4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HELP! Manual 1st and 2nd gear trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 03:20 PM

HELP! Manual 1st and 2nd gear trouble

Any and all help will be really appreciated. If there is a giant thread sitting in front of me that I should've read before asking, I'm sorry, I have no time to read the rest of the forum to search for the problem/solution. When I was driving today, out of nowhere, my transmission would NOT let me shift into first or second gear. Third, fourth and fifth were perfectly fine. So, I had to get rolling from stopped through third gear, which was really a pain. After driving a long some more, and making a right turn, when I downshifted, it allowed me to drop to 2nd gear. Then, for a while, first and second gear were back in working order. I had to drive again later in the day, and 1st/2nd gear function, but it's tough getting them in gear. Also, when shifting to second, the gear itself works, but the stick doesn't really shift all the way into it, so it feels like it can just pop out of gear. I'd like to know what problem(s) exactly I'm facing, what could've caused them, and what needs to be fixed. Thank you.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:55 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

wow wish i could help you out here bud, my initial guess was something clutch related.. but that doesnt really make sense.... good luck
Old 02-16-2004, 04:10 PM

Maybe has something to do with the selector fork? Did you have any grinding issues when going into first or second gear before this started? If they were grinding the selector fork could have been damaged.

Andrew
Old 02-16-2004, 04:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Do you have clutch chatter? Is it hard to put it into these gears with the engine off?
Old 02-16-2004, 06:33 PM

Well, the gears never "grinded", per se, but sometimes, you had to put some force into shifting from neutral to first when the car was stopped, and there was never any resistance with shifting into second gear
Old 02-16-2004, 06:55 PM

Sryth is right; check to see if you can shift gears with the engine off. If you can engage all gears easily and fully with the engine not running, then it is the clutch or hydraulic system.

If the tranny's o.k., then the first thing to check is clutch fluid. If the clutch master cylinder is dry, you will probably have to bleed the system.

If the fluid level is good, then check out the linkage. I have an A/T so I'm not sure, but some cars have adjustment rods on either the master clyinder or slave cylinder. Check for proper travel on the slave cylinder output. If there's no travel, you may have a bad master cylinder. If you seem to have good travel, your clutch is probably going south.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:07 PM

Ok, thanks. Also, some fluid was leaking from the front right section of the car yesterday. I'm not too sure as to what it was, but I'm sure it's not oil, and it stopped leaking all of a sudden.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:08 PM

And furthermore, I have no idea whatsoever as to where I can check the manual transmission fluid. The owner's manual only says where I can check automatic transmission fluid, which is of no use to me. Could I get some help with that, too?
Old 02-16-2004, 08:31 PM

Oh, and I just took a look under the hood, and the clutch fluid level is right at the "Min" line, but isn't a tad below it...I'm still clueless as to what the problem is.

EDIT - I shifted around while the car was turned off, and it felt normal and shifted fine
Old 02-17-2004, 03:22 PM

I'll bet you are out of fluid. Top it off with a NEW can of Castrol LMA DOT 3/4, pump the clutch pedal several times slowly, then check the fluid again. My guess is that the slave clyinder is shot, but you could just have a bad hose. You will have to get under it to check. MAKE SURE THAT YOU USE JACK STANDS ON LEVEL GROUND!

Manual trannies don't need fluid changes/checks like autos do. Most manuals have a plug in the bottom for draining and a plug in the side for filling/checking.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:49 PM

You might need to bleed your clutch line to get full engagement or the tranny might be very low on gear oil. First gear especially relies on good lube on the synchros to shift into while the engine is running.

There's a filler hole on the side of the tranny that can be removed with a bare ratchet (no socket). Remove the plug and stick your finger in there. The gear oil should be up to the level of the hole, or very near it to be at the correct level.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:05 PM

i had the same problem but it was the floor mat not letting my engauge the clutch..