4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

removing power antennae mast --- HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 10:06 AM

removing power antennae mast --- HELP!

any help here???

I've removed what I can, but, can't seem to get the mast out (I'm only
changing the mast)...any tips? I'm stumped...

THANKS!!!
FLO_BOY
Old 03-20-2004, 11:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm not sure what you've done so far but I'll get you as far as I can.
Pull back the trunk liner on that side. If you look/feel inside the fender-well you can find the motor assembly and then tell which of the bolts to remove (there are 2 right next to each other). You may also want to undo part of the jack holder and swing it out of the way. Now to get the mast unattached from the car you need to remove the ring that goes around the antenna (the thing with 2 little holes in it). I used vice grips with cloth between them and the ring, but they still left little knicks in the ring. Once this is removed you can just pull the assembly down into the fender-well and out enough to get at the wires. The wires attached to the motor need to be squeezed and pulled and the one attached to the antenna just needs to be pulled. I don't know how to get the antenna unattached from the motor, I need to wait until I get my new antenna.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:22 AM

If you're just trying to remove the mast, it should slide out pretty easily. Just make sure you have the trim ring (on the outside of the fender) off, and turn on the radio - so the mast tries to extend. You should be able to then feed the mast out. If it still sticks, part of the nylon cord is probably broken-off inside the motor. Then remove the interior trunk panel to remove the whole assembly (as in the post above). Then you can take apart the motor assembly and remove the broken pieces.
Old 03-21-2004, 02:28 PM

I had the same problem....I had to pull the entire unit out....with all the salt and snow, the lower portion of the antenna mast had rusted together with the tube the mast slides out of. I basically had to take the unit apart, use a flathead screwdriver, and pliers and with some patience broke off a little pieces of the lower portion until I had it all removed. Also, you should pull out the unit to make sure that pieces of the antenna cable haven't broken off and are left sitting in the gears.