4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Issue starting car 10 minutes ago

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 11:29 AM

Issue starting car 10 minutes ago

OK, so i tried to start my car, it went on and then just died. I tried to restart but no luck, all i heard was click click click click from a spot right near where the fuses are inside the car. Other Symptoms: My auto door lock will click rapidly as it trie to lock my car door, my radio won't come on but my clock does but it is blinking, i turned on the "night lite" but the visors and it comes on ok, but when i turn on my headlight, it shuts off, tried to roll the windows down, there was that rapid clikcing noise again, and the windows goes down VERY VERY VERY slowly, then adjusted my auto seat, and that was very slow if moving at all.

Not sure what else it could be, i checked the battery, a little corrosion but that was dusted off ok, still didn't start. Turned the key to ACC/ON, enough so that the instrument panel lights came on and it came on but looked very dim, not to mention that at times there were beeps and at times there were no beeps..(beeps such as in teh key is in the ignitions, lights are on beep), as i turned on my headlight switch, the beep would turn off everytime i turned on the fog lights.

So i decided, not sure why, to open the door, turn the light switch on and off repeatedly along with the fog lights in no order and it started up ok. Everything works, the insturment panel was bright again, clock didn't blink, radio worked, everything was normal..

Does anyone know what this could be, how to fix it? I just want to make sure so that my car doesn't shut down on me on the highway. That would be disastrous. If you can help me, i would appreciate it. Any input would help..

It may be the battery, but then again it may be something even more with the electrical system....

Thanks in advanced!! You guys are extrememly helpful!!

-T
Old 02-04-2004, 12:18 PM
will fly for food

Originally Posted by teeezmaxSE
OK, so i tried to start my car, it went on and then just died. I tried to restart but no luck, all i heard was click click click click from a spot right near where the fuses are inside the car. Other Symptoms: My auto door lock will click rapidly as it trie to lock my car door, my radio won't come on but my clock does but it is blinking, i turned on the "night lite" but the visors and it comes on ok, but when i turn on my headlight, it shuts off, tried to roll the windows down, there was that rapid clikcing noise again, and the windows goes down VERY VERY VERY slowly, then adjusted my auto seat, and that was very slow if moving at all.

Not sure what else it could be, i checked the battery, a little corrosion but that was dusted off ok, still didn't start. Turned the key to ACC/ON, enough so that the instrument panel lights came on and it came on but looked very dim, not to mention that at times there were beeps and at times there were no beeps..(beeps such as in teh key is in the ignitions, lights are on beep), as i turned on my headlight switch, the beep would turn off everytime i turned on the fog lights.

So i decided, not sure why, to open the door, turn the light switch on and off repeatedly along with the fog lights in no order and it started up ok. Everything works, the insturment panel was bright again, clock didn't blink, radio worked, everything was normal..

Does anyone know what this could be, how to fix it? I just want to make sure so that my car doesn't shut down on me on the highway. That would be disastrous. If you can help me, i would appreciate it. Any input would help..

It may be the battery, but then again it may be something even more with the electrical system....

Thanks in advanced!! You guys are extrememly helpful!!

-T

that's.....really weird... go get your battery tested at like advance auto parts or autozone maybe... sorry I can't be more helpful
Old 02-04-2004, 03:06 PM

Maybe your battery is so weak that the car is acting funny. Maybe the car needs a certain voltage. Try a jump start. Then get the battery tested at autozone. If it's not the battery then we can start investigating other wiring problems.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:31 PM

Thanks!!! i'll get it checked out tonight. Is it free? what should i say?
Old 02-04-2004, 04:20 PM
will fly for food

Originally Posted by teeezmaxSE
Thanks!!! i'll get it checked out tonight. Is it free? what should i say?
it is free. just ask them to check your battery for you, i had to do that with my dad's truck and they did it with out a problem
Old 02-04-2004, 06:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sounds like a dead/dying battery...it also could be your battery terminals...
Old 02-05-2004, 09:36 AM

Hey Guys..

I went to autozone last night and they checked it for me. He said that my battery is fine and that it will be good until at least next winter. I have had that battery when i first got my car about 4 years ago. What do you guys think? I can go and buy another battery, but would rather not if the issue is with something else. BTW..Thanks for everyone's input!
Old 02-05-2004, 10:56 AM

You have a dying battery. My car acted strange when mine was dying, like with the beeping and all that.

Joe
Old 02-05-2004, 11:03 AM

Can i replace a battery myself or do i have to have whomever replace it? Do they have to test certain things before i can put a battery in there? I would do it myself but jsut wantt o make sure if there is anything that i should watch for before doing it.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

You could replace it yourself. Nothing to check...just pull out the old, and put in the new.

You can usually get the guy at the counter to do this for you
Old 02-06-2004, 08:37 AM
Who

Very strange...sounds like a short of some kind. Try shaking the connections to the fuse box and the ground from the battery with the key in the ignition position and see if the problems re-occur. Getting it checked by an electrician would be a good idea.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:35 AM

Hmmm. Indeed very strange. Changing the battery is something you should certainly do yourself. I'm not sure how old you are, but this is probably one of the easiest ways to begin to start working on your car, yourself.

What do the connections to the battery look like? all corroded?

I think you probably need a new battery too. If not battery, you may need a new starter. Lastly it could be your alternator.

Still, the fact that autozone said it was ok is odd.