4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.
View Poll Results: What Should I Do With Spare Cash?
Mod The Max! Go Baby Go!
68.63%
Screw That, Buy Beer!
0%
Half and Half, Small Mods, Smaller Kegs
31.37%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

For those who have $$$ in their Maximas, worth all the upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 07:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

For those who have $$$ in their Maximas, worth all the upgrades?

I'd like to hear from the guys who have put some serious cash into modifying their rides, more than the usual hacked air box. Those with mevi + ecu + full cai, full exhaust, suspension work, etc.

Is it worth the upgrades? If you could take it all back, think again, would you still do the same path? Anything you'd change? And finally, is it worth the cash for the upgrades, or would I be better off using spare cash to fund beer runs?
Old 03-17-2004, 08:38 PM
Conecarver

It's not just the $$ spent but what you learn while doing it. What works, what doesn't. Only regret is not doing some things the very best (read most expensive) possible way from the beginning and having to redo later. Thats just spending twice. Forget both the beer and mug when that happens.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:41 PM
V^___^V

IMO it depends on the mileage. if you are below 100k then go for it.

but if you're looking for a true auto-x/track cars, definetly not maxima. if you're looking for just basic bolt-ons for street application, definetly go for it.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:49 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

i have 108,000 and have FI dreams, i wouldnt not mod just bc ur near or over 100000
Old 03-17-2004, 08:53 PM
I need a truck

I have my $6000 stereo system. If I could do it differently. I wouldn't of bought the crappy HU and speakers that I did before my current setup, and then wouldn't been able to buy more mods. But what's done is done.

My 96 has a lot of time left (knock on wood) and the modding has only begun
Old 03-17-2004, 10:02 PM

nice nice, thanks for the feedback guys.

I already ordered a genuine K&N air filter for my hack air box (huge filter, 6" diamter), and I've got my finger all over the buy switch for a full exhuast, y-pipe on back, with a short throw shifter in there for good measure. I just hope I really notice the difference, as with my last car, 90 300ZX, which I had Injen CAI ($350), ASP UD Pulley ($130 w/ belts), Custom Exhaust ($600ish), and a really nice ACT clutch ($300 for part), and honestly it was not worth the cash. Granted the car had other problems so the mods weren't given best circumstances, but you get the picture. I'll probably end up modding it just b/c I can't stand that stupid looking exhaust spicket coming out the end of my car.

After intake/exhaust though, mevi+ecu sounds damn tempting, and that will be my next battle of beer vs car

As for learning on the way, thats basically why I bought my 300ZX, and pretty much took it apart and put it back together, (clutch, exhaust, timing belt<~ big b|tch, valve cover gaskets, 60K maint, changed all fluids a dozen times, alternator, battery, etc. etc. etc. you should have seen the autotrader add I put up lol) so I'm pretty well set in my knowledge base, though installing a mevi does sound entertaining (I read the write up).
Old 03-17-2004, 10:36 PM

I must say this is quite the million dollar question...

For my part, I have very much enjoyed modding the max and autocrossing it, and I think I definately made a great call when I bought one. If it wasnt for the Subary STi I would say I dont have any regrets.

...But when I think that I could basically have a 96 max w/y-pipe and maybe 1/4 of the Subaru paid for then I do wonder a bit. But as BeJay said, I have learned alot - both driving and technically (still alot left tho) and they say knowledge is priceless
Old 03-18-2004, 03:01 AM

i chose half and half cuz i have 156k miles on my car and I don't really wanna go all out nor stop modding it so... My next plans are to get a y-pipe and rims. Hopefully maintaining it and modding won't cost way too much.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Chickan
I'd like to hear from the guys who have put some serious cash into modifying their rides, more than the usual hacked air box. Those with mevi + ecu + full cai, full exhaust, suspension work, etc.

Is it worth the upgrades? If you could take it all back, think again, would you still do the same path? Anything you'd change? And finally, is it worth the cash for the upgrades, or would I be better off using spare cash to fund beer runs?

it can be a real pain in the a$$ sometimes, with all the troubleshooting
when things go wrong. but i would do it over and over again, its
like being on drugs you just cant quit. i must have spent a fortune
but the trick is to stop counting and keep moving.
http://members.cardomain.com/whoamax
Old 03-18-2004, 08:27 AM
Boosted Panda

I Think its all up to the owner. You must make a descion as to wether you plan on keeping the car 4 ever or just for a while. If its not a permanent choice, just do the few basic boltons, exhaust,intake,....
If its a permanent choice, go all out. Who cares if you have a lot of miles.
You can always swap or rebulid the engine when needed to. You will still have all the mods previously purchased.
If its a temp. ride, you will never get out what you put in to it money wise.
When you consider the actual cost of mods, plus time invested.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:33 AM

modd it all the way!!!!
I love evey single mod I had and think they where worth the money.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:27 AM
living out of a maxima...

my only regret is not having more money to spend.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:42 AM

If u are in love with the game of mods...do it! there is no what ifs, this and that and mileage. heck if u are that concern just slap some wheels and the basic intake exhaust and wheels u are all set to go. then just sit back and have a heiny.( not behind the wheel. anything else would just be civilized.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:50 AM

Yeaps... I agree with BEJAY... I voted for hell yea, mod on... but the thing is, when you are modding, make sure you learn what the mod does, and how it works. I think thats half the fun, coming out of each mod with some more intimate knowledge of how the mod is good/bad for your car. MIleage is no concern... if you are are going to be doing something serious to it (FI), then just learn how to do some of your own work and rebuild the engine good luck
Old 03-18-2004, 12:29 PM

I say go for it. I have just begun on my 96 GLE, I have a Frankencar Intake, Clear corners, FSTB, and Motegi Rims, and that is just the tip of the iceberg. And like everyone else has already said, you can always rebuild the engine. I had been searching on Ebay for parts and they have lots of vq30de engines for $350 to $400 and transmissions for $850. That is a lot cheaper than the engines and tranny's on my Old Camaro. The biggest thing is, shop around a lot! Don't compromise on brand or quality but if you see a price on a part on a major website, you can probably find it cheaper somewhere else (like Group Deals).
Old 03-18-2004, 02:11 PM

I agree with flavor if your only keeping it temporarily then leave it stock but if you plan on keeping for a long time then mod like you've never modded before. It's so much nicer driving and owning a car that you can't keep your eyes off.
(but always look at the road and not your car reflection in another car)
Old 03-18-2004, 04:51 PM

Mod that B1TCH out! I just put 4 grand into my car with half and half for performance upgrades and the other for maintenance. But it's good for a long while. Did clutch/flywheel/exhaust/axles/etc...
Old 03-18-2004, 04:59 PM
Lightly modded

Well, lets see. I bought my car for $6,300 last year, and so far I've put about $6,000 worth of mods into it, plus at least $4,000 into repairs/maintainance (damn tranny). For me, every time I drive my car it makes the mods more worth it. Since you have a 95 5 speed, you have a very good platform to make a fast 4th gen. One way I justify all this spending is to think that if the money wasn't in the car it would be in my system in the form of drugs. At least I have something to show for all my work.

Mod the *** out of your car.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:11 PM

I want to say half and half but then you would only have half the money to show for what you bought. But i will have to agree on BEJAY's comment on knowledge of the car. The more you work on the car and different mods that you put on your car, the more you will learn about the different parts and how they are all connected. Knowledge is power.

However, if i would do it all over again...i wouldn't of gotten 19s. When i go to the track, i will have to change them out each time with my stockies. I would say that one needs to choose which is more important: SHOW or GO.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
Mod the *** out of your car.
I like it

So far I have purchased:
K&N air filter (big old one, 6"x5"x3") - $40
FSTB - $30 Ebay cheapie, more of looks than functional
Euro Style Clear Corners - $40
6 Disc In Dash CD Changer - $200
Red Vinyl to red out my stupid orange rear lights - $10ish
Avital 2200 Car Alarm - $70 (purchased about a year ago, never installed)
Car Alarm Install Guide - $5
Haynes Manual - $15
Parts List - $7
Variable Delay Wiper Switch - $26
Knock Sensor - $90

My next batch of upgrades will include:
Budget Y-Pipe - $200ish
Custom B pipe - $?
High Flow Cat - $100+
Muffler (undecided) - $50-150
Pacesetting Short Throw Shifter - $70ish

And I really should get an RSB (cornerning sucks coming from my Z) and probably should lower it a bit too....
Old 03-18-2004, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by takentomax
I want to say half and half but then you would only have half the money to show for what you bought. But i will have to agree on BEJAY's comment on knowledge of the car. The more you work on the car and different mods that you put on your car, the more you will learn about the different parts and how they are all connected. Knowledge is power.

However, if i would do it all over again...i wouldn't of gotten 19s. When i go to the track, i will have to change them out each time with my stockies. I would say that one needs to choose which is more important: SHOW or GO.

I Choose GO - Screw Show! "If it doesn't make it go faster, WE DON'T CARE!" - My favorite tagline of any performance shop.
Only show mods are to get rid of annoying nastiness (that orange really really needs to go)
And some possibly half and half Show vs Go like lowering the car.