4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cattman Y-pipe installed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2001, 10:41 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I just had my Cattman SS y-pipe installed and I love it. Before I ordered it, I had two fears: that it would buzz and that it would be loud. Luckily, neither of those fears came true. The pipe does not buzz at all (either in forward gears or Reverse) and it's very quiet. My Stillen intake is much louder than the y-pipe and even with the windows down you can barely hear it (the rest of my exhaust is bone-stock). I haven't disconnected the battery yet (to reset the ECU), I'll do that when I get home from work.
Old 03-20-2001, 12:43 PM

That's exactly what I want to hear

I'm planning on getting the Cattman Y-pipe soon. In addition, I'm going to do my b-pipe too and possible use a 2000 Maxima muffler. Other than that, I want it to be quiet with great gains.
Old 03-20-2001, 12:55 PM

It took me 2 years to order my y-pipe

I wanted one of the original stainless Cattman pipes but I waited for the new version (with the flex joint) as I didn't want the infamous buzzing sounds. I'm looking at the B-pipe now (Courtesy has it for $189). I've never really examined my exhaust system before today and after seeing all the crimps in the stock b-pipe, I can see how the Courtesy unit could be of great benefit.
Old 03-20-2001, 02:34 PM
ajaffee

Originally posted by ItchyRichy
I just had my Cattman SS y-pipe installed and I love it. Before I ordered it, I had two fears: that it would buzz and that it would be loud. Luckily, neither of those fears came true. The pipe does not buzz at all (either in forward gears or Reverse) and it's very quiet. My Stillen intake is much louder than the y-pipe and even with the windows down you can barely hear it (the rest of my exhaust is bone-stock). I haven't disconnected the battery yet (to reset the ECU), I'll do that when I get home from work.
Did you do the install yourself? If not, how much did you pay to have it done?

Old 03-20-2001, 04:04 PM

I paid $75 to have it done

I figured it was worth the $$ as I didn't feel like crawling under the car and fighting with every rusted bolt. I looked up "exhaust" in the yellow pages and went to the first place that answered the phone (there are no speed shops nearby that I'm aware of).
The installer did a great job (he only does custom exhaust and was very impressed with the pipe) and it took him 1.5 hours (his rate was $50 an hour). He had to heat 8 of the ten bolts to get them free (the only ones he didn't have to heat were the 2 that attached the middle of the stock y-pipe to the chassis).
Old 03-20-2001, 04:33 PM

Re: I paid $75 to have it done

Originally posted by ItchyRichy
I figured it was worth the $$ as I didn't feel like crawling under the car and fighting with every rusted bolt. I looked up "exhaust" in the yellow pages and went to the first place that answered the phone (there are no speed shops nearby that I'm aware of).
The installer did a great job (he only does custom exhaust and was very impressed with the pipe) and it took him 1.5 hours (his rate was $50 an hour). He had to heat 8 of the ten bolts to get them free (the only ones he didn't have to heat were the 2 that attached the middle of the stock y-pipe to the chassis).
The pipe is definitely well made, with excellent welding, etc. . .; however, the fitting was pathetic. Imagine, the two ends of the y were off by 3/8 of an inch! I had to use a 2 1/2 ton jack to bend the pipe to fit.

Overall, happy with the purchase.

Just a side note, I have a Greddy catback, and the combinations is VERY loud!!