4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Oil Leak, Daniel P. Martin..you out there?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2001, 01:30 PM

Changed my oil the other day and noticed that there was oil on my right front suspension. I think that I can rule out and leakage around the oil filter (looked pretty clean) and around the drain plug. HOWEVER, looks like the oil pressure sending unit (left of oil drain plug) was covered in oil. I haven't noticed an appreciable amount of oil that I'm losing (checking the dipstick) but would like to clean this up. Anybody else having/had this problem? What's the fix? Just tighten it up? New gasket? I'm at a loss. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Daniel P....I too have noticed that you've gone from "stock" to a mod . So the bug has bitten you Good. I've got a StreetBeat FSTB on order along with a torque wrench from US Freight. Saw that someone else had ordered one and it looked like 1) a good price and 2) a good thing to have (think installation of FSTB). Clear corners, BV H3s, RSB are all on my list. Thanks for the tip on where the transmission drain plug was (97 SE 5 spd), I'm glad I wasn't unscrewing things and having springs fall out.
Old 03-17-2001, 01:53 PM

Oil leak, Torque wrench

Originally posted by zagato27
Changed my oil the other day and noticed that there was oil on my right front suspension. I think that I can rule out and leakage around the oil filter (looked pretty clean) and around the drain plug. HOWEVER, looks like the oil pressure sending unit (left of oil drain plug) was covered in oil. I haven't noticed an appreciable amount of oil that I'm losing (checking the dipstick) but would like to clean this up. Anybody else having/had this problem? What's the fix? Just tighten it up? New gasket? I'm at a loss. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. ...
Tighten it gently. If it screws in easily that may end the leak. If it isn't loose it is probably leaking and you have to replace it. It screws in and out like a household light bulb; there is no gasket.

Look closely at the color of the leaked oil. There's a chance it is power steering fluid. Engine oil looks brown or black. Power steering fluid is ATF which is ruby red.

... a torque wrench from US Freight. Saw that someone else had ordered one and it looked like 1) a good price and 2) a good thing to have ...
I have several torque wrenches including one from Harbor Freight. It is Made in China but for my purposes it is excellent. Harbor Freight puts this item on 50% off sale from time to time. If you catch it on sale, it costs only $10 plus S/H. At that price you can't afford to be without one! I recommend using the torque wrench for tightening wheel lug nuts.
Old 03-17-2001, 02:02 PM

Re: Oil leak, Torque wrench

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Tighten it gently. If it screws in easily that may end the leak. If it isn't loose it is probably leaking and you have to replace it. It screws in and out like a household light bulb; there is no gasket.

Look closely at the color of the leaked oil. There's a chance it is power steering fluid. Engine oil looks brown or black. Power steering fluid is ATF which is ruby red.

I have several torque wrenches including one from Harbor Freight. It is Made in China but for my purposes it is excellent. Harbor Freight puts this item on 50% off sale from time to time. If you catch it on sale, it costs only $10 plus S/H. At that price you can't afford to be without one! I recommend using the torque wrench for tightening wheel lug nuts.
Daniel "B" Martin,
Thanks. Yes, the oil is black so pretty sure that it is from the sending unit. OK, screw in. I'll try and hand tighten it. Torque wrench, originally ordered one from Harbor Freight ~$19 and shipping and handling and freight bumped it up to $28. The one I did buy is from US Freight. Comes with a 1/2" to 3/8"s conversion and a 5" extension for $31 total. Thought that this was the way to go. We'll see when it gets here.
BTW, what's wrong with FRAM oil filters? I'm using Purolator Pure One right now but have used the Fram's in the past. Also I'm using Bosch Plat +4s. They were cheaper than OEM and I feel just as good. If you can't trust Bosch who can you trust They made some pretty good parts for my 72 BMW 3.0CSI
Old 03-17-2001, 02:42 PM

Fram oil filters

... BTW, what's wrong with FRAM oil filters? ...
All of the following is from memory and some details may be wrong, but the story is true.

About two years ago Russell W. Knize did a comparison of oil filters. He bought one filter of every brand he could find and carefully cut them open to examine the internals. He measured the area of the filter media and made observations of the construction. He discovered which brands were really the same item except for the color of the paint and the brand name. Knize funded this study out of his own pocket and posted the results on a Web page.

Knize examined filters for the 5 liter Ford V8 engine. His findings may or may not apply to the filters we Maxima owners would use. Knize did not evaluate actual filtering properties because he did not have access to sophisticated laboratory equipment. He reported on physical characteristics and his opinion of manufacturing quality.

Knize found Fram filters to be distinctly inferior to all others. He received a letter from a former Fram engineer who confirmed Knize's opinion with "insider" information and said that Fram management had dictated design changes to reduce manufacturing cost at the expense of product quality. Knize posted this letter on the Web.

Fram lawyers sent a letter to Knize, threatening all sorts of legal trouble. Knize posted this letter on the Web.

Some time later, all of Knize's pages dealing with oil filters vanished. I presume he knuckled under to Fram's sabre rattling.
Old 03-17-2001, 04:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

zagato27, how many miles are on your Maxima? I just replaced my oil sending unit last week. There were only a few drops on the wire (not much leakage), but I had it replaced anyway. I wonder if this is gonna be a common problem.
Old 03-17-2001, 08:21 PM

Miles

Originally posted by Micah95GLE
zagato27, how many miles are on your Maxima? I just replaced my oil sending unit last week. There were only a few drops on the wire (not much leakage), but I had it replaced anyway. I wonder if this is gonna be a common problem.
Bought the car a little over a year ago with 49K. I just turned 68K. How much do the sending units cost???
Old 03-17-2001, 08:37 PM

i have the same problem..

i know its oil..and its not from the oil filter..cuz i just replaced it with a oem one.

im not losing any considerable amounts either. i checked my oil a couple times and the level is always normal. and ive never had to add some.

its wierd..it doesnt worry me much...but i'll like to fix it someday....

btw..

95max gxe 123,000
Old 03-17-2001, 09:48 PM

The part cost me a whopping $10.41. Not a bad repair to have to deal with.
Old 03-17-2001, 11:18 PM

did u repair it urself?

how was it?...
Old 03-18-2001, 01:59 AM

No, I actually had my ace mechanic pop it in while I was in there. It looks like it just unscrews and screws back in. He said that there is no oil loss in the procedure because the fitting is on top of the line.
Old 03-18-2001, 07:38 AM

Sounds to me like..

Changed my oil the other day and noticed that there was oil on my right front
you have a torn cv boot. The grease would be all over the place and is a chore to clean up. Does it happen to be on your rims also? If the answers are yes, have the boot replaced ASAP before you start hearing noises from that joint and end up buying a new half shaft. Just turn the wheel all the way to the right and check ALL AROUND the boot for cracks. Good luck!
Old 03-18-2001, 09:12 AM

Re: Sounds to me like..

Originally posted by dch95

you have a torn cv boot. The grease would be all over the place and is a chore to clean up. Does it happen to be on your rims also? If the answers are yes, have the boot replaced ASAP before you start hearing noises from that joint and end up buying a new half shaft. Just turn the wheel all the way to the right and check ALL AROUND the boot for cracks. Good luck!
David,
Pretty sure the leak is coming from the sending unit. It's oil that drips from the electricla line to the sending unit. No grease on the rims. Will check the CV boot though. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-18-2001, 10:16 AM

Re: Re: Sounds to me like..

David,
Pretty sure the leak is coming from the sending unit. It's oil that drips from the electricla line to the sending unit. No grease on the rims. Will check the CV boot though. Thanks for the tip.
Sure hope I,m wrong. Laterz.
Old 03-18-2001, 12:19 PM

I have a link to this site that reviews oil filters. I'm not too sure if its written by the same guy Daniel mentioned but it does include a letter from an ex-Fram engineer.

http://members.nbci.com/minimopar/oilfilterstudy.html
Old 03-18-2001, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by Jason96GLE
I have a link to this site that reviews oil filters. I'm not too sure if its written by the same guy Daniel mentioned but it does include a letter from an ex-Fram engineer.

Thanks for the link. It is an updated version of the one I read years ago. It contains a link to a related page http://members.nbci.com/minimopar/oi...study-faq.html
which mentions that the page had been off the Web for a while.
Old 03-18-2001, 03:50 PM

torque wrench purchase

Hey Dan, I too am looking for a fairly cheap (price-wise) torque wrench...the one that you recommened--can that be ordered over the internet? Would you be able to provide me with the info?
I really appreciate it--and thank you.

Brian

Thanks for the link. It is an updated version of the one I read years ago. It contains a link to a related page http://members.nbci.com/minimopar/oi...study-faq.html
which mentions that the page had been off the Web for a while.
Old 03-18-2001, 05:34 PM

Re: torque wrench purchase

Originally posted by humaras
Hey Dan, I too am looking for a fairly cheap (price-wise) torque wrench...the one that you recommened--can that be ordered over the internet? Would you be able to provide me with the info?

Brian

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/taf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=239

This is the one I mentioned in a previous post. It is $20 plus s/h. Harbor Freight sometimes puts this item on sale for $10 plus s/h. That's what I paid. Note: Harbor Freight does not charge any shipping for orders over $50, but there is a $4.95 charge for "processing and handling" on every order regardless of amount.

Purists might ridicule this Chinese-made wrench as inferior to a similar US-made item. I regard it as completely satisfactory for automotive repair work.
Old 03-18-2001, 05:52 PM

OEM Oil Filter

Would OEM be superior to all other manufactured filters. I guess my question is, what would be the best oil filter if money was no object? Thanks.
Old 03-18-2001, 06:12 PM

Oil Filters

Originally posted by max808
Would OEM be superior to all other manufactured filters. I guess my question is, what would be the best oil filter if money was no object? Thanks.
You are likely to get a slew of opinions without much supporting evidence.

An oil filter is a "blind item" because the user cannot judge the condition or quality by sight, sound, smell, taste, or touch. When buying a blind item we make purchase decisions based on "image" factors such as the influence of advertising and brand loyalties. Choosing a good filter is further complicated by the fact that the same product may be sold under several brand names. Filter brands A, B, and C may be identical except for the brand name and exterior color. The supplier for filter brand D might be the same as brand A for this year, but be changed to brand B next year. Industry insiders will know about this but most consumers will not.

I personally do not believe in the inherent superiority of the factory part but respect the opinion of those who do. My own bias is
- avoid Fram filters
- avoid filters which contain powdered Teflon
Old 03-18-2001, 06:29 PM

Double your pleasure, double your fun!

Originally posted by max808
... I guess my question is, what would be the best oil filter if money was no object? Thanks.
If money were no object? That gives a wide latitude for imagination. My answer is two filters. Install a Remote Oil Filter Mount. At some convenient location install two oil filters. That gives you twice as much filter media area.
See
http://perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page27.html
http://perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page30.html
http://perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page31.html
http://user.mc.net/~murphyn/amsoil/amsoil.html
Old 03-19-2001, 06:53 AM
B.C.

what size for sending unit

Daniel or others:

My sending unit is leaking too. Can I use a standard oil sending unit socket or is it a special deep socket size.

Thanks

Old 03-19-2001, 07:32 AM

Re: torque wrench purchase

Originally posted by humaras

Brian

Brian,
I looked at the torque wrenches from Harbor freight. The one I was going to buy was 10-150 lbs, adjustable in 1 lb increments for $19. Add shipping and handling and it came to $28. In an earlier column a guy mention US Freight tools. http://www.etoolsonline.com/main.htm. I found a very similar torque wrench (10-150 lbs, click adjustable, various standards AND it came with a 5" extension AND a 1/2" to 3/8" socket, along with the plastic case) Total to include shipping and handling was $31. I went with the US Freight. Hasn't come in yet but think it was best for me. Looked at Sears too, but just too expensive. They had a bar type cheaper but didn't want that type. The Harbor Freight was cheaper but don't know if it came with the extension or the conversion socket. As my tools are 3/8s I thought this was the way to go. If/when I get the wrench in I'll post.
Old 03-19-2001, 08:06 AM

Re: what size for sending unit

Originally posted by B.C.
Daniel or others:

My sending unit is leaking too. Can I use a standard oil sending unit socket or is it a special deep socket size.

Thanks
You may use a standard oil sending unit socket such as Blackhawk #30634S. You may also use an ordinary 12-point 1-inch deep socket such as Craftsman #47531.
Old 03-19-2001, 08:09 AM

found this oil pressure sending unit in the "Parts for Sale" forum, thought it might help.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=27613
Old 03-19-2001, 08:45 AM

thanks

guys for the info on the torque wrenches...definetely will purchase one to have around
Old 03-19-2001, 02:06 PM

Re: Oil Filters

My own bias is
- avoid Fram filters
- avoid filters which contain powdered Teflon
What,s wrong with Fram? Like to hear your opinion on this one. TYIA. David.
Old 03-19-2001, 03:26 PM

Fram oil filters

Originally posted by dch95
What,s wrong with Fram? Like to hear your opinion on this one. TYIA. David.
My opinion is based on the findings of Russell W. Knize.
See:

http://members.nbci.com/minimopar/o...rstudy-faq.html

http://members.nbci.com/minimopar/oilfilter-fram1.txt