4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Difference between SE and GXE suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2001, 05:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Hello, I have a 98 GXE, and I was wondering if there is any difference between the SE and GXE suspension. I would like to upgrade my suspension, but I don't know if it's better to buy an SE suspension or just get some performance shocks/struts and lowering springs. Thanks
Old 03-19-2001, 05:54 PM

apparently

the SE has a firmer "sport-tuned" suspension.

Whether or not that is true, I am not sure. Perhaps some of Maxima veterans on this board know?

The info is in the brochure for the car, but I am not sure whether there is a physical difference in the two suspensions.
Old 03-19-2001, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Re: apparently

you are correct.. and the GXE and GLE have the floaty luxury suspension..

but everyone changes their suspension out anyway

Originally posted by Matrix
the SE has a firmer "sport-tuned" suspension.

Whether or not that is true, I am not sure. Perhaps some of Maxima veterans on this board know?

The info is in the brochure for the car, but I am not sure whether there is a physical difference in the two suspensions.
Old 03-20-2001, 12:01 AM

SE vs. GLE/GXE suspension

I have a GLE, and when I got the car last year, I replaced the suspension to a SE suspension--bought SE springs from an owner that was looking to get rid of them (had 40K miles on them when he upgraded), purchased 4 new OEM SE shocks (made for Nissan by Tokico) from Courtesy Nissan (about $67 for each front; $56 for each rear), front SE strut mounts, and as my car's strut bearings were going out, replaced those as well.

After the switch, it's about 20-25% firmer ride, less body lean, and less floaty than before. Obviously, it's not that much harsher than the GLE ride, but I feel that it was worth the upgrade to put some sport in the drive. However, if you want an even sportier ride, you should look at getting some of the aftermarket sport spring combinations (such as H&R/Tokico).

With the aftermarket setups, you'll definitely get less body lean, giving you optimal handling performance and about a 1.5" drop in ride height, but then again, the tradeoffs seem to be a harsh ride on rough pavement (some users can live w/ them and some feel it's overly harsh on the rough) and you'll probably get more squeaks and rattles in your car that you hadn't had before--those w/ the aftermarket springs/shocks can correct me on that one though.

If you're just looking to put some more sport in your car's ride and want to keep your car as stock as possible, then getting an OEM SE suspension would be the way to go. However, if you want to go for the sportiest route, go aftermarket, but keep in mind the potential tradeoffs.

Good luck.
Old 03-20-2001, 01:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Re: SE vs. GLE/GXE suspension

Thanks guys!!
Old 03-20-2001, 03:41 AM
Ramius83

Also what makes the differnece between the two is the SE has polyurethane bushings that everything sits on, while GXE/GLE's have rubber. When force/pressure is exerted on these rubber bushings, they compress, that is why you really feel the car lean and roll. The polyurethane bushings on the SE do not compress, that is also why the SE doesn't lean as much as the GXE/GLE. As I am pretty sure of this but I could be wrong, the springs and struts are identical on all model Maximas, it is just these bushings that make the difference. But yet again, I could be wrong, that is just what I heard earlier. But please correct me if I am wrong. Later

Old 03-20-2001, 06:30 AM

Is there a difference in the sway bar thicknesses? I thought there was. ALso, the steering ratio is shorter on the SE than the GXE (not sure about the GLE). And obviously the wheel sizes differ which also affects suspension.
Old 03-20-2001, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Springs are a bit stiffer..

oh to the GLE gentleman about the aftermarket setup.. the H&R's and Tokico combination is less harsher than stock.. its a sweet comforable ride, I noted this because when i use to go over speed bumps i would feel it more than when i had Toks/H&R's its once you touch Eibachs and everything else.. thats when the ride differs from stock greatly

Originally posted by Ramius83
Also what makes the differnece between the two is the SE has polyurethane bushings that everything sits on, while GXE/GLE's have rubber. When force/pressure is exerted on these rubber bushings, they compress, that is why you really feel the car lean and roll. The polyurethane bushings on the SE do not compress, that is also why the SE doesn't lean as much as the GXE/GLE. As I am pretty sure of this but I could be wrong, the springs and struts are identical on all model Maximas, it is just these bushings that make the difference. But yet again, I could be wrong, that is just what I heard earlier. But please correct me if I am wrong. Later
Old 03-20-2001, 09:24 AM

I usually check out my information very carefully before I post anything, so here are some replies (not to be confrontational at all, just to ensure accuracy):

Ramius: I've checked a copy of my information from the Niisan car brochure, and both the GLE and SE have urethane bushings. And the springs and struts are definitely different between the SE and GLE/GXE--the SE springs/struts being stiffer (if you call to order parts, you'll get different part numbers for them).

kratz74: Yes, the GXE and SE have different size rims. However, FYI, the aluminum GLE and SE rims have the exact same offsets and size (6.5" wide x 15" rim)--somebody corrected me a while back on this too (check your owner's manual if you don't believe me). Although the GLE has 205/65R15 tires, nonetheless, I upgraded to the SE rims and wider 215/60R15 tires (stock size) before I upgraded my suspension, so my previous ride comparisions/comments are based solely on suspension upgrades. Further, I checked Alldatadiy.com, and I couldn't find a different part number for the front stablizer--either alldata's information is wrong or they do use the same bars.

SprintMax: My summative comments on the aftemarket setups were based on many users that have posted w/ their upgraded suspensions, so it's all relative to people. I just tried to make an accurate summary of those previous posts. But thanks for your personal input on the setup. As the H&R seem to ride well over rather smooth roads, how are they on rough roads, where the cracks and expansion joints are jutting above the pavement and also over cobblestone roads? Just curious.

Again, this post wasn't supposed to be argumentative--just trying to make sure the information put out is accurate.
Old 03-20-2001, 10:02 AM
Administrator

yeah we got pretty bad roads up here.. State just took over my city because they ran out of money in their budget so you can imagine what the roads are like after we had 3 major snows storms..

yeah i usually go to NYC also and ride pretty well in NYC..
Old 03-20-2001, 11:34 AM

At least I may still have some validity on the steering ratio?????
Old 03-21-2001, 05:04 PM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Stock Suspension Sux~*!^@%

dude~ Suspension is almost always the first (or second after wheels...hehe) thing to go when peeps start doing mods. Start saving up for your new set of springs/struts or if you gots $$$, go fer da CoiloveRs AnGe
before the drop..