4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

just got dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 10:34 AM

just got dual exhaust

Just got a dual exhaust setup put on from a muffler shop and I have some questions. On the highways now, the rpm's are at 4,000. Why is this like this? Also, one of the tips spits out some water. Is this bad?
Old 03-20-2004, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by sk24iam
Just got a dual exhaust setup put on from a muffler shop and I have some questions. On the highways now, the rpm's are at 4,000. Why is this like this? Also, one of the tips spits out some water. Is this bad?

Your Rpms shouldn't be affected in no way by the setup, but I wouldn't worry about the water, mine does the same also.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:48 AM

First of all, don't beleive the hype!
I can report first hand that your RPM's can infact change for a specific MPH. Maybe not just with an exhaust mod. But Most anybody who has put an intake on there car will notice a change. (example) with stock intake at 60mph your RPM's may have usually been at 2,300rpm's or so. But once you replaced you intake you probably noticed that @ the same speed (60mph) you are now cruising @ 2,100rpm's. You see what I am saying? The easier it is for your engine to "BREATHE" the less it will have to work to move your vehicle @ a given rate of speed. You do not necassarily need to alter gear ratio's to accomplish this. One example being a improvement in camshafts, or MEVI intake manifold...
Old 03-20-2004, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Maximus101
I can report first hand that your RPM's can infact change for a specific MPH. Maybe not just with an exhaust mod. But Most anybody who has put an intake on there car will notice a change. (example) with stock intake at 60mph your RPM's may have usually been at 2,300rpm's or so. But once you replaced you intake you probably noticed that @ the same speed (60mph) you are now cruising @ 2,100rpm's. You see what I am saying? The easier it is for your engine to "BREATHE" the less it will have to work to move your vehicle @ a given rate of speed. You do not necassarily need to alter gear ratio's to accomplish this. One example being a improvement in camshafts, or MEVI intake manifold...
sorry, thats wrong. there is a given speed for every RPM and they don't change. With your logic, its like saying the top speed of the max would change if you put a super charger in it. It will get there quicker than a stock max, but they both run out of gearing at the same speed.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:50 PM

Has anyone hear ever been going downhill & taken there foot off the gas? If so, maybe you noticed that your RPM's drop but for some odd ball reason your car remains at the same speed, or may even gain speed. I wonder why that is... I joined the org. because I thought I might actually talk to people who know whats up. But all I'm seem to get is lame *** people? Let's see first I got "The computer doesn't control the fuel on a Maxima." My response was, weird I thought we had Electronic fuel injection!!! Next was I'm using a dry nitrous system on my car, what is the safest shot I can use & still be within the computers map program for fuel adjustment? Morons reply was "Adjust the fuel jet on your fogger." You people need to stick to just trying to look pretty.... I'm out!!!!
Old 03-20-2004, 12:54 PM
Kevlo for President

Is your OD on or off? Maybe they hit something around hte tranny linkage when installing.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:58 PM

I fully understand how gear ratio's work, I have done more then I tranny rebuild or ring & pinion change in my life time. It's kinda like me saying for ever 10 times I dip my ***** in your mouth I have to drop the shaft in atleast once... You guy's need to learn to read better. I'm pretty sure the guy who asked the question noticed that his RPM's were different @ a given speed then they were before he made the modification. So basically you guy's are calling him a lye'r right? I'm pretty sure he asked the wuestion for a good reason. Or is everyone that own a Maxima ignorent?
Old 03-20-2004, 01:11 PM

Has anyone hear ever been going downhill & taken there foot off the gas? If so, maybe you noticed that your RPM's drop but for some odd ball reason your car remains at the same speed, or may even gain speed. I wonder why that is...

Mabye that's becuase God created something wonderful called the force of GRAVITY!!!

Old 03-20-2004, 01:20 PM

You guys realize that yes, if the engine was directly connected to the transmission and the output shaft of the tranny was directly connected to the wheels, then the engine RPM would never change with it's "partner" wheel-speed.

BUT

The thing to think about here is that with an automatic transmission, there is also a torque converter involved, and thus it is _possible_ that the engine would spin slightly faster or slower if it was more or less "powerful".

Granted, I am NOT saying this will be the case for any situation, I am just tossing out the point that with a torque converter + auto tranny, it seems at least possible this could be the case. Again, disclaimer, I am just guessing here...
Old 03-20-2004, 01:21 PM

Oh, I can't beleive I just found someone who can actually think outside the box? So basically your telling me that you understand that there are other forces other then just "GEAR RATIO'S" that might effect RPM to MPH ratio's? I am so proud of you! In my book your at the top of the people I have talked to on this sight.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:22 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

I fully understand how gear ratio's work, I have done more then I tranny rebuild or ring & pinion change in my life time. It's kinda like me saying for ever 10 times I dip my ***** in your mouth I have to drop the shaft in atleast once... You guy's need to learn to read better. I'm pretty sure the guy who asked the question noticed that his RPM's were different @ a given speed then they were before he made the modification. So basically you guy's are calling him a lye'r right? I'm pretty sure he asked the wuestion for a good reason. Or is everyone that own a Maxima ignorent?

hahah, typical NOOB BS.

dude, sit down and shut your mouth for a minute. There is a way that things work around here, and with the minute amount of time that you've spent here, i don't think your feeble brain has managed to catch on. You have 17 posts here. Calm the fock down. I'm not trying to pull the "i've been here longer than you" BS, but when you make 17 posts, and 2 are flames, and one has obviously inaccurate info in there, you're off to a bad start.

hmm, we're ignorant (notice the "a" in there, genius?) but WTF is a newb doing jumping right into NOS and ish like that? Why don't you learn how your car works before you decide to boost it?

Anyway, by what you said in your first post, you go against what's actually going on. True, if the car breathes better the engine does not have to work as hard to maintain the same speed, ie: why the rpms are lower after an intake is installed. However, if the exhaust is more "open" and the whole car is breathing better, then why would the RPMS increase? You've proved yourself wrong right away. Sit down and lurk before you stand up and make an **** of yerself.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:31 PM

Did this guy just say I was a noobie? Maybe to this lame *** website. Dude I've been tuning cars for over 15yrs. I was hitting nitrous & banging the finest ho's long before you even knew it would work on your car. Dude you need to check yourself!!! By the way Mister I'm so old school to Maxima.org! Did you even read the first post or did you just hop on the band wagon with all the other clowns? Oh and buy the way for your information the lame *** advise I got about my Nitrous from your very own much praised on this sight Jime. In my eye's this guy is a friggin moron! Why don't you just go to the beach or something. And as far as how many post I've made if you take the "RATIO" of which of those were actually me asking questions to the lame *** answers it's about 75% your fellow members bull-ish.... Take a hike nerd.............
Old 03-20-2004, 01:48 PM

Huh thats new i've never seen an intake change RPM'S before at any given speed and i've been building race cars for over 20 years, i'm not saying i suppose it's not oddly possible but i've never had that happen before the only way i've seen it happen is through gear ratio changes. hmm interesting also guys you think maybe we could keep the name calling to a minimum i mean were not 2 year old here.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:49 PM

Whats up, did everybody b_tch out here! Maybe they all realized how lame they actually are & figured they just plain couldn't compete? Why doe's everyone from the lame state of PA think they know so much. You guy's don't even hear about sh_t until after we Californian's turn it into a trend!!!
Old 03-20-2004, 01:52 PM

Did this guy just say I was a noobie? Maybe to this lame *** website. Dude I've been tuning cars for over 15yrs. I was hitting nitrous & banging the finest ho's long before you even knew it would work on your car. Dude you need to check yourself!!! By the way Mister I'm so old school to Maxima.org! Did you even read the first post or did you just hop on the band wagon with all the other clowns? Oh and buy the way for your information the lame *** advise I got about my Nitrous from your very own much praised on this sight Jime. In my eye's this guy is a friggin moron! Why don't you just go to the beach or something. And as far as how many post I've made if you take the "RATIO" of which of those were actually me asking questions to the lame *** answers it's about 75% your fellow members bull-ish.... Take a hike nerd.............

Yeah, you sure sound like you've been tuning cars for over 15 years......If you really HAVE been, then you might not be acting so 12 year oldish.

And if Jime was such a moron, why would you get advice from him? He has one of the fastest maximas on the planet. And sir, where are your slips?
Old 03-20-2004, 01:55 PM

I was refered to Jime by another org. member. Obviously Jime knows how to make his car go fast. But if you attempt to get technical with him. He get's a brain fart. So don't stand up for someone just because they might know more then you!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2004, 01:58 PM

Let's not forget that almost anybody, even you can hook up a 150hp shot of Nitrous & go fast. What's so hard about that? Oh I get it your envious of him because he's faster then you!!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2004, 02:05 PM

I was refered to Jime by another org. member. Obviously Jime knows how to make his car go fast. But if you attempt to get technical with him. He get's a brain fart. So don't stand up for someone just because they might know more then you!!!!!!!!!

I know for a FACT, i/y/e/ecu etc does not alter RPM's for a given speed. They might alter HP and TQ, but NOT RPM's. It is phisically impossible.

If Jime knows more than me about cars, than good for him. But just listen to other people before you start flaming. It was attempted to be told nicely in a previous post bu Bmr4life, so just go back and read the WHOLE thread over again.

And for god's sake, calm down.
Old 03-20-2004, 02:06 PM
Sittin' On Chrome

got any pics of the setup?
Old 03-20-2004, 02:07 PM

Let's not forget that almost anybody, even you can hook up a 150hp shot of Nitrous & go fast. What's so hard about that? Oh I get it your envious of him because he's faster then you!!!!!!!!

Dude, your a piece of work.

LMFAO
Old 03-20-2004, 02:12 PM

One last thing before I go!
I bet more then 90% of you Maxima owners didn't purchase your cars because you wanted to go fast. What happened was you got pee'd on by some Honda or Mitsubishi & felt like crap so you hoped on the internet to see what can I buy to make my car go faster. See me, I don't consider my maxima fast. Low 14's or 13's isn't what I consider fast. I only upgraded the parts that from the factory are garbage. You guy's heard from some one get the Y-pipe & go a CAI. See me I actually looked & understood these area's were design flawed. So I changed them without needing to reseach about it! I didn't have to hear about these upgrades I know about upgrading these flawed components. Maybe you guy's didn't have a chance to grow up driving & working on American Muscle. So you never really learned the true meaning of how to make Power to go faster. But I can't hate on you for that, all I can do is prey that eventually you might go through that sometime in your life....
Old 03-20-2004, 02:17 PM

I bet more then 90% of you Maxima owners didn't purchase your cars because you wanted to go fast. What happened was you got pee'd on by some Honda or Mitsubishi & felt like crap so you hoped on the internet to see what can I buy to make my car go faster. See me, I don't consider my maxima fast. Low 14's or 13's isn't what I consider fast. I only upgraded the parts that from the factory are garbage. You guy's heard from some one get the Y-pipe & go a CAI. See me I actually looked & understood these area's were design flawed. So I changed them without needing to reseach about it! I didn't have to hear about these upgrades I know about upgrading these flawed components. Maybe you guy's didn't have a chance to grow up driving & working on American Muscle. So you never really learned the true meaning of how to make Power to go faster. But I can't hate on you for that, all I can do is prey that eventually you might go through that sometime in your life....

Dude, all I can do is laugh.

Domestic cars have their advantages and disadvantages JUST like imports do. You won't see many fords or chevys hitting 180,000 miles without MAJOR work needing to be done to them. On the other hand, my maxima had 182,000 miles on it, original tranny, original motor, and nothing but routine matinence done to it. You can't beat the life of a maxima, or for that matter, many other imports.
Old 03-20-2004, 02:22 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

15 years huh? Maybe i should thank people like you for starting the all show, no go-LED washer lights-Giant f'ing wing-fart can exhaust trend.

Seriously, if you've been doing this for 15 years, then you should have enough knowledge and experience to be building these things blindfolded. You came in here running your mouth, what kind of response do you expect to get? The Org represents the maxima community, and a community is exactly what we are. We deal with each other every day, and (almost) never use the fact that we are behind a computer to act like a jerk. We have meets and get together in person. Some of us share the same jobs, or live on the same streets. Realistically, if you met a group of people in person and started acting obnoxious and putting people down, how often are these people going to want to deal with you?

And to be honest with you, talk all the **** on PA that you want. I'm not from here, i just live here.
Old 03-20-2004, 02:27 PM

omfg is this guy banned yet? this is so dumb its beyond hope.

sorry dude, the people who ACTUALLY DO the things you talk about know you're fake and that you cant prove otherwise, so just give up.

obviously you're out to prove something, but take it from me, its not gonna work. your chances of having any respect on this forum are totally gone now.

a lot of people here and EVERYWHERE dont know crap about anything but will act like they do and give you stupid answers like you mentioned. you should be familiar with this phenomenon.

likewise, a lot of people here know a lot, and since they (we? ) cant fix everyone's noobosity and stupid misconceptions, they tend to only help people who dont spout bull**** constantly and come off as a ******* before they hit 20 posts. this is how the internet works. take that into consideration next time you attempt to use a forum.

Old 03-20-2004, 02:27 PM

man, 2 posts while i was typing mine up.. hehe
Old 03-20-2004, 03:35 PM
Kevlo for President

Did anyone read my post. Dang people yall get mad easily
Old 03-20-2004, 04:15 PM

yeh i saw it and im waiting to hear whether thats it or not. this thread was hijacked before i got here, so im shameless on that front.

if the car is really doing 4000 rpm on the highway after the exhaust, it not going into 4th gear is just about the ONLY possibility. ther could be a few reasons why that would be happening, but most likely among those would be either the OD button being off or there being a wiring problem with it because of something the exhaust shop messed up.

im interested to find out what the problem is.

btw, how do you like the exhaust, and do you have pics?
Old 03-20-2004, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
sorry, thats wrong. there is a given speed for every RPM and they don't change. With your logic, its like saying the top speed of the max would change if you put a super charger in it. It will get there quicker than a stock max, but they both run out of gearing at the same speed.
Not if you're auto because we aren't gear limited. We're limited by CD and power, so the S/C would increase out top speed

LEMAR
Old 03-20-2004, 08:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

im a pretty impartial person til i read all evidence, but if he got a dual exhaust and like you said it should breathe easier, shouldnt his RPM's decrease and not increase? its doubtful that his dual exhaust was more restrictive than the single exhaust, baiscally wouldnt his RPM's at 80 mph go from 2850 to say 2600 if what you say is true? instead hes at 4000 rpm which contradicts in essence what youre trying to say...seems like 4th gear is off like Kevlo said
Old 03-20-2004, 08:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Oh man, who cares about the RPM/mph garbage. Where the hell are the pictures? What did you pay for the setup? What size tips are you running? What muffler did you use?

Im re-doing my setup this week. Swapping out my dynomax for flowmasters, 3.5in chrome tips, custom crush bent B-pipe with resontor and such...

Eric
Old 03-20-2004, 10:52 PM

I bet even your Mom makes fun of you...
Old 03-20-2004, 10:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 99Maxima5sp
Oh man, who cares about the RPM/mph garbage. Where the hell are the pictures? What did you pay for the setup? What size tips are you running? What muffler did you use?

Im re-doing my setup this week. Swapping out my dynomax for flowmasters, 3.5in chrome tips, custom crush bent B-pipe with resontor and such...

Eric

I feel the exact same way!

And as for domestics ...

And just to show TRUE racing spirit...

Old 03-21-2004, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by 99Maxima5sp

Eric
Whats up. I will try to ge tpics up as soon as I wash the car. I bought a flowmaster 80 series 2.5 inlet, dual 2.5 outlet muffler before I went to the shop for $92. The shop charged me $220 for the repiping from the cat converter. Then it was $45 for each 4" tip/. I wanted 3" but they didn't ahve any. They also put a resonator in. I'm really happy with the setup, I jsut have to sand out the cut they made for the second tip.

What is everyone's rpm's when going like 60 on the highway. Mine are at 3-4k with overdrice off. And when drivin at like 35-40 my rpms are at 3k. Could anything be wrong?
Old 03-21-2004, 08:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Whats up. I will try to ge tpics up as soon as I wash the car. I bought a flowmaster 80 series 2.5 inlet, dual 2.5 outlet muffler before I went to the shop for $92. The shop charged me $220 for the repiping from the cat converter. Then it was $45 for each 4" tip/. I wanted 3" but they didn't ahve any. They also put a resonator in. I'm really happy with the setup, I jsut have to sand out the cut they made for the second tip.

What is everyone's rpm's when going like 60 on the highway. Mine are at 3-4k with overdrice off. And when drivin at like 35-40 my rpms are at 3k. Could anything be wrong?

Oh wow, same setup i will be running except w/ 3.5inch tips. I really wanna see how it looks with 4in tips though. Screw washing the car, i wanna see!!!!!

Eric