4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ppl who installed airhorns, help me out, please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2001, 12:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Okay, I got the Hella Triple Air Horns. And the instructions are pretty general.

Just a couple of questions if you please:

How would I wire it to my existing horn?

I know I could probably mount them in the left of the engine bay (where the washer fluid tank is) but how? The kit just came with the screws and bolts, but where can I bolt them to?

So, anything else or any other advice would be much appreciated.

And I got a 95.

Thanks.
Old 03-17-2001, 06:57 AM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

time for a trip to the hardward store

first, use Jeff K.'s wiring instructions

[url]http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megamax/horns.html[/url}

The compressor is mounted on a corner bracket..2.5 or 3." if I remember correctly... mount it under the closest screw that mounts the resevoir onto the side of the car. The horns are a mixture of staight brackets. One vertical with horizontal cross members to mount the horns on.... Assemble this first and mount on the stock horn mount on the side of the engine.. My site has two pics but they are small (under "Mod Pics") I'll look for the originals.

Brett
Old 03-17-2001, 09:50 AM

A dissenting opinion

Originally posted by Confused
first, use Jeff K.'s wiring instructions

[url]http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megamax/horns.html[/url}
I offer a dissenting opinion. Jeff's instructions say the relay is not necessary for the horns to work. That is true, but I recommend against this shortcut. If the air horn manufacturer includes a relay in the box, it is there for a reason. Install it.
Old 03-17-2001, 11:20 AM

I agree with Daniel B Martin

I did this install.. and i did install near the left side of the engine bay near the winshield washer fluid.. i didnt use the relay either... bad mistake.. i kept blowinf fuses... i fixed it by used a 20 amp instead of a 10 amp fuse...but u should use the relay.... i disconnected the wires fromt he existing horns and hooked then to my new horns.... i also unistalled the second horn near the winshield washer fluid and installed my compressor in that place.. it was a 20 minute install.. but i shoulda used the relay..... i will fix it later on.

i dunno about u guys by my tripple air horn sounds kinda girlie... i dunno is it cuz i didnt use a relay?? i thought my horn would have a little lower grunt.. but like i said it sounds alittle high pitched and girlie.. oh well... its still cool tho.. hehe its gets people attention even if the people look at me and laf at my horn.....
Old 03-17-2001, 03:45 PM

MaxedOut mine does sound similar to what u're describing, a bit too high pitch but nevertheless it's distinct enough to draw attention. One word about the relay, use it. The compressor draws more current than your exisiting horn. I know this because i didn't use it and blew the fuse but solved the problem by wiring in the relay. I also put in an extra inline fuse of 20amp to the line that goes from the battery to the relay to protect the compressor.
Old 03-18-2001, 10:17 AM
MaxRX7

as an electrical engineer the relay is not needed, BUT

in order to not blow the 7.5A fuse:
Put a thicker guage wire running from the fuse box to the OEM horns in place of the very thin wire.
Then you can disconnect the 2 OEM horns and connect the that with the compressor from the air horns.

I spliced the OEM horn connection and added the air horns to it. All I can say it's one bad mama jama. Went to try it out on the highway after the install and I WOKE up the people on the car in the next lane. Very fun.

Old 03-18-2001, 11:50 AM

Re: as an electrical engineer the relay is not needed, BUT

Originally posted by MaxRX7
in order to not blow the 7.5A fuse:
Put a thicker guage wire running from the fuse box to the OEM horns in place of the very thin wire.
Then you can disconnect the 2 OEM horns and connect the that with the compressor from the air horns.

I spliced the OEM horn connection and added the air horns to it. All I can say it's one bad mama jama. Went to try it out on the highway after the install and I WOKE up the people on the car in the next lane. Very fun.
I think your post is wrong. I humbly ask you to reread it and make corrections. If you stand by it as written I will explain your mistakes.