4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Is my 96 Maxima BOSE Stereo Dead?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 06:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is my 96 Maxima BOSE Stereo Dead?

My 96 Maxima Bose Stereo doesn't seem to work anymore. It just died all of a sudden when I inserted a tape. The Power/CD/Radio buttons/ Tape eject buttons don't work (I have a tape stuck in there now). I checked the fuses, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. The unit seems to be getting power because the CD LED indicating a CD is inserted is on. Any sugestions on how to get it working again or is the unit pretty much toast? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by smeaf
My 96 Maxima Bose Stereo doesn't seem to work anymore. It just died all of a sudden when I inserted a tape. The Power/CD/Radio buttons/ Tape eject buttons don't work (I have a tape stuck in there now). I checked the fuses, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. The unit seems to be getting power because the CD LED indicating a CD is inserted is on. Any sugestions on how to get it working again or is the unit pretty much toast? Thanks in advance.
Sheesh, i'm not sure. I would try pulling the negative battery cable for a few min's then turn back on the radio portion (dont hit the tape button or tape eject). See if that works. If i ever get a tape stuck in mine it will never eject with the eject button, i have to hit the tape stop button and then it will eject (instead of stop).
Old 02-26-2004, 10:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I got the same problem with my 96 last yr and I thought it was the HU,so I went and bought a new HU,while I was removing my old HU,I check and make sure my wire got power and ground.To my surprise there was no ground,so I drilled a srew in the metal behind the back of the rack,and cut the ground wire, and connect it direct the the metal,and put back my old HU and it came back to live.So I hook everything back and leave the old HU in there,but it only last for a few days,so I toke the old HU out thinking maybe this time the old HU went bad cause I already got direct ground,so while I toke the old HU out I test again,what surprise me was again NO GROUND,WTF?So I add the ooglie ground wires and clean out all the ground connection on the neg side,and check,boom I got ground again.So you might want to clean you NEG side cable and sand out the paint,and check the power(+) and ground(-) on the stock connector to see if you have power and ground or not.You might be lucky like me for just having a bad ground connection,sorry for the long post.Today my HU is still working KNOCK on wood.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try them both out.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:02 AM

Can't help you but you probably will get more assistance if you move your post to the Audio and Electronics Group.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was able to get my Stereo working by disconnecting one of the battery cables. This looked like it reset the stereo and the tape ejected fine. I will keep the other tips in mind in case it fails in the future. Thanks!
Old 02-28-2004, 06:15 PM

The bose system seems to have a limited life, mine just quit working last year. But dig through the audio/electronics section of the forums, there's some good discussion in there about taking apart the bose HU.