4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What the heck is that?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 04:54 PM

What the heck is that?

I was replacing my winter tires with my mags in my 98 Max SE. So I went to take the jack out of the trunk, usually it's located on the right, where the antenna is, after removing the cover.

BUT what do I find? Oil all over! I then see that there's one end of a plastic hose not attached anywhere, and the other end attach to a metal part that seems broken from somewhere... and then the other end of the metal attached to a rubber hose going somewhere I couldn't see this night.

Something's definitelly wrong, but I don't know what that hose is doing and couldn't find it in the Hayes manual in any pictures.

Do you guys have that also in your Max? If so, any clue what it's for? Hopefully it's not my brakes...
Old 03-31-2004, 05:06 PM

I wouldnt worry about it being from the brakes but no idea on what it might be from.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:09 PM

yeah, i have a hose back there too, never had any oil in there though.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:11 PM

it could be your tail light fluid, you should go get that checked out first thing tomorrow........im jk.
like whtse said, almost 100% chance it not being from your brakes, shouldnt be that big of a problem i would think but i really have no idea what it could be...
Old 03-31-2004, 06:59 PM
Hooooooonda.....

EVAP system?
Old 03-31-2004, 07:14 PM

It's not the drainage hose off of your antenna is it? Maybe you oiled your antenna recently and thats what you found.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:27 PM

Maybe there is a leak in your blinker fluid line
Old 03-31-2004, 07:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Chadman
I was replacing my winter tires with my mags in my 98 Max SE. So I went to take the jack out of the trunk, usually it's located on the right, where the antenna is, after removing the cover.

BUT what do I find? Oil all over! I then see that there's one end of a plastic hose not attached anywhere, and the other end attach to a metal part that seems broken from somewhere... and then the other end of the metal attached to a rubber hose going somewhere I couldn't see this night.

Something's definitelly wrong, but I don't know what that hose is doing and couldn't find it in the Hayes manual in any pictures.

Do you guys have that also in your Max? If so, any clue what it's for? Hopefully it's not my brakes...
WTF!? are you serious?

Old 03-31-2004, 08:15 PM

take apart your trunk and find out, im curious
Old 03-31-2004, 08:30 PM
slackass

Originally Posted by waveridr85
take apart your trunk and find out, im curious

Old 03-31-2004, 08:41 PM
V^___^V

clean up the oil on ur jack and put it back. check it after 1 week of regular driving and see it still have oil on it. i doubt it's anything serious and i wouldn't trip over it...
Old 03-31-2004, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by happyricefob
clean up the oil on ur jack and put it back. check it after 1 week of regular driving and see it still have oil on it. i doubt it's anything serious and i wouldn't trip over it...
yea, but wtf could it possibly be?

Old 04-01-2004, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
yeah, i have a hose back there too, never had any oil in there though.
Is it loose? If not, where is it attached to? That's what I need to know!
Old 04-01-2004, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by happyricefob
But there shouldn't be loose hose in there anyways, what's that all about... Trying to find out what it is. Can't check it out too much now, raining all the time...
Old 04-01-2004, 07:01 PM

I believe it is the sunroof drain hose. If you have a sunroof, there might be some grease from the factory that migrated down there, how much oil are we talking about? There is another little spout that the hose connects to in the lowest corner of that area. Look under the car you will see it exit. It is a good idea to make sure it is connected or you will have water sitting in there after a rainstorm. I don't worry since it never rains in Southern California. Wait, it is raining right now...oh crap.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:42 PM

Sunroof drainage hose...
there are 2 in the front that run down to behind the wheels... not sure how many are in the back.

just don't do like I did and try to blow it out with a air compressor... it came off the sunroof frame thing, and I had to tear out half my headliner to blow it out again, then reconect it.

If you have to blow it out if it is blocked, I used a air compresses with a bic pen (just the case) and duct taped it to the hose... It got good preasure in there, just to much.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Wrightsfd
I believe it is the sunroof drain hose. If you have a sunroof, there might be some grease from the factory that migrated down there, how much oil are we talking about? There is another little spout that the hose connects to in the lowest corner of that area. Look under the car you will see it exit. It is a good idea to make sure it is connected or you will have water sitting in there after a rainstorm. I don't worry since it never rains in Southern California. Wait, it is raining right now...oh crap.
Everywhere I touch there's oil, but there isn't like a lake at the bottom...
You think it's the sunroof drain hose? If so, I wonder where that oil come's from!

It just rained yesterday, so I'll check if there's water in my trunk.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:29 AM

anti-rust treatment?
Old 04-02-2004, 08:49 AM

Are you sure its oil? It could be charcoal laiden fuel.

On the '96 Max, there is a hose connecting the charcoal cannister (part of the EVAP system) to the fuel tank for vapor emmissions control (the fuel tank is under the rear bench seat). On the '96, this hose runs right through the location you are talking about, except on the left (driver's side).

Sounds like the hose came apart and gunky fuel is getting everywhere. Do you have a CEL light on or any ghost codes for an EVAP system fault? I'd check.

If thats not it, then there are several drain hoses in that area (one for the power antenna mast, and one to drain the low spots in the trunk). As someone else said, the power antenna has grease in it, and maybe the motor is going bad and spewing grease all over.

Aside from that, theres not much else it could be. I'd check for ghost DTCs first to see if you have any kind of EVAP fault.

Mike
Old 04-02-2004, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by crashmanmike
Are you sure its oil? It could be charcoal laiden fuel.

On the '96 Max, there is a hose connecting the charcoal cannister (part of the EVAP system) to the fuel tank for vapor emmissions control (the fuel tank is under the rear bench seat). On the '96, this hose runs right through the location you are talking about, except on the left (driver's side).

Sounds like the hose came apart and gunky fuel is getting everywhere. Do you have a CEL light on or any ghost codes for an EVAP system fault? I'd check.

If thats not it, then there are several drain hoses in that area (one for the power antenna mast, and one to drain the low spots in the trunk). As someone else said, the power antenna has grease in it, and maybe the motor is going bad and spewing grease all over.

Aside from that, theres not much else it could be. I'd check for ghost DTCs first to see if you have any kind of EVAP fault.

Mike
Thanks for the info, pretty resourceful.
I got codes yes, I've checked it 2 days ago. There is 3:
0304 - knock sensor, I'll have to replace it.
1003 - park/neutral position switch... Could that be it?? What does that mean
0411 - Oxygen Sensor, if I remember correctly.

It's probably one of them, not the knock sensor, remove the oxygen sensor, shouldn't be related, then there's park/neutral position switch... Could it be related?
Old 04-02-2004, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Chadman
Thanks for the info, pretty resourceful.
I got codes yes, I've checked it 2 days ago. There is 3:
0304 - knock sensor, I'll have to replace it.
1003 - park/neutral position switch... Could that be it?? What does that mean
0411 - Oxygen Sensor, if I remember correctly.

It's probably one of them, not the knock sensor, remove the oxygen sensor, shouldn't be related, then there's park/neutral position switch... Could it be related?
none of those codes should be ralated to your problem. i bet its the sunroof drain like some people have said, i don't have one so i dont know
Old 04-02-2004, 11:20 AM

dont replace the knock sensor, fix your oxygen sensor and your knock sensor will function correctly
Old 04-02-2004, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by waveridr85
dont replace the knock sensor, fix your oxygen sensor and your knock sensor will function correctly
You serious? I'll sure try that, it'll save me $$$!
Old 04-02-2004, 03:09 PM

97 GXE - no hose plastic or metal
98 SE - no hose plastic or metal

I took the jack out and stuck my hand as far as I could back and could only find the auto attenna mechanism. No tubes of any kind, only electrical wire. Sorry I could be of no help.