4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Exhaust///sound/////power

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 10:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Exhaust///sound/////power

Hey guys... I was going to just have a shop around here do the exhuast on the 97se however I am having second thoughts... I am not sure what to run for best sound and power gain... I would like to run some good size pipe. like 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 maybe bigger if you guys recomend it... What do u recomend doing for best power and sound... I want a low DEEP sound... Im not to fond of headers so do u think i should just have the shop in town here do it or should I buy a cat back system.. What about teh Y pipes should i get some of those also.... If i have the shop in town do it what muffler should i go with????? Thanks guys
Old 01-29-2004, 10:26 AM
V^___^V

greddy SP catback system will give you the deepest sound. it is 2.5" inlet, muffler is 4" tip.

now we also have greddy SP2 available, which will drone less...

budget or warpspeed y-pipe will provide the most gains on NA maxima, price is reasonable as well.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:29 AM

I love me custom setup topped off with a my Flowmaster
Old 01-29-2004, 10:54 AM

Thanks.. what do u mean by drone

Hey what do u mean by drone... What i hate is those freaken rice cars that when then hit like 5k rpm it sounds like a coffee can. real raspy and crap..I want deep all the way baby.. U still say greddy sp or what not
Old 01-29-2004, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by happyricefob
greddy SP catback system will give you the deepest sound. it is 2.5" inlet, muffler is 4" tip.

now we also have greddy SP2 available, which will drone less...

budget or warpspeed y-pipe will provide the most gains on NA maxima, price is reasonable as well.
i agree i also have the greddy exhaust and it sounds good.. deep growl but not too harsh.. also i would go stock size unless you plan on FI..
anything bigger than that would probably slow you down .. good power gain up top though..
Old 01-29-2004, 10:59 AM
V^___^V

Originally Posted by stang233
Hey what do u mean by drone... What i hate is those freaken rice cars that when then hit like 5k rpm it sounds like a coffee can. real raspy and crap..I want deep all the way baby.. U still say greddy sp or what not
our VQ30DE with greddy SP doesn't make as much as rice sound compare to those inline 4 civic/integras. it'll only drone a bit around 2,500rpm, highway-cruising gets annoying sometimes cuz it's loud and deep, but outside it's not rice fart...so no need to worry about that.

our VQ30DE at higher rpm, intake tends to take over at WOT (wide open throttle), so no rice there either.

the only thing you need to watch out is make sure tighten every single bolt to prevent any air-flow leackage, then you won't have any rice sound.

before i had apexi N1 muffler, it was way too loud for me. now i have magnaflow street series, very conservertive muffler, nice and quiet, adds small growl around 2,500rpm-ish, rear-end finish is nice and clean.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:00 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The Y-pipe will yield by far the most gains. There are couple of spots where the stock exhaust is very inefficient. But, as far as bolt on cat backs vs. muffler shop custom ones it's personal preference. Going larger than 2.5" is usually reserved for the supercharger and turbo crowd. A word of advice, if you have the patience get the Y-pipe and the rest of the exhaust done at the same time. It'll be cheaper if you get some one else to do it and easier if you do it yourself. It's so much easier to hack off stuff than trying to remove rusted bolts.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by C MAX
i agree i also have the greddy exhaust and it sounds good.. deep growl but not too harsh.. also i would go stock size unless you plan on FI..
anything bigger than that would probably slow you down .. good power gain up top though..

Old 01-29-2004, 11:13 AM
V^___^V

Originally Posted by Midknight MAXX
The Y-pipe will yield by far the most gains. There are couple of spots where the stock exhaust is very inefficient. But, as far as bolt on cat backs vs. muffler shop custom ones it's personal preference. Going larger than 2.5" is usually reserved for the supercharger and turbo crowd. A word of advice, if you have the patience get the Y-pipe and the rest of the exhaust done at the same time. It'll be cheaper if you get some one else to do it and easier if you do it yourself. It's so much easier to hack off stuff than trying to remove rusted bolts.
on the 2.5" and y-pipe performance. maxima has very restrictive pre-cat, therefore installing an aftermarket y-pipe will eliminate the restriction. in addition, adding an intake will increase more air induction into the engine, it'll help you to pick up couple horses there.

as far as for installation, most parts are doable with proper tools and some help from an experienced friend. labor is very $$, u can save more $$ there...
Old 01-29-2004, 11:44 AM

you guys are the bomb

Hey thanks guys for your help... This knowledge is awosme.. U guys are the bomb... Good luck to you all and hope to here from all of you again, Later Rich
Old 01-29-2004, 12:01 PM

Here is my maxima with 2.25" piping. I have a subtle drone when you see the car driving away. Nothing like a Civic, but still a drone.

www.fusioncomtechnologies.com/exhaustsounds.zip

thanks to infinitiblast for hosting
Old 01-29-2004, 12:15 PM
2060lbs and falling...

I decided to go the custom route and ended up spending as much $$$ for the final setup. I started off with a 3A muffler(that was the wrong move, and was before I knew about the .org.) I was very critical of the sound so I played around with different resonator lengths. First I cut out the stock one. That was hella loud and raspy so then I went with a small glasspack type resonator, that sounded really wierd, then a 28" off the shelf resonator and that is what I've got now. So my muffler was $110 + $70 for install and the 2.5" catback with resonator experimentation was over $300. So thats $500 plus the hassle of dealing with it for a month. If I could do it again I would go with a nice catback like Greddy.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:35 PM
An atavistic endeavor...

Did a custom exhaust. 2.5" piping, 18" glasspack resonator, 14829(?) Magnaflow muffler, all welded in. Paid like 475...yes I got kinda ripped, but I'm 100% satisfied.

PLEASE download the clips and don't keep clicking on the link...THANKS

High speed pass

In car

outside revving