4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ricefob intake #4, bomz racing + JWT review! JWT vs K&N review! (w/ pix)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 10:42 PM
V^___^V

ricefob intake #4, bomz racing + JWT review! JWT vs K&N review! (w/ pix)

[ricefob intake history]
1. 3A racing cone filter
2. bomz racing CAI w/ real K&N filter
3. bomz racing short ram w/ real K&N filter
4. bomz racing short ram w/ JWT filter

[installation]
first thing i did was applying the K&N reacharger kit on the JWT filter. meanwhile waiting for the filter to dry out, i spent a good 1 minute taking off the MAF and the K&N filter.

i had some minor problem with the provided JWT intake adapter. it was not 100% aligned correctly with the MAF. i added an extra rubber piece off and attempt to tighten the 10mm bolts without breaking the MAF. although it's not all the way tightened in, but i made sure there's no leackage.

[performance]
first thing i notice is the throttle response. it is definetly more responsive than the K&N setup. next thing i notice is the car pulled a bit harder than before. SIZE DOES MATTER.

if the norcal dyno meet DOES happen on the 21st, the dyno provide the best result.

[sound]
the intake sounds bolder, but at higher rpm i can hear my exhaust more than my JWT intake, kinda strange but i have to observe more. at lower rpm i can still hear the "psssh" sound from the intake responsibly aborbing proper airflow into the intake manifold from 2000rpm-3000rpm.

[real K&N filter vs JWT filter]

from the visual comparison, you can already tell size DOES MATTER. although real K&N filter gives a nice start, but JWT filter definetly sucks more air, faster air-flow velocity, and better throttle responsive.

[conclusiong]
did i mention i got this JWT intake w/ adapter for $65 shipped? that's right! even the cheapest JWT filter right now is $100 without shipping (at courtesy nissan). i say if anyone is looking for some quick WHP, JWT filter is the way to go. definetly worth every penny.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

nice review, i also will be dyno-ing that day with frankencar midpipe + jwt popcharger (newer style) vs resonator + jwt popcharger. Want to see once and for all which one best suites my driving habits.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:12 PM
V^___^V

Originally Posted by NiNe7-Gxe
nice review, i also will be dyno-ing that day with frankencar midpipe + jwt popcharger (newer style) vs resonator + jwt popcharger. Want to see once and for all which one best suites my driving habits.
actually i don't even know what generation my JWT filter is. what is the difference anyway?

yea...hopefully the dyno meet will happen. but u know... norcal maximas =
Old 01-28-2004, 11:40 PM
V^___^V

o...totally forgot to mention, i'm selling my K&N filter + BOMz CAI piping over here >> http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=281920

(first post won't allow anymore vb code)
Old 01-29-2004, 12:26 AM

not much of a difference, just the newer styles have a hole at the top, oh and its blue
Old 01-29-2004, 03:01 AM

I have a K&N that's the same size as the popcharger sitting in my trunk that I got from Stillen in October 2002, never bothered to mess with it. I also recently got a JWT Popcharger.. one of these days, I'll slap it on my PR CAI.. Hopefully before dyno day if I go, but we all know intake's don't make THAT big a difference... The CAI seems to make the most difference in the summer.

btw, don't ask how much I paid for those. A lot less than you
Old 01-29-2004, 04:22 AM
5th Gen till she dies!

what would be the difference without the mid-pipe? i have the filter, just not a midpipe.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:36 AM

Hey ricefob, how about your impressions on the CAI with the K&N???
Old 01-29-2004, 08:35 AM
V^___^V

Originally Posted by ManualMaxima
what would be the difference without the mid-pipe? i have the filter, just not a midpipe.
the air-flow will be a tiny bit restrictive due to non-straight midpipe. the sound will be more resonated.

Originally Posted by Maximum96
Hey ricefob, how about your impressions on the CAI with the K&N???
lower-mid end power llaggy impressive, higher rpm was really laggy. CAI makes an awesome "pssssssh" sound.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:48 AM

[sound]
the intake sounds bolder, but at higher rpm i can hear my exhaust more than my JWT intake, kinda strange but i have to observe more. at lower rpm i can still hear the "psssh" sound from the intake responsibly aborbing proper airflow into the intake manifold from 2000rpm-3000rpm.

So, with just a y-pipe and muffler there is more sound up high from the exhaust than from the intake? I got the JWT Cone intake and couldn't stand the sound. I mean it was so damn loud at WOT all the way thru that the car shook. Now with just a K&N panel filter and a y the sound is practically identical to stock. Do you think your muffler causes that much noise or are the newer intakes quiet? i.e. can you have a normal conversation even under wot?
Thanks for indulging me.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:21 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

i love the loud sound.....and i do not want my car to be sound loud unless i am trying to hual ***, and that is hwen it is loud. but when i have people in the car and we are just driving i do nto hear it much.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:30 PM
Custom User Title

if the norcal dyno meet DOES happen on the 21st, the dyno provide the best result.
Can't wait to see dyno numbers!
OH yeah before you sell the CAI piping, you should dyno all 3 of the setups..

CAI w/ k&n
Midpipe w/ k&n
Midpipe w/ JWT filter

Ive heard many different opinions about the setups but we should have a sticky of the dyno numbers..
Old 01-29-2004, 03:10 PM
V^___^V

Originally Posted by tomj
[sound]

So, with just a y-pipe and muffler there is more sound up high from the exhaust than from the intake? I got the JWT Cone intake and couldn't stand the sound. I mean it was so damn loud at WOT all the way thru that the car shook. Now with just a K&N panel filter and a y the sound is practically identical to stock. Do you think your muffler causes that much noise or are the newer intakes quiet? i.e. can you have a normal conversation even under wot?
Thanks for indulging me.
well...it's loud, i can hear it. just not as loud as my old K&N

or maybe it's jus my ear...

Originally Posted by ImStockBaby
Can't wait to see dyno numbers!
OH yeah before you sell the CAI piping, you should dyno all 3 of the setups..

CAI w/ k&n
Midpipe w/ k&n
Midpipe w/ JWT filter

Ive heard many different opinions about the setups but we should have a sticky of the dyno numbers..
haha if norcal dyno meet DOES happen on the 21st, i would love to post numbers for u guys... and if i'm don't feel too lazy swapping out the intake at dyno, then i will do it. but u never know, cuz me chinese sometimes hella lazy just wanna sleep eat poo so yea
Old 01-29-2004, 05:38 PM
formz

Between those two filters, you will not notice a difference in CFM being drawin into your motor. Size of the filter does NOT matter. Think about this:

These are totally arbitrary values.
A 3" pipe flows say 500 CFM.
The materials that make up a k&n filter flow 400 CFM.

Now, if you put a tiny little 3" circle k&n on the end of your pipe, it will still flow 400 CFM. If you put a huge K&N the size of an airplane on the end of that 3" pipe, it STILL only flows 400 CFM. Size of the filter, does NOT matter.

If you DO see a HP difference between the two filters, it's ONLY because of other things like engine temperature, air flow to the motor, and % error from the dyno. You can dyno the same car with the exact same settings 15 times, and you'll get 15 different numbers.

Old 01-29-2004, 07:27 PM
V^___^V

Originally Posted by formz
Between those two filters, you will not notice a difference in CFM being drawin into your motor. Size of the filter does NOT matter. Think about this:

These are totally arbitrary values.
A 3" pipe flows say 500 CFM.
The materials that make up a k&n filter flow 400 CFM.

Now, if you put a tiny little 3" circle k&n on the end of your pipe, it will still flow 400 CFM. If you put a huge K&N the size of an airplane on the end of that 3" pipe, it STILL only flows 400 CFM. Size of the filter, does NOT matter.

If you DO see a HP difference between the two filters, it's ONLY because of other things like engine temperature, air flow to the motor, and % error from the dyno. You can dyno the same car with the exact same settings 15 times, and you'll get 15 different numbers.
i'm not saying your wrong, you could be right. but i think u are over-analyzing it a little bit too much...

the way i see it is very simple: in order to increase more HP, more air flow is one of the objective. from the restrictive stock air box to open cone filter element will increase HP. the quality and the size of the filter will determine the air-flow induction. visually i see JWT is bigger and better quality compare to K&N, therefore i suspect more HP. (not by a lot of course)

it could also just be my imagination. and u are right about dynoing it 15 times and gettin different result. all i know is my filter is JWT , it's bigger , and i like it . so now GO BUY MY K&N!!!! lol j/k
Old 01-29-2004, 07:29 PM
formz

Well if the filters are of different materials and composition than yes there will be a difference. But going from one K&N filter to a larger one won't do a damn thing. Size means nothing.

Bigger != more airflow, I can't stress that enough.

Old 01-29-2004, 08:09 PM

Anyone know what the differnece would be if I added a K&N filter to my injen?
Old 01-29-2004, 08:57 PM
formz

None. Don't bother.