4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Injen Clone intake installed-----this sucks...whats up(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 10:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Injen Clone intake installed-----this sucks...whats up(pics)

Im not sure if this is normal, but i installed the intake and now my car runs like ****. It seems like the low end is GONE. Do you guys think I installed it wrong or what? I installed a larger better filter than is in these pics.

thanks peoples
Old 04-06-2004, 10:41 AM

learn to put the pics on and it looks to be installed correct.....
Old 04-06-2004, 10:42 AM

lol ....thanks sadice
Old 04-06-2004, 10:43 AM

n/p
Old 04-06-2004, 10:51 AM
DoGGy

looks like my injen install. what do u mean ur car runs like ****? u do lose some low end torque with intakes but it shouldnt be THAT noticeable. did u hook up all the hoses and the sensor?

Old 04-06-2004, 11:00 AM

did you used to have hai? you definatly shouldnt feel power loss.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Tyrexx
did you used to have hai? you definatly shouldnt feel power loss.
I went from all stock intake, and now feels like i dont have any pull at all.
when i stomp the pedal it hesitates or bogs before the rpms go up and it makes any power.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:15 AM

just installed my injen last night and didnt notice any power loss. it sounds and runs better too. not to mention the old butt dyno felt the extra power
Old 04-06-2004, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by maxima1998gxe
just installed my injen last night and didnt notice any power loss. it sounds and runs better too. not to mention the old butt dyno felt the extra power
See.....dayum...im bummed. I even went and bought a better dual cone filter for it and its still kinda lame. Sounds cool from 3200 and up but the the butt dyno says this bites. Now i keep getting people wanting to race me, cuz they hear it, but I feel like a lame duck, lol.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:28 AM

Cold air intake really arnt made to race people from a dead stop they make the most horse power above 3500 rpms so if you race someone make sure your going about 25 to 30 mph before you mash on the gas. I got mine to pass slow old people on the highway
Old 04-06-2004, 11:52 AM

It almost seems as if its running too lean in the lower rpms and the ecu isnt compensating for the extra cooler air
Old 04-06-2004, 01:15 PM

if it idles worse than before try cleaning your TB and look to see if the MAF sensor has crap in it.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:22 PM

Cold air intake really arnt made to race people from a dead stop they make the most horse power above 3500 rpms so if you race someone make sure your going about 25 to 30 mph before you mash on the gas. I got mine to pass slow old people on the highway
I like racing people from a dead stop because my "big" car just PULLS away on their smaller cars, Gotta use the big torque... So you dont have to "make sure your going 25-30" You can mash the gas anytime and pull on people that's what's great

CAIs are supposedly better for low end power even though I think they're better all around.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Handsome

I looked at your home page and it appears that your MAF sensor is plugged in as well as your vaccume lines.

Question, did you plug the very small vaccume line that was connected to the bottom of your resonator (the think black box between your MAF and throttle body) into the intake?
Old 04-06-2004, 03:08 PM
Handsome

Also, run your car to autozone and have them read your codes for free, get back and let us know.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:18 PM
Banned

did you poke out your maf screen to "gain" hp? how does it rev in N? boggy at all? have you checked for leaks? examine the filter....maybe it some how is covered in crap. did you take the plastic off it?
Old 04-06-2004, 03:34 PM
V^___^V

Originally Posted by drjohnnyfever
I went from all stock intake, and now feels like i dont have any pull at all.
when i stomp the pedal it hesitates or bogs before the rpms go up and it makes any power.
there was nothing wrong with your installation as long as you don't see a CEL on your dash. this is a very common problem with CAI, aka the lack of throttle reponse. do the straw test, suck thru a normal straw, cut it in half, suck thru it again. this is just one of my metaphor represending the length of intake piping which affects throttle response.

if you want better throttle response, swap it to short ram. for the best throttle response, go with popcharger setup.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:25 PM

I have recently installed a Injen CAI and also notice the decrease in throttle response in the low RPMs. Tempted to go to another intake setup but I'm luving the sound of the Injen to much.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:36 PM

i have the same intake and i felt some pretty impressive gains. check your codes there must be something wrong. double and tripple check to see if you pluged everything back up. u might also want to clean your TB if you didnt do so already(that alone should help out alot)
Old 04-06-2004, 04:57 PM

yeah......after driving it for awhile, I think im driving a little dif then b4 to compensate for the loss of throttle response. Even though I think im starting to notice the mid range gains i miss that snappy trottle response that im used to getting. So whats the solution? MEVI? One of my friends also mentioned using an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to increase the fuel pressure at low rpms, whats the deal with that?
Old 04-06-2004, 05:26 PM
V^___^V

Originally Posted by Magikone69
i have the same intake and i felt some pretty impressive gains. check your codes there must be something wrong. double and tripple check to see if you pluged everything back up. u might also want to clean your TB if you didnt do so already(that alone should help out alot)
the only solution i know is to tighten your throttle cable, or switch to popcharger setup.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:56 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I took the Injen out of my car in just 1 month. Low end was completely gone, especially in the hot summer months.

The best intake for our cars is a slightly modified stock setup. You keep your low end, throttle response and if you just open it up slightly, you gain at the top end as well. This is true for all N/A VQ's.

Pop chargers lose low end.
Injen is by far the worst.
A true CAI suffers at the top end, not enough volume of air gets in.

The stock intake flows very well, just provide an additional path for air into the system just after the most restrictive part, which is the snorkle.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:58 PM

happyricefob, i put a HAI on my car and lost loads of low end. what's worse is that i don't think i gained anything in the mid to high end. i'm actually pretty disappointed in it besides the great sound. can't go back to stock either since i drilled a hole in that box in between the maf and the TB for the IAT sensor.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:09 PM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by drjohnnyfever
Im not sure if this is normal, but i installed the intake and now my car runs like ****. It seems like the low end is GONE. Do you guys think I installed it wrong or what? I installed a larger better filter than is in these pics.
[IMG]http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/6/web/330000-330999/330843_15.jpg
[/IMG]http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/6/web/330000-330999/330843_16.jpg

thanks peoples
I have the exact intake as you... Tonight I tried somethin different by taking off the bottom pipe and attaching the filter element right after the MAF, now it sits behind the cooling fan. I also have the cooling fan mod, I went for a test drive, leaving the fans on, and honestly it feels 10x better than with the extra piping.. WAY BETTER.. give it a try. I will try to get some pics of what i'm talking about tomorrow.

-Terry
Old 04-06-2004, 07:17 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

injen in my opinion gives us the best gain at mid range, and thats where i wanted the most power gain, i'm very happy with it, i have no problem spinning my tires off the line, of course, i am a 5 speed so that helps out a bit. i dont think injen is the worst, maybe for you auto guys it is, but i love my injen knock off. for the most part intakes provide some hp over the stock intake, but the stock intake incorporates the best means for driveability, with the injen u want to keep in the mid rpm range for best driveability.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:35 PM

LOL!
I always laugh at peeps debating the CAI, HAI, and Hybrid setups.....

Best thing for the Max without a MEVI is a Hacked airbox.

I tested out the stock box, the CAI and the Hacked airbox. I felt the best responses from the Hacked Airbox. Great stop launches, plenty of passing power when i want it.

easiest thing i can say to do is to sell that CAI on ebay, and then take a look at my webpage and look at how to hack an airbox. Just click the www button below this post.

Also, once you try how i did it, you can hack it futher like i have mine now by cutting away everthing but the bolt mounting holes and plastic to connect it to the lip that holds the top part of the box and filter together. I also left the side with the cold air scoop entrance. This way, i get some cold air, and some heat reflection. So i get cold air at faster speeds which helps high end, and hot air at rest which helps low end torque.

turbo or mevi with CAI is only time i would use.

Old 04-07-2004, 05:33 AM

WOW...maybe you should never try to do anything to your car ever again.

how do you mess up an intake?
Old 04-07-2004, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by luckee2bhere
WOW...maybe you should never try to do anything to your car ever again.

how do you mess up an intake?
Hmm....did you bother to read the thread or did you figure you would just pop on it and offer.................nothing. I did,nt figure I messed up, it just isnt performing as i expected and wanted some insight from people who have something offer....unlike yourself.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:22 AM
be the change u want2C

Proove what your saying, and I wanna see this!
Old 05-05-2004, 04:23 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by ImStockBaby
I have the exact intake as you... Tonight I tried somethin different by taking off the bottom pipe and attaching the filter element right after the MAF, now it sits behind the cooling fan. I also have the cooling fan mod, I went for a test drive, leaving the fans on, and honestly it feels 10x better than with the extra piping.. WAY BETTER.. give it a try. I will try to get some pics of what i'm talking about tomorrow.

-Terry

got a pic of that yet?
Old 05-05-2004, 06:22 PM
Banned

i did that too. only problem i found is the filter is 3 inches from the engine. aka hot air. i find stock is the best.

blah blah

its just a damn intake.

the only reason we have them is for sound.

if anyone thinks otherwise your silly and wrong and fooling yourself.

an aftermarket air intake never made a difference in any 1/4 mile run i know of.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:50 PM
BOSS

Originally Posted by Torgus
i did that too. only problem i found is the filter is 3 inches from the engine. aka hot air. i find stock is the best.

blah blah

its just a damn intake.

the only reason we have them is for sound.

if anyone thinks otherwise your silly and wrong and fooling yourself.

an aftermarket air intake never made a difference in any 1/4 mile run i know of.

FINALLY SOME F*CKING HONESTY ON THIS FORUM

Old 05-05-2004, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by LastBoyScout
LOL!
I always laugh at peeps debating the CAI, HAI, and Hybrid setups.....

Best thing for the Max without a MEVI is a Hacked airbox.

I tested out the stock box, the CAI and the Hacked airbox. I felt the best responses from the Hacked Airbox. Great stop launches, plenty of passing power when i want it.

easiest thing i can say to do is to sell that CAI on ebay, and then take a look at my webpage and look at how to hack an airbox. Just click the www button below this post.

Also, once you try how i did it, you can hack it futher like i have mine now by cutting away everthing but the bolt mounting holes and plastic to connect it to the lip that holds the top part of the box and filter together. I also left the side with the cold air scoop entrance. This way, i get some cold air, and some heat reflection. So i get cold air at faster speeds which helps high end, and hot air at rest which helps low end torque.

turbo or mevi with CAI is only time i would use.

Hey wheres your picture of your hacked airbox. I am interested.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:57 PM

Dude I know exactly what you are talking about. After I installed my intake some times my car would just freak out and have no power. It ran like complete ****. I would let it sit for a while and it would stop. It did that for like a month but than it just stoped doing it. It was weird. I posted about this but nobody else had ever seemed to have the same problem. I checked and double checked, and checked agin. I had everything installed the same as I do now and my car runs fine now. It just freaked for a while. Hope this help
Old 05-06-2004, 03:36 AM

With all of the dynos I've seen on the org with CAI's, its been proven that they have that terrible drop in power above 5500 rpms. The hybrids hold a better power curve but you also lose a little low end.

I got rid of my hybrid setup and went back to the stock resonator with the Apexi filter. It's been proven that resonators are good for making low end power on NA engines.