Is this something new?
Old 01-27-2004, 01:17 PM

yup new government gas laws
Old 01-27-2004, 01:23 PM

how bad is that??
Old 01-27-2004, 01:25 PM
be the change u want2C

The more alcohol in our gas the more cleaner and faster it burns, Thast how my freind passes emisions, go to home depot and buy a big @$$ tank of 100% pure Ethanol and just dump it in there, The guy just has a str8 pipe from his engine, no muffler no nothing
Old 01-27-2004, 01:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

its been here in chicago for like 10+ years now it sounds like its bad and a lot of people have different opinions about it but we have had no problems with it and secondly we cannot do anything about it either
Old 01-27-2004, 03:24 PM

Ch3-ch2-oh
Old 01-27-2004, 03:31 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Originally Posted by chicago max98
its been here in chicago for like 10+ years now it sounds like its bad and a lot of people have different opinions about it but we have had no problems with it and secondly we cannot do anything about it either
True, it says so at every pump that the gasoline contains a minimum of 10% ethonol.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:35 PM
formz

Originally Posted by Ni_Nos_Maxima
The more alcohol in our gas the more cleaner and faster it burns, Thast how my freind passes emisions, go to home depot and buy a big @$$ tank of 100% pure Ethanol and just dump it in there, The guy just has a str8 pipe from his engine, no muffler no nothing
What.. the hell.. are you talking about. You can't run straight ethanol in a gasoline engine you twit. You'd hydrolock the thing.

Old 01-27-2004, 04:39 PM

so what's a good gas mixture for the best performance next to pure alcohol, i don't think i want my car driving drunk . oh yea and the government can suck on my ba**s, they are trying to put us out of bussiness.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:54 PM

Here in NY they started as of Jan 1st because the additive it replaced was found to be a carcinogen.

It burns better and since its a form of alcohol you dont have to worry as much about your gas lines freezing but its no good for fuel pumps.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:08 PM
formz

Originally Posted by maxima98vspec
so what's a good gas mixture for the best performance next to pure alcohol, i don't think i want my car driving drunk . oh yea and the government can suck on my ba**s, they are trying to put us out of bussiness.
A maxima is not a high performance vehicle, you don't have to worry about whats in your gas. Even in my 330hp DSM I just ran 93 octane with 18lbs of boost with zero knock and tons of timing.

10% ethanol is perfectly harmless.

Old 01-27-2004, 05:13 PM
formz

Originally Posted by Ant96GLE
Here in NY they started as of Jan 1st because the additive it replaced was found to be a carcinogen.

It burns better and since its a form of alcohol you dont have to worry as much about your gas lines freezing but its no good for fuel pumps.
Where do you get your information from? It's FINE for fuel pumps. I hate how everyone is just like "oh this is bad, you don't need facts to trust me, just trust me."

Old 01-27-2004, 07:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The problem with ethanol and any alcohol for that matter is it is a reallllly good cleaner. So if you have any little rust stuff or any gunk in your tank...its gettin washed right into your fuel filter and possibly beyond. I would recommend a fuel filter change after a few tanks of ethanol.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:53 PM

Its been in the midwest since I can remeber. Help out you local farmer and put some ethonal in. I've never had a problem and you will not have a problem putting it in you max or any car. The only thing about is it usually is not the 91 that is recommend.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by formz
Where do you get your information from? It's FINE for fuel pumps. I hate how everyone is just like "oh this is bad, you don't need facts to trust me, just trust me."

Last months edition of AAA magazine, believe whatever you wanna believe I dont care. Regardless its the only gasoline available so who cares.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by G20Flyer
The problem with ethanol and any alcohol for that matter is it is a reallllly good cleaner. So if you have any little rust stuff or any gunk in your tank...its gettin washed right into your fuel filter and possibly beyond. I would recommend a fuel filter change after a few tanks of ethanol.

Correct, I did that myself
Old 01-28-2004, 02:06 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I think using Ethanol is a huge government conspiracy and here's why I don't like ethanol (paraphased from an article):

1) Ethanol releases more nitrogen oxide, a key element of smog, and evaporates more easily than gasoline, causing still other air pollution problems;

2) some scientists now say that ethanol, while not as troublesome as a methanol-based additive known as MTBE, also may complicate cleaning up gasoline spills into waterways and groundwater. Gasoline plumes containing ethanol degrade more slowly in groundwater than plumes of only gasoline. Toxic chemicals such as benzene in ethanol-blended gasoline disperse more widely and take longer to degrade; and

3) "It remains a fact that it takes more energy to produce a gallon of ethanol than you get out of it. When made from corn, (ethanol) should not even be considered a renewable fuel — and actually provides little help on global warming. It takes large amounts of nonrenewable natural gas, coal, and oil to make fertilizer and grow the corn, process ethanol, and transport it in trucks and rail cars."

You'll also notice most car makers DO NOT want you to use ethanol in your engine and if you do, don't use more than 10%.

If we are REALLY serious about reducing our dependance on Middle Eastern oil then introduce a $1000-2000 gas guzzler tax on ANY vehicle that gets less than say 20mpg combined. Why should only the owners of luxury/exotic cars bear the burden of a gas guzzler tax? How about SUV/truck drivers with one child families? If you can afford a $40K SUV/truck, then you can afford another $1000-2000 in taxes. People who own thier own business and business' themselves would not be subject to the tax. The tax would make people think twice about buying rediculous sized vehicles that are a huge waste of natural resources and the money derived from taxes could be put towards R&D of more efficent engines and catalysts. That's my "pipe dream".

Dave
Old 01-28-2004, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dave B
I think using Ethanol is a huge government conspiracy and here's why I don't like ethanol (paraphased from an article):

1) Ethanol releases more nitrogen oxide, a key element of smog, and evaporates more easily than gasoline, causing still other air pollution problems;

2) some scientists now say that ethanol, while not as troublesome as a methanol-based additive known as MTBE, also may complicate cleaning up gasoline spills into waterways and groundwater. Gasoline plumes containing ethanol degrade more slowly in groundwater than plumes of only gasoline. Toxic chemicals such as benzene in ethanol-blended gasoline disperse more widely and take longer to degrade; and

3) "It remains a fact that it takes more energy to produce a gallon of ethanol than you get out of it. When made from corn, (ethanol) should not even be considered a renewable fuel — and actually provides little help on global warming. It takes large amounts of nonrenewable natural gas, coal, and oil to make fertilizer and grow the corn, process ethanol, and transport it in trucks and rail cars."

You'll also notice most car makers DO NOT want you to use ethanol in your engine and if you do, don't use more than 10%.

If we are REALLY serious about reducing our dependance on Middle Eastern oil then introduce a $1000-2000 gas guzzler tax on ANY vehicle that gets less than say 20mpg combined. Why should only the owners of luxury/exotic cars bear the burden of a gas guzzler tax? How about SUV/truck drivers with one child families? If you can afford a $40K SUV/truck, then you can afford another $1000-2000 in taxes. People who own thier own business and business' themselves would not be subject to the tax. The tax would make people think twice about buying rediculous sized vehicles that are a huge waste of natural resources and the money derived from taxes could be put towards R&D of more efficent engines and catalysts. That's my "pipe dream".

Dave
Very well said
Old 01-28-2004, 02:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

IIRC, ethanol is the additive that RaceTrac gas stations put in their gas, and I know a few people personally that have had their engines just die in a short amount of time. These were simple, daily driven, never driven hard, NA motors. People here in TX swear against RaceTrac.

I simply use B12 to clean my fuel tank and system...
Old 01-28-2004, 05:13 PM
Blazin......

I used Ethonal to TRY and pass emission. Made it SOO much worse. When it Burns hotter and the Sparks are hotter The Exhaust is obviously not going to pass.
Many People Say Use 110 Octane to pass. Use Ethonal to pass emission's . NO, Ive Seen the GateWay Clean Air Chart After each run.
I Ran my car 6 Times to finally pass. passed on 89 octace. Yes the car was stock when most runs were made. 3 runs were with the Budget -ypipe.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:49 PM
Chassis Freak

Dave
Concur 100%.

BTW, I have noticed at least one gas station that advertises "OUR GAS CONTAINS NO ETHANOL", I think it was a BP but I'm not certain.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:40 PM
formz

Dave B, as I've been told since I was in grade school, always cite your sources. You could have gotten that info from ethonalisbadbecauseisaidso.com for all we know.

Old 01-28-2004, 07:53 PM
ABK

Who cares, I don't even feel like reading all that $hit. Go buy yourself some race gas or something.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:11 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by formz
Dave B, as I've been told since I was in grade school, always cite your sources. You could have gotten that info from ethonalisbadbecauseisaidso.com for all we know.
http://www.enn.com/news/2003-06-03/s_4725.asp

It's a BS government conspiracy. Pure and simple. Once again the government is going to shoot themselves in the foot. Last time it was MTBE, this time it's ethanol. Believe me, I know a great deal more about ethanol than most people in here and the same goes for MTBE. I'm an environmental scientist and I've spent countless hours sampling, analyzing, and remediating petroleum/MTBE contaminated sites. Ethanol will only compound the ongoing problems with trying to clean up a chemical that literally refuses to be cleaned up. Why do I care it will keep me in business, right? Yes, but it's depressing to see us take one step backwards in trying to clean up the environment. You can thank President Bush for that one. Also thank him for lessening environmental regulations on ethanol plants which huge polluters.

Dave
Old 01-28-2004, 10:46 PM

So... Are there any stations (Holiday, BP, Kwik Trip,...) That have better gas than others as far as quality and lower ethanol content?
Old 01-29-2004, 12:20 AM

http://www.enn.com/news/2003-06-03/s_4725.asp

It's a BS government conspiracy. Pure and simple. Once again the government is going to shoot themselves in the foot. Last time it was MTBE, this time it's ethanol. Believe me, I know a great deal more about ethanol than most people in here and the same goes for MTBE. I'm an environmental scientist and I've spent countless hours sampling, analyzing, and remediating petroleum/MTBE contaminated sites. Ethanol will only compound the ongoing problems with trying to clean up a chemical that literally refuses to be cleaned up. Why do I care it will keep me in business, right? Yes, but it's depressing to see us take one step backwards in trying to clean up the environment. You can thank President Bush for that one. Also thank him for lessening environmental regulations on ethanol plants which huge polluters.

Dave
So what your saying is that the states is prolonging the selling of oil reserves, while at the same time making money by selling off their environmental pollutant ethanol?
Conspiracy Indeed
Old 02-11-2004, 09:55 AM
Chassis Freak

It was a BP---I went to it again last night and they still say "NO ETHANOL IN OUR GAS". Check out your local BP or ask...who knows, maybe it's a company-wide thing even if every station doesn't advertise.

I have to agree with Dave B. about the stupidity of Ethanol.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:47 PM

Its amazing the types of information you can get of this site! You guys helped me get one of my papers out of the way for an english corse at southern illinois univ.

After reading up on the topic, ethanol seems to be a good replacement for the old 10% that used to be in our gas that produced more pollution but the way its extracted is not to much fun. (dave b. already covered this but i found it intresting that we really are shooting ourselves in the foot)

Like everyone else said it burns easier and cleans our engines to an extent but more importantly helps air pollution when used in combustion engines.

But to my suprise the form of extraction from corn to ethanol involves using biohazard chemicals that have to be dumped somewhere. The fact is that these companies mainly in Nebraska and some in indiana, which are not to far from souther ill. are pumping out 10x the allowed amount of chemicals into near by soil. The most harmful chemicals being acetaldehyde and formaldehyde(stuff embalmers use to dry up blood).
Got this all from Sierra Club's news article on a class action law suit.

http://indiana.sierraclub.org/Sierra...anolPlants.asp

Writing this paper really got me into this subject since i had to do a lot of reaserch.........soooooo.....in a nutshell....ethonal is not as "healthy" for our planet as we thought it was. Finally my paper is done, thanks to you guys. now time to get drunk!
Old 02-13-2004, 07:58 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Just say no to ethanol It's bogus government/lobbyist back scratching and ball swinging and nothing good will come from it.

Dave