4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Are rusty rotors bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 08:19 PM

Are rusty rotors bad?

My front rotors are all rusty (stock) and I can hear some squealing when braking at low speeds but my friend, a mechanic, said just dust particles are causing the squeal. He didn't take them apart or anything, just looked at it. What's going on with my brakes - do the rotors have anything to do with it?
Old 04-10-2004, 08:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

rust on brakes usually doesn't matter, unless of course it is on the part that actually touches the brake pad. However, this is usually only caused by not driving the vehicle for a extended period of time (few weeks) and with the first moderate-heavy braking performed on them, it clears all the rust away, leaving a decent surface underneath (when this happens, you'll hear quite a bit of squeaking/squeeling for the first few stops). If your mechanic says it is ok, and you are not noticing brake shudder (car shaking while braking) or any other problems, chances are its normal.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:34 PM

or you could take them to an autoshop and get them cut
Old 04-10-2004, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by mdwst51
My front rotors are all rusty (stock) and I can hear some squealing when braking at low speeds but my friend, a mechanic, said just dust particles are causing the squeal. He didn't take them apart or anything, just looked at it. What's going on with my brakes - do the rotors have anything to do with it?
All rotors rust eventually. I have the Stillen ones, and even they have started to show signs of rust.

Don't worry about it. The Maxima's brakes are known to squeak...I find that a liberal application of the anti squeal goo works wonders. Just make sure that your shims and such are in good shape and put some anti squeal goo in there and you should be good to go.

Dust particles? Well, maybe...but all brakes dust, don't they?
Old 04-10-2004, 08:46 PM

I'll search out the anti-squeal after work tomorrow, thanks.

He said something about filing the rotors down for me, exact words "make them like new" for $40. I just got my tax return so I have about $500 to spend (not all on brakes!) ..am I better off filing them or buying an aftermarket kit?
Old 04-10-2004, 09:05 PM

I sprayd my rotors with engine enamal and it worked for me, except for the part the caliper touched b/c it scraped the paint off. But it will scrape the rust off if you jsut ride the brakes for a little bit.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by mdwst51
I'll search out the anti-squeal after work tomorrow, thanks.

He said something about filing the rotors down for me, exact words "make them like new" for $40. I just got my tax return so I have about $500 to spend (not all on brakes!) ..am I better off filing them or buying an aftermarket kit?
Eh...well, if it were my car I would dissamble the brakes and clean all of the parts with brake cleaner. Then I would apply some anti squeal goo to the backs of the shims. After the goo has set for 10 mins or so I would then reassemble everything. Doing all of this gives me the chance to inspect all the parts and replace them as necessary. If you've never taken your brakes apart before, it's not that hard. Here is a good write up on it... http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/300

I doubt a $40 rotor 'filing' will solve your problem, but since I can't see your setup firsthand I don't know for sure.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:13 PM

All rotors rust....after they are ground down by the pads, they become very sensitive to the elements(i.e. moisture). If you will notice on brand new cars, go to a lot and look at the rotors. Unless they have just driven the cars, they will probably have rust on them. It is a thin layer and gets scrubbed off as soon as you brake the first time. That is how it is here anyway.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:12 PM
SHIFT_PANTS

I feel brake shuddering/vibrate a bit under firm braking and under normal braking it squeaks/squeals, make noise. What would be the cause of this? It's been doin it for awhile and can't figure out what's wrong.

does anyone know what is happening?

Much appriciation
Old 04-13-2004, 09:18 PM
2060lbs and falling...

I recently did a project similar to bigherm033. Check my homepage for details. I had a fairly rusty rotor and decided it was necessary. Rusting on a rotor does not effect stopping if its not on the stoping surface. I does slowly eat away at your rotor but I doubt the rate of rust will overcome the rotor eating rate of even stock pads. I definitely suggest painting your brakes a nice subtle color. Also, while your in there I suggest removing the dust shield to look better and be lighter.
I have decided now that it is the best and cheapest exterior mods that can be done. I don't have finished product pics yet because its dark now. I'll post them tomorrow.

Brake shuddering can be caused by lots of things. Everything from stuck or sticky caliper pins to uneven rotors(warped, cracked, etc...). What do they look like? You have to tell use what it looks like if you want us to help you diagnose. Not being rude here.