4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Stupid Y Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 04:49 AM

Stupid Y Pipe

Ok this has probably been posted before but thats going to happen without the search function working...

Ok after 10 hours of installing the y pipe (it was really rusty). I took it out for a drive and it was quite loud... ALOT more than I expected. All the sound was from the engine too (i have the stock muffler). Will this get alittle quieter as it breaks in? It sounds good (not farty) but its just about 3x louder than stock and I don't know if I want to be that loud all the time.

Also I am getting alittle rattling at the low RPM's and such, but i found another post for that so don't worry about it.

I didn't really feel any power increase either... I've heard of people having to wait a week for the ecu to adjust to the new pipe. Could this be my situation??

Just alittle dissapointed after busting my *** for 10 hours...
Old 03-21-2004, 05:00 AM
V^___^V

reset ECU...
Old 03-21-2004, 05:30 AM

I noticed mine has more vibration to at lower rpms. I really never noticed that big of a power diff either. (installed last weekend, reset my ecu) I don't care what people say u really don't notice 15 whp anyway nothing like a supercharger or turbo. knocks off like .10 in a quarter mile if your lucky, If it don't get lost in the drivetrain on the way to the wheels. But that like everything else in the world is debatable. Why did it take ya 10 hours?
Old 03-21-2004, 05:34 AM
V^___^V

high expectation = greater disappointment

never judge performance base on sound + feel. take it to the dyno and find out the exact number.

you can always add a super big rice muffler + stickers + altezzas to make yourself think your car is fast... so buy my altezzas right now!!!
Old 03-21-2004, 05:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

OMG I felt mine RIGHT away, but I reset the ECU while the car was still on the lift, before even driving it with the new y-pipe.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by happyricefob
high expectation = greater disappointment

never judge performance base on sound + feel. take it to the dyno and find out the exact number.

you can always add a super big rice muffler + stickers + altezzas to make yourself think your car is fast... so buy my altezzas right now!!!
just because it is louder doesn't mean it is faster just ask all these little sceaming hondas in the country (except forced inducted or built ones) who said that bein loud=fast anyway, you've said that in my last posting to?? I don't do my addon's for big gains i do it because it is an adicting passion i have, i even modded my wifes alero! which by the way keeps up with my max pretty good ;0)
Old 03-21-2004, 06:11 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

crazy, i didnt really notice my y - pipe either until i got the car out on the highway, then it really shined. as far as the noise, you may have an exhaust leak, while the car is running, try to pinpoint where the sound is coming from and that should help identify if there is a problem or not. resetting the ecu would not change anything, the car would need to adjust to the y pipe regardless. you might feel a difference because the ecu is "re-learning some things like shifting style, and shifting might be a little smooother for a bit, but nothing major in terms of power. anyways if you're butt dyno doesnt tell you anything, just wait a few days when u get on a road that you are used to travelling at a high rate of speed on, and open it up a little bit there, i'm sure you'll notice some differnce there.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:20 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

When I installed mine, there was no rattling, and it really wasn't much lounder at all (everything else stock). It had just a slightly different tone to it. Hopefully there's just an exhaust leak or rubbing somewhere that you can take care of. I didn't notice much gain on the butt dyno either.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:27 AM
5th Gen till she dies!

why do you have to reset the ecu? i am in the group deal for the warpspeed so i am getting one soon.

i have heard alot of pepel saying they could feel a huge differance, and it is tehn best bamg for the buck. on my car i felt the differnt with my JWT intake. i am expecting more gain than the intake.

will my intake help my y be more noticale?
Old 03-21-2004, 07:33 AM

id have to agree with the person who posted the thread, its like 3 times louder, and its a nuisance, im thinking of going back to stock, i could care less about the power if the tone is going to be deeper, makes my car feel like a pickup truck, i checked for leaks, none found, and i didnt feel much of a power increase, i dont have an intake, that might be the cause bu tthe tone is bothering me
Old 03-21-2004, 07:42 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

i think alot of the horsepower is a placebo affect ... one person says it feels amazing, everyone expects the same, so they feel it to but only because alot of people have in the past as well
Old 03-21-2004, 07:57 AM

uhh you dont like it i'll take it off ur hands for $20 :P
Old 03-21-2004, 08:03 AM
V^___^V

Originally Posted by Subzero
... who said that bein loud=fast anyway...
me! cuz i'm a ricer....
Old 03-21-2004, 08:09 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Wow, all you people who think that Y-pipe is "too" loud should not be modding.

Seriously though, you guys are HIGHLY exaggerating. Either you have issues elsewhere with your exhaust system (aftermarket, or leaks) or something else because my buddy has a Y-pipe, hacked air filter and STOCK cat-back and it quiet as hell around town. Mine was the same way, quiet. Sounds just decibels louder than stock. I mean cmon, if thats enough to annoy you, hang up your modding boots now please...

Eric
Old 03-21-2004, 08:21 AM

In the past when I put on a new muffler on another car I needed to get replacement gaskets for between the pipe connections. Does anybody know if I'll need them for the y-pipe? Thanks.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Terran
In the past when I put on a new muffler on another car I needed to get replacement gaskets for between the pipe connections. Does anybody know if I'll need them for the y-pipe? Thanks.

Yes you need new gaskets. When you install your new gaskets they compress to fit the new pipe and they seal all possible leaks. If you use the ones from the original pipe. They are a;ready compressed and shaped with the OEM pipe, so is very possible you will get a leak and the car will sound like a damn diesel truck.

skiboarder72: Can you describe the sound for us? does it sound like a Diesel truck, or like if air is leaking (bees in the can sound).
Most of the pipes will make that horrible bees in the can sound, which I'm pretty sure is because of the installation. If you bend the flex section during the install chances are that is damage. The best way to fix that is by wrapping the flex with some header wrap. A 15 ft roll should be enough to go over your flex.
The Diesel sound could be caused by a leak on your exhaust some where around the headers or the cat.
The Y pipe is really quit if its installed right. People who don't know maximas won't even notice that have it installed. As far as the feel goes. leave the battery unplugged overnight. Your car will feel different the next morning learning its fresh new mod.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:25 AM

Exhuast leak? Thats the first thing taht came into my mind
Old 03-21-2004, 10:08 AM

ok i'm going to go drive for awhile (i let it sit over night and get snowed on). Hopefully things will be alittle better/quieter. To remove the y pipe we had to remove the whole cat too because the bolts in between the y pipe and cat were soooo horrible. I bought a new gasket in between the b-pipe and cat and used the warpspeed on for in between the cat and y pipe.

It could be a leak i'll go out and check. I was up till 10 installing this thing so i might not have been to strong
Old 03-21-2004, 10:56 AM

Ok i went out and drove it, it feels alittle faster than it did yesterday but that bad sound is still there I think the problem is a leak around the cat (i'll get down there one of these days and try and tighten things up). It sounds like diesel sort of so I think thats what the problem is. Thx for everyone's help
Old 03-21-2004, 01:36 PM

Ok I just put the car back up and I was tightening all the bolts when i discovered that one of the bolts was stripped. This was not holdinging the cat onto the pipe on one side (thus creating a big leak). So i got a new bolt on there and tightened things up. Now it sounds just like the stock exhaust! Nice and quiet but the oomph is now there and it feels great!! It still rattles alittle sometimes but hopefully that will go away in the first week. Thx for your help once again everyone!!
Old 03-21-2004, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by skiboarder72

I didn't really feel any power increase either... I've heard of people having to wait a week for the ecu to adjust to the new pipe. Could this be my situation??

Just alittle dissapointed after busting my *** for 10 hours...
I think you mean me busting my *** for 10 hours...
The power will come, I didnt feel a whole lot in mine right away, but after a few days it pulled a lot harder.

And you didnt need to re-set the ECU since we had the battery disconnected during the whole thing, so that automatically reset it.

After that, I'm leaving the y pipe on my car instead of changing it back when i get rid of it, too much work to change y pipes on 2 cars in 1 day.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:22 PM

HUGE thanks To justin ^^^^ (venompwr2) for busting his *** and helping me to get this on!!! I couldn't have done it without you man!! I ow you one...
Old 03-21-2004, 05:09 PM
brotherhood of tq

so fixing the leak cured the bees in the can noise?
Old 03-21-2004, 05:15 PM
brotherhood of tq

cause if thats the case then somebody swing by my place so that we could get rid of my bee's sounds