4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Finally got pics of my smoked red-clears and sidemarkers *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 02:56 PM

Finally got pics of my smoked red-clears and sidemarkers *pics*

4 coats of VHT Niteshades and a couple coats of clearcoat...needs more clearcoat tho. Came out awesome...just like the FD RX7s that I wanted them to look like. Nighttime and daytime lighting is good...actually i think my signals are more visible tinted bc when they were clear the light didnt really contrast much with the clear...but now the light shines out from a dark housing so it stands out more.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:00 PM

Smoked OEM Nissan sidemarkers for foreign markets...got them from Frank (jdmmax)...wired to my signals
Old 03-15-2004, 03:02 PM

Looks good luda, mabye i'll throw another coat on mine
Old 03-15-2004, 03:03 PM

nice, i like it... where did you get your niteshades... im trying to get rid of the horrible amber
Old 03-15-2004, 03:05 PM

looks good, man. I happen to like the little side marker light like the VW's and BMW's and other German makes have.

However, I hardly believe that the visibility is more now that you tinted your tail lights. By definition, tinting, means to make darker. Thus, there is no way that they are better than stock or even red/clear. I am not sure if I would do this because, yeah, it looks cool, but the whole point of tail lights is to have visibility when braking.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Oblongshapes
nice, i like it... where did you get your niteshades... im trying to get rid of the horrible amber
www.summitracing.com i think it came out to $18 shipped...
Old 03-15-2004, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
looks good, man. I happen to like the little side marker light like the VW's and BMW's and other German makes have.

However, I hardly believe that the visibility is more now that you tinted your tail lights. By definition, tinting, means to make darker. Thus, there is no way that they are better than stock or even red/clear. I am not sure if I would do this because, yeah, it looks cool, but the whole point of tail lights is to have visibility when braking.
Well i meant the signals were more obvious now because the light was coming out from a dark lense as opposed to a white lense in the red clears..the brake lights/parking lights/signals/back ups still work fine..i think skiboarder and someone else posted pics of their lights. Friends have driven behind me and told me everything is good.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:20 PM

Well, I guess the contrast would be a littler greater. It looks cool, so it is good that you can still see your lights.

There just has to be a loss of some visibility(not just contrast) though. That is all I was saying. But really, if you can see the brake lights, what else do you need? I mean, it doesn't have to be overkill bright like LED's or anything.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
Well, I guess the contrast would be a littler greater. It looks cool, so it is good that you can still see your lights.

There just has to be a loss of some visibility(not just contrast) though. That is all I was saying. But really, if you can see the brake lights, what else do you need? I mean, it doesn't have to be overkill bright like LED's or anything.
Yeah I was worried about reduced light output...but you can tell by the pic with my lights on during the day that the output is fine. Those aren't even my brake lights...just my running lights.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:39 PM
In Maxima We Trust

very nice man ur max looks great with the smoked clears and sidemarker. i think i seen ur max before in glendale cuz our the only i seen with dual muffler for 4gen.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by max2max-98se
very nice man ur max looks great with the smoked clears and sidemarker. i think i seen ur max before in glendale cuz our the only i seen with dual muffler for 4gen.
haha probably...im at the galleria/marketplace kinda often..is that where you saw it? have any pics of your car? I'd love to see how bronze TE-37s look on a dark car..
Old 03-15-2004, 03:46 PM
Just the tip.

Nice job on the tails Luda...I think the only thing they need is a coat of some high gloss clear coat, and maybe tint the third brake light in the spoiler the same way. I did mine and it blends in perfectly with the black spoiler.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:48 PM

reverse light should be white....

be caution ~

tats another fix it ticket
Old 03-15-2004, 03:58 PM

Doesn't look good IMHO. Looks like the tails were sanded with 2 grit sandpaper.

LEMAR
Old 03-15-2004, 04:09 PM

i would of only painted the white part of it. Looks good otherwise.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:19 PM
formz

Definitely post some picture when more clear goes on because right now they're REALLY dull.

Old 03-15-2004, 04:34 PM

nice those tail lights look hot
Old 03-15-2004, 04:36 PM

Silvia- It lights up white...I doubt I will get pulled over for these. They aren't anywhere close to being blackouts. If they were completely blacked out tho there'd be a chance id get pulled over tho bc the law says you need the rear reflectors to be fully visible. But i should be fine (knocks on wood)

JncoRacer- I was thinking of doing that but I like having the 3rd brake light brighter than the rest so it's more obvious that I'm braking..just for the really blind ppl out there.

I'll definetly be getting some more layers of clearcoat on them sometime.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ludacris
www.summitracing.com i think it came out to $18 shipped...
Haha i beat you 13$ shipped from modern performance
Old 03-15-2004, 06:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That looks good, but extremly dark...how's the visibility during the day?
Old 03-15-2004, 06:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Interesting mod. Looks a bit dull but nice and unique. Nice to see more and more people trying different things other than the boring honda-like red/clears

Eric
Old 03-15-2004, 07:26 PM
V^___^V

looks good man

btw did you coat it inside or outside?
Old 03-15-2004, 07:44 PM

looks very nice.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:30 PM

ok...since DTM is tinting the clear part of the taillight, and Ludacris tinted the whole thing....how would it look if you did maybe 2 coats of nightshade on just the red and clear-coated the shiet out of it...think it would look nice? any good PS'ers?
Old 03-15-2004, 08:43 PM

thanks for the compliments guys

happyrice- cleaned the outside of the lense and just sprayed the niteshades on

99max5sp- they are definetly dull right now...it was night and I needed the car the next day so I just threw the lights back on with only a couple light coats of clearcoat Like you i was getting tired of the red-clears...didn't really like the DTM and I always liked how the RX7 tails looked so I just gave it a shot and am very happy.

MadChef- its dark when there is no direct lighting...but even then you can still make out the red-clear colors. Like I said earlier...friends have driven behind me and said the lighting is completely visible and obvious.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:03 PM
In Maxima We Trust

haha probably...im at the galleria/marketplace kinda often..is that where you saw it? have any pics of your car? I'd love to see how bronze TE-37s look on a dark car..
i saw ur ride around the tower record u where headin down on. i dont have any pics of my car cuz i dont have a digi cam so you have 2 come 2 socal meets we having one soon check the west forum. peace
Old 03-15-2004, 09:03 PM
V^___^V

hey guys...i found this great instruction on line and mind as well share with you guys. i think ludacris had similar approach, anywayZ here it is:

Originally Posted by bill wren
Taillight Blackout
Taillight blackout using VHT
Nightshades tint (link to the before and after pictures are at the end of the instructions):

1. Get the tint. Just about any auto parts store can get it for you. I had mine overnighted, but you can also order it through www.summitracing.com you'll
have to pay shipping and wait for it. It's VHT Nightshades (the hi-temp paint people), and judging by the smell of the stuff, it' ain't coming off with alcohol....
especially after clearcoating. The part number is VHT-SP999. It's a 7oz can, they don't carry the 11oz. Buy two just to make sure.

2. Remove all 4 pieces of your taillights. Each fixture has 3 nuts to be removed. Mark your lamp assemblies with tape if you're
not sure where they go. Remember, it'll be 4-6 hours before you put this back together.

3. Thoroughly clean each lens with rubbing alcohol and paper towels. Mask off everything except the lenses with masking tape and newspaper. If you have tinted windows on your car, or if you plan to, mask off your reverse light lenses. You won't want to sacrifice any of this light with dark windows. Use the blue or green painter's tape.

4. Lay all 4 pieces in a protected, masked-off area in a horizontal position. This spray is very thin and likes to run. Spray one LIGHT coat on each part. Let it dry for at least 5 minutes, and repeat. VHT recommends 3 coats. You want to do one coat at a time on all 4 pieces to keep the amount of tint uniform among all pieces. I did 4 coats to hide some blemishes and lens delamination. 3 wasn't quite enough to hide this.

5. Let the tint dry for a minimum of 3-4 hours after the last coat. If you don't like the matte finish, I suggest 2 coats of Krylon Acrylic Satin Clearcoat. It dries very fast. Apply these coats 5 minutes
apart, and let dry for 30 minutes after the last coat.

6. Remove all masking EXCEPT the reverse lenses. Before pulling the masking tape from the reverse lenses, carefully score the edge of the tape with a razor blade or small X-acto knife so the tape doesn't peel the tint. Now carefully remove the tape.

7. Re-install your lights in the car, and prepare to look cool.
credit: bill wren

import notes:
where to buy? http://www.summitracing.com
part #VHT-SP999
direct url >> http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=both&part=VHT
price: $11.99 for 7 oz + shipping
actual product:
Old 03-15-2004, 09:06 PM
V^___^V

thanks for the compliments guys

happyrice- cleaned the outside of the lense and just sprayed the niteshades on
hrmm...i mite do it on my altezzas and see how that turn out. although it's already carbon fibered, but hopefully it'll blend in with my exterior color better.

btw where did you get the nightshades? on line or local autoshop?
Old 03-15-2004, 09:10 PM
Give me a Bud Light Holmes

looks good but i rather red clears i like the stock look
Old 03-15-2004, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by happyricefob
hrmm...i mite do it on my altezzas and see how that turn out. although it's already carbon fibered, but hopefully it'll blend in with my exterior color better.

btw where did you get the nightshades? on line or local autoshop?
got them from summitracing.com

check out jncoracers car...he posted in here, he has smoked altezzas..they look nice
Old 03-15-2004, 09:27 PM
V^___^V

got them from summitracing.com

check out jncoracers car...he posted in here, he has smoked altezzas..they look nice

wow...they do look pretty nice thx
Old 03-15-2004, 09:33 PM

I'm not sure..but i dont think those are the smoked altezzas...i think they are on the last pg. But I've seen some on some dark colored hondas and they look much better.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

That silver lining around them is really an eyesore IMHO...

Ludacris - I know alot about the rushing deal with the car. This is my only car so it cant be down for any long period of time. I'd say when you get a chance, throw some more clear coat and take some new pics.

Also as strict as california is, have you gotten or do you think you will get hassled by inspections/cops? Im lucky in florida we dont have any of that, but i know in cali if you sneeze wrong your in trouble...

Eric
Old 03-15-2004, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by 99Maxima5sp
That silver lining around them is really an eyesore IMHO...

Ludacris - I know alot about the rushing deal with the car. This is my only car so it cant be down for any long period of time. I'd say when you get a chance, throw some more clear coat and take some new pics.

Also as strict as california is, have you gotten or do you think you will get hassled by inspections/cops? Im lucky in florida we dont have any of that, but i know in cali if you sneeze wrong your in trouble...

Eric
Cops/highway patrol haven't given me trouble yet, and ive had the tails tinted for 3 weeks now and I've had a lot of them driving behind me.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:07 AM
Master Will

man that looks sweet good job...
Old 03-16-2004, 06:06 AM
Just the tip.

OK, the silver trim was on there for like a week. It is an eyesore and looks worse in person. It was changed to black. They're not tinted with the Nightshades, they were taken apart and all the chrome reflective surfaces were changed from chrome to gloss black. Alas, I grew tired of these lights and threw my stock tails back on. I think I'm gonna try to tint those.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:51 PM
Just the tip.

OK, a few hours later and I tinted my altezza's. They pretty much look like Ludacris' tails except a little different. I'll post up pics tomorrow.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by JNCoRacer
OK, a few hours later and I tinted my altezza's. They pretty much look like Ludacris' tails except a little different. I'll post up pics tomorrow.
That was quick..should look

thanks for the compliment will
Old 03-17-2004, 12:51 AM