4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ECU 05-05- and knocking in the clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 10:18 AM

ECU 05-05- and knocking in the clutch?

So Lately when Driving I head like a knocking kind of sound, kinda light like a hollow knock, doesnt sound like things are getting bashed in there, but enough of a noise to cause concern, I'm sure its in the clutch because I hear the noise when I step in the clutch, at first ( in 1st) sometimes when changing to 2nd, rarely 3rd but mostly when stepping in the clutch with the first 2 gears.

So I was going to make an appointment with my dealership to check it out, cause I cant tell what it is, then when dirving to my friend house last night, check engine light came on,

I check the codes, and it read 05-05, which is strange cause that means nothing is wrong. Does that really mean nothing is wrong, or can it not tell?

Has anyone gotten a code 05-05 out of nowhere, without having done any modification to their car?

whats going on?

thanks
Old 04-10-2004, 01:49 PM

anyone? or should I just let it go since its an 05 05 code? but then why would that code pop up for no reason?
Old 04-10-2004, 03:34 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

well check the ecu again if the light is still there, did u clear it out? if it comes back check again and this time just pay more attention to it. as far as the clutch you should have it checked out just because without it you won't be going too far! good luck, post more questions if you got'em
Old 04-11-2004, 04:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've driven home w/no clutch before.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:38 AM

Thanks for the advice, I will check the ECU again, I havent seen the light since, but I think I didnt reset it properly, the screw was weird because it didnt get any resistance to stop, I just stoped after a few rotation and figured this should be good enough.

Will check again and post results, maybe record the results. As for the clutch I'm going to hopefully get that checked out either tommorow or thursday.

sryth - how did you drive home with no clutch? did u get a good push and rode that home? or you talknig about actual accerlation and breaqking?
Old 04-12-2004, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the advice, I will check the ECU again, I havent seen the light since, but I think I didnt reset it properly, the screw was weird because it didnt get any resistance to stop, I just stoped after a few rotation and figured this should be good enough.

Will check again and post results, maybe record the results. As for the clutch I'm going to hopefully get that checked out either tommorow or thursday.

sryth - how did you drive home with no clutch? did u get a good push and rode that home? or you talknig about actual accerlation and breaking?
Old 04-12-2004, 01:46 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

yea ur ecu screw might be messed up, that sux, but hopefully the code doesnt come back, even if it does, i dont believe there is a code for a clutch problem... so it would be something else wrong
Old 04-12-2004, 02:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hey, about the ECU screw, my car would show any codes if it wasan't properly tie.
Go down to the ECU again and very lightily try to rotate the srew until you feel a very small lock (that should be the right place) try to get that screw in place.
BTW how many times did you count the error (0505) code before you reset it,maybe you miscounted and missed one of the blincks. (I did that on my first time doing the self check)

Gui
Old 04-12-2004, 03:10 PM

knocking noise in clutch is usually not a good thing and probably will not show up as a code. thats my 2 cents
Old 04-12-2004, 09:07 PM
slackass

I have the same knock in 1st and 2nd gears...rarely third

i was thinking it was an axle issue b/c i just did a cluch job and i cant imagine what would make the noise i am hearing. now transmission...thats a possibility.

If you find out please msg me and let me know. because your problem sounds exactly like the one i have at the moment.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Use the starter to get you rolling in 1st gear, from there you need to power shift.

Not the preferred way of driving, but if you only got a few miles to get home it beats a tow
Old 04-13-2004, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by sryth
Use the starter to get you rolling in 1st gear, from there you need to power shift.

Not the preferred way of driving, but if you only got a few miles to get home it beats a tow
I can still drive fine, it doesnt really affect performance of the car, I just hear that knocking sound.

Originally Posted by nismos14

yea ur ecu screw might be messed up, that sux, but hopefully the code doesnt come back, even if it does, i dont believe there is a code for a clutch problem... so it would be something else wrong
Is there a way for me to fix the screw? would I need to replace it or is it a complex job?

Originally Posted by Guinader

hey, about the ECU screw, my car would show any codes if it wasan't properly tie.
Go down to the ECU again and very lightily try to rotate the srew until you feel a very small lock (that should be the right place) try to get that screw in place.
BTW how many times did you count the error (0505) code before you reset it,maybe you miscounted and missed one of the blincks. (I did that on my first time doing the self check)

Gui
I will try with the light turning, I double checked, when I first read the code, I had already knew what 05-05 meant from reading here on the forums, so I did it again to make sure. so it was a definate 05-05 code.

Originally Posted by mymaxlvsattn

I have the same knock in 1st and 2nd gears...rarely third

i was thinking it was an axle issue b/c i just did a cluch job and i cant imagine what would make the noise i am hearing. now transmission...thats a possibility.

If you find out please msg me and let me know. because your problem sounds exactly like the one i have at the moment.
I will let you know I have an appointment with them friday and I will post as soon as I'm done with them to let you know.