4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car wont Start with TECHNO ECU HELP !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 04:42 AM

Car wont Start with TECHNO ECU HELP !!!!

I got up this morning , hopped in max turned the key, and it tried to start and just died right away. No check engine light or anything? What is wrong my NEW ECU???????????? The only thing i could possibly think of is it's 0* F in Minnesota this morning.

Good thing i had my stock ecu right by, so i took the techno out, and put the stock one in , and like magic it started and runs perfect.

Please help guys if you know what this could be.. This ecu was very expensive for me and to have to deal with it not working, is not an option.

Thanks guys, now im gonna to work and talk to my gm and explain to him why i was last this morning
Old 02-14-2004, 07:26 AM

damn u been having alot of trouble with this ECU, dont quote me on this but did u disconnect the battery while removing and adding techno ECU cause maybe a short can happen, also make sure the ecu screw is not in the middle..if i were you i would call danny and explain cause it is alot of $$ to be fooling around
Old 02-14-2004, 07:35 AM
Old Maxima Legend

make sure its in tight ! sometimes if you dont get the ecu even and connected properly the car will not crank.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:03 AM
SLOW

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
make sure its in tight ! sometimes if you dont get the ecu even and connected properly the car will not crank.

Yes make sure the connector is snug. It is possible to tighten down the screw and have the connector slanted so that not all the wires are making contact I have done this before. I do not believe it has anything to do with the temperature. Modifying the ignition and fuel maps doesnt have anything to do with the car starting, and wouldn't be dependent upon temperature anyhow. Did the car turn over and just not fire or did it start and then stall out. You can turn the car over with no ECU at all it will just not fire.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:56 PM

ok now that i have time to write this is what happened. I was driving it yesterday, and the cel came up . So i rest it like every says to. The cel went away for about an hour, came back on. I went to work , and had it scanned. Came up p0136 aka the rear o2 sensor so i said fine. So as i was leaving work i wanted to reset it, so i started my car to make sure it worked, it did , then all of a sudden the cel went away , so i left it be. So i wanted my friend to drive it because i am having some clutch issues. We drove it for about an hour, ran perfect. the only thing i notice up to this point is after reseting it the first time, when i would start the car it would start then stuggle to continue to run it would start at 800 rpms , then drop to 400, then raise back up . Same would happen if i rev'd it up . once it warmed up it was fine. But this morning it would start go to 800 rpms and then just die like it had no gas right away. So this morning after last night and everything was fine it wouldnt start, which is why i need your guy's help. I did disconnect the battery when swapping and i know the harness is in correct. where does the screw need to be? because that might be an issue, i looked at the ecu and it is all the way to the right where it lines up with " self diagnosis mode select" Is that right? Please help guys !!!

p.s when switching ecu's this morning i didnt' have time to disconnect the batter, which doesn't seem to be a problem because other memeber say they dont disconnet it either.

thank you for your help, i know this is long.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:30 PM

the screw should be all the way to the left!
Old 02-14-2004, 05:32 PM
Old Maxima Legend

i wouldnt bother with the battery, i switch mine back and forth and never mess with the battery.

i would say its normal for the rpms to jump and then drop a bit ( weird idle) after first hooking up the new ecu. I know this has happend at least a few times with my car (both upgraded and stock ecus). But I just let the car idle and it leveled out.

on the cel, if you reset ecu sure it will disappear, but in my experience the ecu wont pop the cel back up until some miles get put on the car. I have seen mine stay off and then come on after 10 miles to 100 miles.

the ecu screw sounds like its in the right position to me unless its backwards, so check that. turn it gently back counterclockwise.

maybe some other guys will stop by this thread, all i could think to do, is to unscrew the ecu and connect it again, making sure it connects evenly and secure. what you are describing sounds to me like its not connected properly.

also, it could be my redneck theory talking, but leave the ecu alone ........lol ! Once you get it running drive around for a while ( 100 miles or more ) i could be dreaming this, but I think my ecu shows a bigger improvement after its been connected and in the car for awhile.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:23 PM
SLOW

The screw needs to be turned all the way counterclockwise until you reach the stop. Don't turn it hard or else you can turn it right past the stop, just gently turn it til you feel resistance. The groove in the screw should be running from about 10:30-4:30 if you imagine the screw being the face of a clock. The groove should line up with self diagnosis mode, however if you think about it you could turn the screw 180 degrees and it would still be lined up the same way, but in the wrong position and your car would not run if you don't continually give it gas.

I've had the screw in the wrong position and the car kept stalling out on me immediately after start unless i continually gave it gas.

it's possible that your screw is just off enough that once the car is warm, the idle is funky but not bad enough to stall it out, but when the car was dead cold this morning it just wouldn't stay lit.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:43 PM

I had it faced at 230 and 830 and i think it was all the way to the RIGHT, not left . Maybe this is my problem. when i read this "

To reset the engine light is a simple procedure.

1. Turn the selector screw clockwise to its stop.
2. Wait 2 seconds.
3. Return back by turning the screw counterclockwise to its stop.
4. IMMEDIATELY REPEAT steps 1 to 3.

""

I did the oppisite .. I hope this didnt hurt anything. If it is warm enough tomorrow, im gonna give it anyother go.

Thanks guys for all your help, i appreciate being able to just write and with in an hour have answers. Thank you all again. I will keep you posted.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:47 PM
SLOW

It won't hurt anything, I've turned it past the stop a number of times. Your car just won't idle like that. Glad we got your problem solved.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:13 PM

I never turned it past the stop. When i turned it all the way to the RIGHT it would line up with the self diag spot in the upper right which i previous described. so having it turned all the way to the RIGHT, do you guys think that is the cause of all my problems?

THANK YOU MAXIMA MEMEBERS !!!!
Old 02-14-2004, 10:02 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by 96white
I never turned it past the stop. When i turned it all the way to the RIGHT it would line up with the self diag spot in the upper right which i previous described. so having it turned all the way to the RIGHT, do you guys think that is the cause of all my problems?

THANK YOU MAXIMA MEMEBERS !!!!
I'm sure of it.