4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A/C Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004 | 02:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

A/C Compressor

Just wondering, how hard is it to replace the compressor?
Could it be a Saturday DIY project?
Anyone know of a write up somewhere?

I've got 147k on it and it's not compressin no more.
I've done everything you can other than getting a new compressor, which is what I should have done in the first place.

Anyway, any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-31-2004 | 03:15 PM

Doubt its easy, theres a reason why most shops charge up to $800 to fix that damned thing =O
Old 03-31-2004 | 03:44 PM

I had to do it when I first got my car. The compressor died at 108k and I bought it at 107k. Its not difficult to replace, and it could save you money if you don't mess it up like I did. The parts store was stupid and didn't know if I needed an expansion valve. I didn't know anything about the car yet, so I called a dealership and a guy lied to me and told me that I didn't have an expansion valve. (Which, after taking Mech and Elec Systems in school, I learned that its a necessary part of small A/C systems).
After I replaced the compressor and paid to have refrigerant put back in, the system leaked. I had to pay to get the expansion valve replaced, and new refrigerant put in.

Here's the approximate break down of what it cost me:
$350 Compressor w/clutch at Advance Auto
$75 x2 to take the old refrigerant out, and then put then new stuff in.
$50 Expansion valve
$500 total before having the exp. valve replaced

$80 Labor b/c I was tired of dealing with it.
$75 x2 to take out and replenish refrigerant.
$730 total

I called some shops and got quotes for about $800-1000 before I did it myself. So you could DIY for about ~$500. It'll take a day, I used my Haynes manual to do the whole thing. And you will have to schedule an appt. with a shop that will take out the refrigerant. I'd also suggest taking it to the same place and having them do a leak test after you're done. Hope this helps.
Old 03-31-2004 | 09:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Got it. So I should take it to a shop to get rid of the refrigerant, not just deplete it in the air...
What's the clutch for? Don't get which part that is... hmm..
Old 04-01-2004 | 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by DaBombX
Got it. So I should take it to a shop to get rid of the refrigerant, not just deplete it in the air...
What's the clutch for? Don't get which part that is... hmm..
I'm pretty sure the clutch is built in. I can't remember what it looks like. I just remember ordering the whole part, and being told to get the one w/ the clutch. Sorry, I can't help you with the specifcs in that area.

Yes, take it to a shop to get rid of the refrigerant. I think shops usually just charge you one fee to both deplete and replenish the system. Plus its really bad for the environment. If you like breathing oxygen, and you want your grandchildren to breath oxygen from the air too, get the shop to properly deal with it.

Make sure it has oil in it btw. Mine came pre oiled, but you might want to check to see if yours does. Theres a special refrigerant oil btw.
Old 04-01-2004 | 04:43 AM

the clutch is the pulley part. If you want to check one more thing before buying a whole compressor, check the high pressure side o-rings, or all the o-rings for that matter. Sometimes those will blow and you lose all your refrigerant. But if you don't hear noises, then you could probably just change that out and you're ok. Refrigerant grade o-rings can be bought at auto parts store. good luck. If that's not it, then I'd have a professional check it out. AC is one of those things that are worth paying people to do.
Old 04-01-2004 | 07:15 AM

Thanks SamMan23, I was hoping someone else would throw down some opinions and expertise.

I forgot to ask if your compressor was making noise. Mine was for a while, then it froze, and caused the belt to break. The bearings in the pulley siezed.

If I had the whole thing to do over again, I would've paid someone else to do it for me. However, I did only pay $730, and have put 42,000 miles on my car since I fixed it w/o a problem.