4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Huh? Body Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 10:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Huh? Body Control Module

New here, and what a wealth of information in the forums. I was unable to do an actual search (I did read through a bunch of FAQ etc.) for this so thought I would ask.

My 1995 SE started acting up about 1 month ago. My keyless entry would not open the door. So, I open it with the actual key. Then the alarm goes off. THEN I can use the remote to stop the alarm (the car wont start while the alarm is going off. I'm guessing this is part of the security). I can hit the "open" again and it will unlock all the other doors. The windows stop working too.

Now, if I lock the car up, with the keyless remote, and then try again to unluck within a few minutes I'm able to unlock and lock over and over again without a problem. BUT, if I wait too long, somewhere around 5 minutes, it goes into this "stubborn" mode again and won't let me open unless I use the actual key in the door (and have to do the above key steps again to get it thinking okay again). And, sometimes the windows will work and sometimes they wont.

Well, I brought it into Nissan today and they did some type of diagnostics, which really sounded like it amounted to nothing, but they said the BCM (Body Control Module) needed to be replaced, and it would cost me $1,300.00!!! Yikes! (They said they checked the fuses(like I did) and relays etc. and everything else "seemed" okay)

I told them "no thanks" for right now. I needed to hunt around and see what can learn - and found this place! So, can anyone shed some light on whether that would be the problem AND if it should really cost that much? And, can I bring it in somewhere else to get this done for cheaper. The car is in great condition and all(and only 113k miles), but $1300.

thanks, brian