4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What are the best springs to go with!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 10:48 PM

What are the best springs to go with!

I know this topic has been brought up many times but SCINCE the search engine ain't working I thought i'd post it up again. Well I'm going through a dilemma of springs. I HATE my current suspension set up I have KYB AGX's with Maxspeeds it's way too stiff for me I feel every pebble in the damn ground. Ok now before everyone starts going "GET H&R's" I'd like to state that I want to SLAM it as low as possible without using REAL coil overs or Air ride. So possibilities are like Eibach, ground controls etc. So EVERYONE not just 1 or 2 put your 2 cents into this and let me know what you feel is good. I'm looking for a softer ride and a lower looks. Maxspeeds barely made my car look dropped looks stock to me I would of been better off with stock springs because it would be so harsh on my as$.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:53 PM
V^___^V

i thought AGX is adjustable...why not just try it on lower setting? (ie. 2 front 4 back, or 1 front 3 back)
Old 03-11-2004, 10:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Get some Sprints! I dont really know the ride quality, but the drop sure looks nice
Old 03-11-2004, 11:07 PM
Blazin......

You cannot EXPECT to drop ur car and it ride well . Regardless of the spring if its that LOW it'll be a crappy ride.

Ur right Maxspeed suck and So does Sprint.. read 2pgs back about the complaints on these forums. Youll have back probs in no time.

1 option to consider is ur Maxspeed and Cut out ur bumpstops but when u ground your car will hurt so badley bc theres no where else but frame to frame... im sure the max has some sort of bumpstop as every honda and toyota ive seen does..

Other than that.. H&R's
PS. dont think your handeling will be better bc ur lower, Unless u go with a Reliable Brand such as H&R or Ebiach you'll be on here complaining about the crappy springs and harsh ride...

>Get Extra stocks to cut to ur preference. .02$
Old 03-12-2004, 02:37 AM

It's your AGX that's the problem, they are harsh shocks. Illuminas would have been a better bet. That's why we always recommend them over AGX. It's sure not the maxspeeds, they are soft soft soft. And don't even think about coilovers, they are easily 5x rougher.

Speaking of which, have you read:
http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?SuspensionSelection

That would have helped you pick out a good setup right from the start.

And if you think your car is rough, I've got a supra on H&R race springs and an Eclipse on high spring rate FLT-A2s that you should ride in. You don't just feel the bumps, you hit your head on the ceiling over them.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:54 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I agree, its not the Maxspeeds. It def. the AGX. I have a pair of AGX in the rear of the 96 Max.....they are set at 4 and boy is it stiff. I remember back to my Intrax on stock SE struts and the difference is amaizing. The AGX are so much stiffer more responsive. BTW you really can't get a much softer spring than the Maxspeeds. The Eibachs which are rated the same drop as Maxspeeds, but are about the stiffest spring you can buy. If you want a low drop and a nice ride I recomend Intrax or Progress, both pretty low and both rather soft. I really felt that my Intrax road about the same as stock, but handled much better especially on the highway. They really were not that bad.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:18 AM

A soft spring set that slams your car would be Tein S. Tech. But since it's soft, you MIGHT have problems with bottoming out. I'll find out this Sunday if I do start bottoming out after the installation. Currently I'm riding on Maxspeeds and they're not as harsh as you described it. I agree with everyone else, it's your shocks because AGX is known to be stiff. Why not try to lower your settings so it's a bit softer. Try that, and then let us know how it goes. If it's still too stiff for you, then the only thing I can recommend is getting Tokico Illuminas.