4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

CAI, and Exhaust Question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 10:32 AM

CAI, and Exhaust Question.

Hello Fellow Maxima owners.

I first off want to say hello to my Maxima people out there, I recently became a Maxima owner, shes my first car as well.

Shes a 1996 Black SE 5 speed, all stock for now.

I am looking about puttin a CAI, into her, but I am very new at moding, the first modification I am about to do on my own is, put the GTR emblem on the back ( that should scare other cars behind me).

I was looking at the Injen CAI intake, does anyone know if there any good, or if there is better?

Also I'm sure if I get a CAI, will need to mod my exhaust to deal with the more air comming out?

bear with my I'm new at this, also where could I get such a mod done? a friend of mine suggested my Nissan dearlership but I'm sure they would cost me a lot more than it should, but Savannah ( where I'm going to school) I'm sure doesnt have any, does anyone know of anywhere good in atlanta, or a good suggestion what I could do?

thanks a bunch guys.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:40 AM

you can get a bomz CAI off ebay it cheap and works the same just get a bigger filter for it. warpspeed makes a good catback and you can install the CAI and a muffler shop can install teh catback
Old 02-17-2004, 10:42 AM
Always sunny in philly

Originally Posted by MDeezy
Hello Fellow Maxima owners.

I first off want to say hello to my Maxima people out there, I recently became a Maxima owner, shes my first car as well.

Shes a 1996 Black SE 5 speed, all stock for now.

I am looking about puttin a CAI, into her, but I am very new at moding, the first modification I am about to do on my own is, put the GTR emblem on the back ( that should scare other cars behind me).

I was looking at the Injen CAI intake, does anyone know if there any good, or if there is better?

Also I'm sure if I get a CAI, will need to mod my exhaust to deal with the more air comming out?

bear with my I'm new at this, also where could I get such a mod done? a friend of mine suggested my Nissan dearlership but I'm sure they would cost me a lot more than it should, but Savannah ( where I'm going to school) I'm sure doesnt have any, does anyone know of anywhere good in atlanta, or a good suggestion what I could do?

thanks a bunch guys.

The only thing that GTR emblem on the back will do is make ppl laugh at you. Dont do it, its a Maxima No-no

But otherwise, you should go w/the suggestion above. Intakes are intakes...
Old 02-17-2004, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
, the first modification I am about to do on my own is, put the GTR emblem on the back ( that should scare other cars behind me).
you can do this but dont ever admit to it around here.

like someone said all intakes are pretty similar, injen dosent need a hole in you engine bay as the place racing does. and all the other hai intakes are similar as well

you will not need to mod your exhaust for the little extra air flow, however, you should look into getting the y-pipe as most would agree it is the best mod for the maxima and is nearly 100% satisfaction gaurenteed.

you can do the intake install yourself as all you need are basic hand tools, and you can get instructions w/ pictures online

good luck
Old 02-17-2004, 10:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

read the FAQ's is very informative, itll probalby answer most of your modding questions, did for me, got my car 7 months ago, havnet installed a CAI, but im probalby going for a homedepot intake or the OSCAI because the CAI isnt going to alter anything, just get more of the air into your engine (check the FAQ's) its the sticky on top in red font i believe.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:13 PM

Yeah read the FAQ's. They help so much! It seems like the general consensus is a Ypipe is the best bang for the buck as far as mods go, although some say intake, like the CAI. Right now I'm organizing a group deal with Warpspeed for their Ypipe for $160 shipped. We've got enough people in it, but if you're interested I've never heard of them selling this cheap before. Seems like 10+ hp is about the minimum, just from the ypipe. Do that before a catback, check out the group deals forum and pm (personal message) me if you're interested. (oh, and you can add the hi flo cat for an extra $85)
Old 02-18-2004, 08:59 PM

Thanks you guys for the many responces, I wont go with the GTR emblem in the back, it does seem a bit corny.

How beneficial is putting a CAI on my Max? If it doesnt make much of a difference then I would go for the ever popular Y Pipes.

I'm still fairly new to cars but am ready more and more daily. What exactly does the Y Pipes do? and can I purchase them online and get a muffler shop to put it on (as I've been reading),

If the CAI does give a decent bost, where can I find a page that give me details on how to install, all I've done under my hood was, add oil, change my air intake filter, and thats it. Is it really that easy or not that difficult to install, I wouldnt want to start then I mess things up?

thanks for the help again.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:10 PM

Take a look at:

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaPerformance

CAI makes 5-7 hp. Also take a look at the other forms of intakes.

Y makes 12-15 pretty regularly by decreasing the backpressure of the exhuast, from restrivtive bends and mostly from the precats. You can purchase them online (the group deal ends on the 21, but there's a Cattman group deal that'll go longer, and you could always pay full price). You can pay muffler shops to install them, but I hear the install isn't that bad...I'm going to try it.

Check the how-to's, there are a few pages about installing various intakes.