4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just finished installing my H&R/KYBs!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2001, 08:15 PM

My Max now looks sweet! I haven't taken the car out yet, because my *** is sore and tired. It took me 3 1/2 hours to do all four corners.

One tip for the masses....
Get a damn helper. I did this myself and I'm thinking that I'm going to die. My hands hurt, my back hurts, my neck hurts, my nuts hurt....you get the idea. It is hell to be 35 (My birthday's tomorrow). Do crap like this before you get too old, guys. Oh....by the way...get a damn helper when you do this....did I mention that already? Damn....getting forgetful, too.

Peace!
Old 03-09-2001, 08:32 PM

I hear ya...

I installed and removed my springs, doing the first by myself and I was sore for a couple of days and my fingers were hurting and my back ached. the latter I did with a friend and it was a cinch. I agree with you... Have a friend help u or two friends or make a party of it...it's easier
Old 03-10-2001, 12:10 PM

What type of spring compressor tool did you use. I went to buy some in a local shop today and he didn't recomend me doing this at home. He said the clamp tool that compreses the spring can slip and you can get seriously injured. I also know that there are two types. One set up requires two clamps and the other set up goes on the inside of the spring.Which one should I get and use? My springs should be in by next weekend and I wanted to have my tools set up to install them.
Old 03-10-2001, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by davemax
What type of spring compressor tool did you use. I went to buy some in a local shop today and he didn't recomend me doing this at home. He said the clamp tool that compreses the spring can slip and you can get seriously injured. I also know that there are two types. One set up requires two clamps and the other set up goes on the inside of the spring.Which one should I get and use? My springs should be in by next weekend and I wanted to have my tools set up to install them.
I used the loaner tool from AutoZone.
It didn't cost anything to use, only a $40 deposit.
It is true that one can get seriously injured by a coil spring, but if one is careful and not in a hurry, it should not present a problem.
By the way, the compressors that go inside the spring cannot be used for the Max (or any other car woth McPherson strut suspension). You've got to use the "two clamps" thingie.

Hope this helps....by the way, did I mention that you should get a helper?

MJ

Old 03-10-2001, 04:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am curious if the photo in your sig is before the installation or after.....?
Old 03-10-2001, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by WizzaMax
I am curious if the photo in your sig is before the installation or after.....?
That pic is before.
I'm thinking I'll wash/wax the car tomorrow for a new pic.

Old 03-11-2001, 09:00 AM

How much

Originally posted by Mad Jap
My Max now looks sweet! I haven't taken the car out yet, because my *** is sore and tired. It took me 3 1/2 hours to do all four corners.

One tip for the masses....
Get a damn helper. I did this myself and I'm thinking that I'm going to die. My hands hurt, my back hurts, my neck hurts, my nuts hurt....you get the idea. It is hell to be 35 (My birthday's tomorrow). Do crap like this before you get too old, guys. Oh....by the way...get a damn helper when you do this....did I mention that already? Damn....getting forgetful, too.

Peace!
did you pay for your springs and where did you get them? One piece of advise.......get a helper next time! hehehe! Thanks.
Old 03-12-2001, 12:12 PM

Re: How much

Originally posted by dch95

did you pay for your springs and where did you get them? One piece of advise.......get a helper next time! hehehe! Thanks.
I paid $218 for the H&Rs at Tire Rack.
I know that I could have gotten them for less elsewhere, but they had the best prices for the other stuff I ordered (Kumho 712s for my brother, KYBs all the way around for my Max, and also the strut mount/bearings).
After everything was combined, I ended up saving a little more by shipping them all together.