4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Engine Pinging

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 06:48 PM

Engine Pinging

I'm getting some engine pinging under moderate to heavy acceleration. Yes, I'm running nothing but premium fuel and the SES light is not on and there are no hidden codes. Do any of you know what else this could be before I hand over the $100 for a new knock sensor? I was under the impression that if I had a faulty knock sensor the SES light would come on or there would be some stored codes. What gives?
Old 01-29-2004, 06:57 PM

Knock sensor doesnt trip the SES light
Old 01-29-2004, 07:37 PM

I hear it does if your engine has a bad knock sensor, AND you're getting engine knock. Though I'm not sure how a new knock sensor would fix this. If the sensor is bad, then the ecu switches over to a safe map anyways, right? Maybe try that sea foam stuff. Clear out carbon deposits from the cylinder head and lower the compression ratio.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:48 PM
formz

Are you SURE it's knock and not just something rattling around? 99% of people can't hear/tell knock.

Old 01-29-2004, 09:51 PM

Yes, I'm 98% sure it's pinging. I've heard it lots of times in other cars. This car is in pristine condition and has been babied and maintained it's whole life. Only 84,000 miles on this 96 SE...so I doubt it's carbon deposits.

When it does ping, it almost seems like it stops as soon as it starts...almost as if the knock sensor hears the pinging and cuts back on the timing. Seems to bet getting progressively worse and occuring more often than when I first noticed it 2 months ago. Some days she won't ping at all! I'm stumped...
Old 01-30-2004, 05:08 AM

A car that has been "babied" is more prone to build up than a vehicle that is driven hard. One thing is for sure a bad knock sensor will not induce this event.
I would seriously consider trying another source for your 93 octane fuel. I have never had any preignition/pinging/knocking on my stock ecu in my 98 I30t.

In the past, my younger less educated days, I had a JWT ECU on my 93 SE and ran 87 octane. As you may have already guessed I could definitely hear some rattling sound from the engine compartment, and I thought it was a loose exhaust manifold heat shield, but turned out to be advanced timing and low octane.

The stock 4th gen ecu set at 15 degrees btdc and this is rather conservative timing and I could not imagine this happening. I think maybe different fuel from a different station, some new ngk spark plugs and a throttle body cleaning is in order.

Originally Posted by gmahn
Yes, I'm 98% sure it's pinging. I've heard it lots of times in other cars. This car is in pristine condition and has been babied and maintained it's whole life. Only 84,000 miles on this 96 SE...so I doubt it's carbon deposits.

When it does ping, it almost seems like it stops as soon as it starts...almost as if the knock sensor hears the pinging and cuts back on the timing. Seems to bet getting progressively worse and occuring more often than when I first noticed it 2 months ago. Some days she won't ping at all! I'm stumped...
Old 01-30-2004, 05:53 AM

According to Haynes manual:
Pinging or knocking engine sounds during acceleration or uphill
1. Incorrect grade of fuel
2. Ignition timing incorrect
3. Fuel injection system faulty
4. Improper or damaged spark plugs or wires
5. (doesn't apply to you)
6. EGR valve not functioning
7. Vaccuum leak

It's probably a plug not gapped correctly or injector dying or something Check for an air leak and the EGR valve.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:55 AM
Old Maxima Legend

im having the same trouble off an on. Im getting the egr valve code. can someone direct me to where the egr valve is under the hood and how to check it ? i thought someone said the hoses can get clogged or something ? not sure

jatan - do you know if mild pinging will destroy the engine ?
Old 01-30-2004, 07:36 AM

Constant pinging can probably hurt your engine (that's why the knock sensor is supposed to put your car in safe mode), but mild pinging once in a while won't do that much damage. Here's some good info on pinging http://www.msgroup.org/Contrary/NEG037.html Mostly all of the pinging stuff I've read online said that pinging can happen with carbon buildup inside your engine. I'll probably put SeaFoam in my car when the weather gets better to get some carbon out

You don't have a repair manual handy? Too bad the online Chilton manual isn't up yet I think the EGR is near the intake manifold. It has a circular shaped bottom with a 6 sided hex shaped thing top that has a hose connected to it. I don't have a pic since Chilton online is down
Old 01-30-2004, 06:10 PM

I certainly appreciate all the responses, guys!

hmmm, I've got new NGK Plats in there now (<10,000 miles) and throttle body is clean as a whistle (cleaned it 6 mos ago). I've tried different brands of gas but get the same thing. What's weird is that some days it's fine and she doesn't ping at all.

Dunno if this is related but I also get a slight engine vibration right before coming to a complete stop, almost feels like the A/T is in too high of a gear. Kinda makes me think that I've got a faulty sensor somehwere that is giving the ECU bad information. I also have a problem sometimes where it feels like the engine isn't quite as peppy below 3,500 RPM. I sooooo don't want to go to the dealership!
Old 01-30-2004, 06:43 PM

You can try and do the knock sensor resistor mod to rule out the knock sensor. Maybe it's the knock sensor harness

Maybe you might have the same problem as Ceasar, the EGR valve

You can also try resetting the ECU to see if that helps
Old 01-30-2004, 07:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

dont drive yourself crazy go to a mechanic or the dealership they will find the problem faster.