4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Installed my 95 indiglo gauges

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2001, 08:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Now... this isn't a b***h and moan about how sucky they are. I really wanted to love them. I read about all the problem that people were having and I took the install slow.

This is more like a disappointed sigh. I like them. I'm one of the elite few in the New York area that has indiglos gauges for the Maxima.

But... like everyone said, the needles get stuck. I used double sided scotch tape. They lay flat against the stock gauges. That isn't the problem.

The problem is that the stock gauges themselves are not all the way down due to the fact that the screws were taken out.

A serious design flaw.

Another design flaw is that the hole for the needle is way too small for the speedo and the tachometer. The hole for the gas and the temp is actually a lot easier to install.

The needles on the speedo and the tach have this extra little piece that sticks out. And that makes pulling the gauges over the needle tough. Even when I took it slow and careful, I still had to "force" the gauge over the little bit on the needle and therefore, warped the gauges a little. That little warp, while not much, is combined with the fact that the stock gauges are popping up a little and therefore, the needles get stuck.

My speedo doesn't go over 62 mph and my tach doesn't go over 1300 rpm.

Gas and temp gauges were fine.

The look good. I feel cool. Hehehe... but I'm a little disappointed. I understand that they are the first generation and that Cheston has talked to Initial K about doing a little bit more work on the 95-96 guages.

So... conclusion: Looks cool, needles get stuck - even when install is carefully and meticulously done.

I'm going to take the guages apart tomorrow again and see if I can figure out a way to get the stock gauges to stay down.
Old 03-17-2001, 09:01 PM
CustomMax

Originally posted by clee130
Now... this isn't a b***h and moan about how sucky they are. I really wanted to love them. I read about all the problem that people were having and I took the install slow.

This is more like a disappointed sigh. I like them. I'm one of the elite few in the New York area that has indiglos gauges for the Maxima.

But... like everyone said, the needles get stuck. I used double sided scotch tape. They lay flat against the stock gauges. That isn't the problem.

The problem is that the stock gauges themselves are not all the way down due to the fact that the screws were taken out.

A serious design flaw.

Another design flaw is that the hole for the needle is way too small for the speedo and the tachometer. The hole for the gas and the temp is actually a lot easier to install.

The needles on the speedo and the tach have this extra little piece that sticks out. And that makes pulling the gauges over the needle tough. Even when I took it slow and careful, I still had to "force" the gauge over the little bit on the needle and therefore, warped the gauges a little. That little warp, while not much, is combined with the fact that the stock gauges are popping up a little and therefore, the needles get stuck.

My speedo doesn't go over 62 mph and my tach doesn't go over 1300 rpm.

Gas and temp gauges were fine.

The look good. I feel cool. Hehehe... but I'm a little disappointed. I understand that they are the first generation and that Cheston has talked to Initial K about doing a little bit more work on the 95-96 guages.

So... conclusion: Looks cool, needles get stuck - even when install is carefully and meticulously done.

I'm going to take the guages apart tomorrow again and see if I can figure out a way to get the stock gauges to stay down.
Do you have any pics?

Old 03-17-2001, 09:07 PM

I should have pics up by tomorrow night.
Old 03-17-2001, 10:54 PM

Even though my indiglo gauges have many obvious flaws, I still think they're pretty cool...I've turned many more heads with them so I'm happy
Old 03-18-2001, 01:42 AM
Finally, A New Status Title...How About Donating Maxima.org Member...Oh wait...NO!!!

my gauges

are a little messed up too, but i fiddled with it and now i got them to not stick. i opened them up again and secured teh stock guages with tape. it helps but how long can that fix last? goodluck..
Old 03-18-2001, 06:16 AM
nismo96max

Wouldn't it help a lot to take the stock gauges off, I mean, who cares about them. I have played with my gauges a lot, not a biggie to take them off and adjust needles.

Old 03-18-2001, 06:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I too, had a problem initially with my speedometer. It was getting stuck and not working. I thought the problem was the stock gauge and the fact that i had the import intelligence white overlays over the stock gauges. So I took apart my dash, all ready to take off the stock needles when I noticed i never took the screws off the speedometer. it wasn't getting stuck anymore so i didn't need to take off my stockers, but i was all ready to!

Now here are a few suggestions:
Don't use double sided tape. It only makes everything a lot thicker. Instead, use a hot glue gun. If you don't have one, get one, they're pretty cheap. You can just hot glue the corners of the gauges (the extra peices you don't see) to the stock gauges and you can also hot glue the stock gauges to the cluster so they stay put even without screws. This works great without adding the thickness of tape, and since it's hot glue, it can easily come off if you decide to take the gauges off (you'll never want to change out these gauges again, they just look toooooo hot).

About slipping the gauges over the needles, you have to slip the needle through the gauge, and then stick the gauge under the round base of the needle, all the way to the pin, that way it can give you a little extra room to slip it over the bulge of the needle without warping the gauge. you still need to exert a little pressure, but it'll work fine.

good luck!
Old 03-18-2001, 08:25 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

I dont know exactly how the Indiglos work but...could you cut or drill holes in them so you could re-install the little screws? That would hold the whole assembly together just fine I would think.
Old 03-18-2001, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by CKNY
I too, had a problem initially with my speedometer. It was getting stuck and not working. I thought the problem was the stock gauge and the fact that i had the import intelligence white overlays over the stock gauges. So I took apart my dash, all ready to take off the stock needles when I noticed i never took the screws off the speedometer. it wasn't getting stuck anymore so i didn't need to take off my stockers, but i was all ready to!

Now here are a few suggestions:
Don't use double sided tape. It only makes everything a lot thicker. Instead, use a hot glue gun. If you don't have one, get one, they're pretty cheap. You can just hot glue the corners of the gauges (the extra peices you don't see) to the stock gauges and you can also hot glue the stock gauges to the cluster so they stay put even without screws. This works great without adding the thickness of tape, and since it's hot glue, it can easily come off if you decide to take the gauges off (you'll never want to change out these gauges again, they just look toooooo hot).

About slipping the gauges over the needles, you have to slip the needle through the gauge, and then stick the gauge under the round base of the needle, all the way to the pin, that way it can give you a little extra room to slip it over the bulge of the needle without warping the gauge. you still need to exert a little pressure, but it'll work fine.

good luck!
Wouldn't hot glue warp the gauges a bit?
Old 03-18-2001, 03:25 PM

I didn't re-adjust them today because I was at a mini-meet.

But... I was thinking about taking off the stock gauges, but I'm too afraid I'm going to mess up with the needles and then I'm majorly screwed.

I tried taping the stock gauges down yesterday, it didn't work.

I'm waiting until tomorrow, when there's more sunlight and it's less cold to do my gauges again.

I do have one question though: The gauges won't get messed up if the needle can't go past a certain point, will it? The needle gets stuck at 62 mph. And I drive over 62 mph for a good distance sometimes. Will the guages eventually get messed up because of that? And the rpms don't go over 1.5, and obviously, the rpms are higher than that when I'm driving.
Old 03-18-2001, 03:37 PM
Finally, A New Status Title...How About Donating Maxima.org Member...Oh wait...NO!!!

the gluegun

sounds good, but i would be afraid to warp teh gauges. i'll try using heavy duty craft glue, that should work fine without the heat.. thanks for the idea.

mzmtg you can't drill into them, it'll damage the gauges where the holes were drilled. i wonder how that was overlooked by inital k in the first place?
Old 03-18-2001, 07:12 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

you DO know that double sided tape comes in a variety of sizes RIGHT. and that you'd use your common sense not to put the 3m POSTER aka thick double sided tape. .RIiightt?

3m also makes the brand SCOTCH tape... so..

Old 03-18-2001, 07:18 PM

who, me?

ofcourse i do...i personally used the 3m double sided tape that looks like scotch tape, but i may try glueing down the edges for a permanent fix. tape warps after a while
Old 03-18-2001, 07:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

well the hot glue won't warp the gauges if you use it on the clear edges )not any part of the gauge, just the very tip of the edges that don't show. do it! lol
Old 03-18-2001, 07:59 PM

Hey...

No one answered my question about if the gauges/needles will mess up if the needles are stuck and I go above what it says.

I'm just paranoid about the guages will mess up and then I have to go replace the gauge cluster. That would suck.
Old 03-18-2001, 08:14 PM

sorry clee

if i knew i would tell you. all i can say is try to fix it quick because the fix can be done. i can't see it doing real damage but like i said i don't know
Old 03-19-2001, 07:09 AM
SMX

I used the glue gun on the edges of the meter, it work out fine. Therefore, I removed the tape and there has not been a problem. Note: be very careful I also brought one for my wife Civic…theses where nice just like the stock one but in white… looks really good. The Tech and MPH meter was fine but when I install the gas gauge, the Damm needle broke. The hole was too small to pass thought. That really pissed me OFF!
Old 03-19-2001, 08:14 AM
ajaffee

Wiring question

Originally posted by SMX
I used the glue gun on the edges of the meter, it work out fine. Therefore, I removed the tape and there has not been a problem. Note: be very careful I also brought one for my wife Civic…theses where nice just like the stock one but in white… looks really good. The Tech and MPH meter was fine but when I install the gas gauge, the Damm needle broke. The hole was too small to pass thought. That really pissed me OFF!
Did all of you hook the power wire from the box into the wire that turns on and off the light on the dimmer switch, as Cheston suggests?

Old 03-19-2001, 08:21 AM
flipper

Sure did...

Originally posted by ajaffee

Did all of you hook the power wire from the box into the wire that turns on and off the light on the dimmer switch, as Cheston suggests?
Yup, I ignored what the instructions with the kit said to do and just followed Cheston's instructions. I used the wire that was connected to my dimmer switch. Cheston's instructions applied to his Max (97 I think) and I have a 95 but I found that the wires were the same (blue).

Old 03-19-2001, 08:23 AM
ajaffee

Thanks. I'll finish the install tonight then.

Old 03-19-2001, 09:30 AM

WooHoo!

After an hour and a half... I finally got the speedo to work right... at least I think I did... it got stuck at 62 mph, so can't really test it out now.... but it seems to be working... IhopeIhopeIhopeIhopeIhope!

Now... to work on the tachometer....
Old 03-19-2001, 09:39 AM

Indiglo pics?

Anybody got pics of these indiglo gauges, or know where some are? I've never seen these before on a Max, curious to know what they look like.
Old 03-19-2001, 09:49 AM

Re: Indiglo pics?

http://www.seas.ucla.edu/%7Echeston/...Gauge/done.jpg

That's the pic.

And also:

http://www.moneyzipper.com/el/nissan_maxima_9597.htm
http://www.moneyzipper.com/el/nissan_maxima_9899.htm

Originally posted by NisMax95
Anybody got pics of these indiglo gauges, or know where some are? I've never seen these before on a Max, curious to know what they look like.
Old 03-19-2001, 12:19 PM

Re: Re: Indiglo pics?

That cools cool! Wonder what I'd have to do to talk the hubby into buying me a set of those....
Old 03-19-2001, 12:23 PM
SMX

Re: Re: Re: Indiglo pics?

Originally posted by NisMax95

That cools cool! Wonder what I'd have to do to talk the hubby into buying me a set of those....
Old 03-19-2001, 01:06 PM
kest

sticky needles on indiglow

I had the same problem with my indiglow gauges. I did a search on this forum and found a post on how to take the needles off. As is turns out, the needle gets stuck because there is not enough clearance between the bottom of the needle and the indiglow overlay. I started to take off the needle and I notice that As I turned the needle counter clockwise and pulled up at the same time, the needle stays raised. This fixed that whole problem and now my needles never get stuck. As for the looks, I have to say I am a little disappointed. They don't look as cool as the ones on Lexus GS430. By the way, What colors do the digital gauges come in? I ordered digital gauges but I think they sent me analog gauges. Hope this helps,

Kest

Old 03-19-2001, 01:11 PM

*sigh*

I got the speedo and the tach to work right. Now my gas gauge doesn't read properly. I just went to get a full tank of gas and it shows about 90%.

I fixed the tach problem by removing the stock gauge. And the hole of the needle rest was too big for the needle rest, so the I couldn't find a way to put the needle rest back so the needle drops to way below 0 when the car is off. But when the car is on, it reads the tach correctly.

My goodness, you need like the patience of a Tibetan monk and the ingenuity of Leonardo DiVinci to get these indiglos to work right. But hey... at least they look sorta cool.
Old 03-19-2001, 01:28 PM
SMX

Re: *sigh*

Originally posted by clee130
I got the speedo and the tach to work right. Now my gas gauge doesn't read properly. I just went to get a full tank of gas and it shows about 90%.

I fixed the tach problem by removing the stock gauge. And the hole of the needle rest was too big for the needle rest, so the I couldn't find a way to put the needle rest back so the needle drops to way below 0 when the car is off. But when the car is on, it reads the tach correctly.

My goodness, you need like the patience of a Tibetan monk and the ingenuity of Leonardo DiVinci to get these indiglos to work right. But hey... at least they look sorta cool.
I broke the needle for the fuel gauge on my wife civic so be careful!
Old 03-19-2001, 03:02 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Indiglo pics?

Originally posted by SMX
:shrug: Well, he's always said he liked the white-faced gauges in the SE. And when I told him Chrysler was going to put ELs in the LHS and some of their other cars (insider information at the time - I helped make some of 'em)...he thought it was a cool idea. Never saw them for the Max before, but now that they're available... ya never know.

And heck... I got new wheels, didn't I?