4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Warmer weather again = smell from air vents

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 01:41 PM

Warmer weather again = smell from air vents

It's that time of the year again. I've recently been getting that mildew or moldy smell from my air vents that makes the car smell; even with my air fresheners. I recall reading a thread last year about the air vents/compressor being infested because of the warming weather.

What is the simplest home-remedy to kill the foul smell? Was it a mixture of vinegar and water into the outside vents with the heat on full for a few minutes? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by PhillyMAx
It's that time of the year again. I've recently been getting that mildew or moldy smell from my air vents that makes the car smell; even with my air fresheners. I recall reading a thread last year about the air vents/compressor being infested because of the warming weather.

What is the simplest home-remedy to kill the foul smell? Was it a mixture of vinegar and water into the outside vents with the heat on full for a few minutes? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all.
Yah I am going through the same problem right now too, at first I thought it may be the floor mats from being damp from the rain, but nope they were cleaned and the smell isnt from them so I am thinking the same thing with the vents. Im wondering if I just take a can of lysol and just start spraying in the vents if that will help? anyone have any ideas
Old 03-08-2004, 02:07 PM

It's the mold and mildew that builds up on the evaporator. Go to the autoparts store and buy the can of "stuff" (can't remember any names right now) and follow the directions. Go in and let them know what you're looking for and they'll point you in the right direction. Also, if you search around online, you may find a company that I've seen before that sells a can with a hose/tube attached to it. You can feed it down into closer to the evaporator.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:37 PM

Just pick up a small can of Lysol disenfectant spray and empty it into the vents under the driverside windshield wiper. You'll want to lift the hood to get full access to the vents. While spraying run fan on high, and adjust to all different blower positions. You should probably roll all you windows down, although I didn't. Use AC for a bit too.
This will get rid of any offencive odors and kill the mildew and bacteria in you ducts.

Works for me, I always done this every spring in all my vehicles that smelled.

-Joe
Old 03-08-2004, 04:02 PM

Its mold growing on the AC parts inside the car after it gets all damp from the A/C. The solution is very easy. Get a can of lysol. Drop all your windows and sunroof. Turn the AC on "outside air". Turn the fan to "high". Empty the can thru the cowl intake (under the wipers). Get in the car and change the fan position settings thru all- defrost, high, low and bilevel. Next, take trip down interstate at high speed with heater on to help speed the smells like a hospital smell from vehicle. Problem solved.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by (_8*(l)Homer
Just pick up a small can of Lysol disenfectant spray and empty it into the vents under the driverside windshield wiper. You'll want to lift the hood to get full access to the vents. While spraying run fan on high, and adjust to all different blower positions. You should probably roll all you windows down, although I didn't. Use AC for a bit too.
This will get rid of any offencive odors and kill the mildew and bacteria in you ducts.

Works for me, I always done this every spring in all my vehicles that smelled.

-Joe
oops....what he said