4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

help... problem with suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2001, 09:49 PM

Today, when I was pulling out of my driveway, I noticed that when I turned the wheel without going anywhere, it made a creaking kind of noise. I just noticed it today. I installed new struts/shocks and spring about a week ago and replaced all strut mount and bearings/bushing. Kind of sounds like the noise that the right strut made with the stock struts. But not quite the same. Could it be some how I over tighted the center bolt on the strut? Tightened it to 50lbs/ft. Or did tighted something enough? The spring I installed, pro-kit, wasnt as long as the stock, and if you kind of tired, you're able to move it even after reassembling the strut. Hmm...could it just be that the springs is moving when you turn the wheel? Is that ok though? Hmm...but isnt that what the bearing is for? Please help me!
Old 03-11-2001, 02:22 AM

maybe its ur bumpstop...
Old 03-11-2001, 02:43 AM

Give us the specifics on what you installed and what car you have. OEM or aftermarket? Is it like a rubber on rubber noise?

There is a difference in the strut isolators on SE's and I had a similar noise after I installed the wrong ones. To check if it's the strut isolator, spray some lubricant into the area and see if the sound goes away or gets less noticeable. If it does, then later (next day) comes back, that may be the problem.

I installed H&R's and noticed the same looseness in the spring once the assy was put back together. I think that's normal. Once you put it on the car and put the car back on the ground, it will be ok.
Old 03-11-2001, 08:31 AM

Creaking

[QUOTE]Originally posted by danny's_max
Today, when I was pulling out of my driveway, I noticed that when I turned the wheel without going anywhere, it made a creaking kind of noise. I just noticed it today. I installed new struts/shocks and spring about a week ago and replaced all strut mount and bearings/bushing. Kind of sounds like the noise that the right strut made with the stock struts. But not quite the same. Could it be some how I over tighted the center bolt on the strut?

I doubt that you overtorqued the strut bolt. How about the three upper attach bolts? Check those.

[/] Tightened it to 50lbs/ft. Or did tighted something enough? The spring I installed, pro-kit, wasnt as long as the stock, and if you kind of tired, you're able to move it even after reassembling the strut. Hmm...could it just be that the springs is moving when you turn the wheel? Is that ok though? Hmm...but isnt that what the bearing is for? Please help me! QUOTE]

If you installed lowering springs, then in some cases you can actually install and remove the lowering spring (NOT THE STOCK SPRINGS) without the need for a spring compressor because they are designed that way. Once the car is lowered though, I highly doubt you would be able to move the spring at all. Hope this helps.

Old 03-12-2001, 07:14 PM

Well, I have a 98 GXE, and I installed KYB and Eibach's. The sound it makes is kind of like rubber on metal. Like it makes a thumping noise. What is a strut isolator? Is it that bearing thing that goes between the strut and the strut mount? I bought new ones from KYB, I'm pretty sure that I put them on the right way. I'll check tomorrow, but today when I was just looking around the strut area, I turned the wheel and it only makes that noise when I turn the wheel to the left. I sprayed some lubricant but it didnt make a difference. Also, makes a louder noise when the car in down and not jacked up off its wheel. Oh yah, its only one the left side. I'm guessing I'll have to take everything apart and put it back together, and see if it still makes the noise.