4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Only 3 kinds of rotors??????

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 07:03 PM

Only 3 kinds of rotors??????

There seems to be 3 kinds.

1. what the parts store has in stock - no name - $20 to $30 each. These must sell a lot cause allthe others are special order and most shops want it today. some counter men say they are great, some say stay away. who to believe?

2. the upgrade that the parts place lists but does not have instock (bendix, rabestos etc) $40 to $50 each

3.special order direct not from a parts store - stillen etc

which is best for a daily driver? that driven very easy
Old 03-17-2004, 07:17 PM

for a daily driver that you don't "beat on" I would go with the name brand rotors from the parts store (bendix,raybestos,ect) you will get a far better quality rotor than the cheap offshore ones they keep in stock.... the little extra you spend will be well worth the insurance that you won't be pulling the brakes apart again due to a crappy warped rotor...... later
Old 03-17-2004, 11:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Autozone's cheapest have been working great for me!
Old 03-18-2004, 07:23 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Z32 if the auto store carrys bendix as their higher priced line, then the cheap one's are believe it or not also bendix just reboxed under a different brand name. Same quailty though... I used to work at Action Auto in RI and when the bendix rep came in we were talking to him about it.. since they supply us both. But i didn't believe him, so i called bendix direct and ask the person straight out. They confirmed what he had said... Re-boxed and sold under a different name in order to get a larger marketshare.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:17 AM

I would recommend getting the $20 ones. I went to a store here in town called PartsPlus, and got those over a year ago, and they are wearing well. My max is a daily driver, and I have some EBC GreenStuff Pads on there. Those Rotors will be fine. (if you get those, they are only $5 more per rotor than re-surfacing them...ha ha.

I would, however, get some more aggressive brake pads. If you don't care about the dust, the EBC Greenstuff wear really well, and even. They have good stopping power, but dust a bit.(no more than OEM) They are kind of pricey, but I have had them on for a year, and I must say they are not worn like they should be. I still have about half more to go on these things.

A lot of orgers recommend to get the Raybestos QuietStop brake pads. They are the lowest dusting pads and the best stop for a daily driver that is not race driven that often. That might be a good bet for you to try too. I bet they will not last quite as long as the Greenstuff I was talking about, but you could try and see. I think the Raybestos Quietstop are about $45 or so, and the Greenstuff are like $65, If I remember right. Anyway, it is all up to what you want. If you want something you can put on there and get a long time of use out of them before you have to change them again, I would probably recommend the Greenstuff pads. If you want to just try out the Raybestos ones and see how they do, you should just go for that. I don't think you would be disappointed either way.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:19 PM

I'm hard on my brakes, every car I've owned for more than 6 months I've warped the rotors on. I know that I need to adjust my habits but its tough. I bought Raybestos blank rotors and quiet stop pads last spring/summer I think. Before the end of the year my rotors were warped.

At this point, I'm used to the pulsating (although sometimes it bothers me) but when my wife drives the car she yells at me to replace them. I have NO IDEA what to get. Slotted/drilled/blank? I've heard complaints about slotted and drilled but I need something that won't warp. What do I do? I thought I was getting a 'better' blank rotor but apparently not 'better' enough.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i am planning on getting Brembo blanks w/ Raybestos QS pads, my friend with GSR just got Brembo blanks w/ Greenstuff
Old 03-19-2004, 02:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MdMaxDrvr
I'm hard on my brakes, every car I've owned for more than 6 months I've warped the rotors on.

I have NO IDEA what to get. Slotted/drilled/blank? I've heard complaints about slotted and drilled but I need something that won't warp. What do I do? I thought I was getting a 'better' blank rotor but apparently not 'better' enough.
You must be really hard on your brakes. I'd stay away from drilled/slotted rotors...they have been known to crack.

If new rotors is an annual cost, you might consider getting the cheapies.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by sryth
You must be really hard on your brakes. I'd stay away from drilled/slotted rotors...they have been known to crack.

If new rotors is an annual cost, you might consider getting the cheapies.
I am hard on my brakes, but not what I would call really hard. I'm a late braker so I heat my brakes up quick, then the added pressure on the brakes warps them. I know its mostly on me but still, thats how I drive.

I really don't want to replace my rotors yearly, heck these went after only a few months. I'm leaning towards the drilled because they should dissapate the heat faster, I'm not as worried about the better bite. I've never have too much problem with that. The cracking, from what I have seen it doesn't seem to be a major problem, small cracks around the holes shouldn't pose a safety problem I don't think.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:10 PM

my rotors came in - advance auto

i compared them to the house brand. they were different - in color, finishing of edges and angles and the rotor surface finish. the bendix looked like from a lathe the house brand had criss cross finishing marks in it.
the house brand
1. had two small holes like the OE rotor threaded to put in a screw/bolt and push the rotor off the hub. bendix was lacking those holes . maybe bendix figures they won't rust onto the car. (maybe I got another cars rotors) will know tomorrow
2. house brand was double bagged - bendix was not tho cartons looked originally sealed but not air tite