4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

very very very upset story

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 07:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

very very very upset story

I am an idiot, knows nothing about cars. This story happened in Ontario, Canada.

I got my 95 maxima today, paid CDN$5700 for it. When driving it home find it's very bumpy. Took it to a mechanic check, find out that all the rear suspension springs (not sure about the terms. the thing between tire and body) are broken and the two front suspension shocks( the tube in the spring) are not working or something. My mechanic told me that a car like that can't pass the safety test to get a certification, and I was cheated by the seller.

I then went back to the seller, and he and his wife told me that they knew this thing and it is not a problem. They said that it was like that when then bought it one year ago! And they told me that some people intentionally CUT the spring to lower the body and make it sporty!(Is that true?) And he said it's very ok to pass a safety check like that.

Then I said ok, you are good. I will contact my lawyer and check with ministry of transportation in Ontario to see what they say. Actually my lawyer already told me that I can sue the seller and the mechanic and I don't even need to pay the lawyer's fee.

Yes, I am an idiot, but I recorded my last conversation with the seller and it plays back very clear. Before I left, I let them know that there is a recorder in my pocket.

Then I headed home and now received 2 calls from this seller and one call from the safety check person. They offer me to change the springs and shocks (if so called) at their cost. I agreed and said that I will bring my own mechanic with me to supervise the repair.

I am really upset about this because I trusted the seller at the very begining (he is a rich guy with a big house and two new cars) and now feel like an idiot. And my wife and I are living on my scholarship and has no any other income, and we may just spend 6 grand on a junk!

I really don't know what I should do, maybe I should accept their offer or just sue them to get my money back. really don't know. what do you think?
Old 02-17-2004, 07:28 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

I think you are a chick with a wife I dunno why you had to mention that...

anyways, if YOUR mechanic checks out the rest of the car (engine and sucH), just have the seller pay for new suspension (Springs and shocks all around).
Old 02-17-2004, 07:33 PM

Cutting springs is dangerous. That's why they have aftermarket springs... http://maxmods.dyndns.org
Originally Posted by nadir_s
I was thinking the same thing
Old 02-17-2004, 07:34 PM

"And my wife and I are living on my scholarship and has no any other income"
Originally Posted by nadir_s

haha
Old 02-17-2004, 07:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i'm assuming your name is Peter cuz of the title. I say just get the thing fixed. Paying for lawyers for a law suit will not be worth it.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ok changed to idiot.

don't know what 'chick' actually means at first.

though it's possible to get a wife for a chick in canada.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by wariow
i'm assuming your name is Peter cuz of the title. I say just get the thing fixed. Paying for lawyers for a law suit will not be worth it.
thanks for your opinion.

is it possible to return the car and get my money back?
if i report it to ministry of transportion, his mechanic may lose his license.

too mad now, can't express clearly.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:25 PM

have the previous owner pay for new springs and shocks and have them pay for teh mechanic to install them. done deal
Old 02-17-2004, 08:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Nismo
have the previous owner pay for new springs and shocks and have them pay for teh mechanic to install them. done deal
thanks.

my concern is, if they have driven like that for a while, would it hurt the other parts badly?
Old 02-17-2004, 08:50 PM

Replace front strut bearings and maybe the front mounts.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:54 PM

allignment may be way off so maybe have the tires checked out for uneven wear

Maybe you should post this in the Canadian forum to help you with the legal issues because the US may have different regulation. Ministry of transportation? never heard of that, department of transportation I heard of
Old 02-18-2004, 05:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

thank all you guys for replying..

the left side front tire is more worn than the right side counterpart

i am contacting people who understand the law here to check out what they say

basically i want either my full money back or the car being in good running condition
Old 02-18-2004, 07:50 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Why not just have the seller refund you some money to purchase a set of Eibach/H&R springs (~1.5" drop) and some good shocks? If he buys the equipment from Nissan, he'll spend way too much money. You can get a set of new H&R/Eibach springs and AGX adjustable shocks for ~$600 (US). If he buys you OEM shocks/springs you'll be looking at at least $1200 (US) and lower quanity parts. With the lowering springs and good shocks you'll get better braking, superior handling, and a drop that will not severely reduce wheeltravel. The inspector won't even know the car has been lowered since 4th gen Maximas sit so G-damn high to begin with.

Dave
Old 02-18-2004, 09:19 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by mad_peter
my wife and I are living on my scholarship and has no any other income
I hope you scholorship is not to put you through school as an English major.:-) Sorry I had to.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by mad_peter
I got my 95 maxima today, paid CDN$5700 for it. When driving it home find it's very bumpy. Took it to a mechanic check, find out that all the rear suspension springs (not sure about the terms. the thing between tire and body) are broken and the two front suspension shocks( the tube in the spring) are not working or something. My mechanic told me that a car like that can't pass the safety test to get a certification, and I was cheated by the seller.
so, here's a nagging question that i can't quite figure out... why in the hell wouldn't you have noticed the poor ride BEFORE you bought the car and drove it home? this shouldn't even be an issue!
Old 02-18-2004, 10:06 AM
ABK

tell them to give you your $500 back and go get some AGXs with new springs.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:17 AM

im not sure.... but i dont think u can record someone without their permission... so if u told them u had a recorder in your pocket after u had the conversation with them without their permission, then u cant use that in court...

i think...
Old 02-18-2004, 10:20 AM
ABK

Take it to small claims court.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Nismo

WHERE DID YOU GET THAT GRILL?

WEBSITE,ETC?????
Old 02-18-2004, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by BLACKICE99
WHERE DID YOU GET THAT GRILL?

WEBSITE,ETC?????
Motostorm S5 grill
http://www.motostorm.com

Member PHSinvent makes them
Old 02-19-2004, 05:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

thank all you guys replying...

i will try to ask either the seller or the safety certificate person to refund me some money and take the car to get a repair, apparently they are in the same boat. if that is not working, i will report it to authorities and i don't care what consequnces they are going to have but just don't want they keep cheating people, i know that by this way i am going to pay the repair by myself.

my major was not english, absolutely. chick has another means in my own language, that those people first touching some field. anyway, this is not the point to continue on.