4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

$ 3,500 from Uncle Sam

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 09:33 AM

$ 3,500 from Uncle Sam

I got a special gift cummin from uncle sam and I don't know where to begin! I feel like a kid in a toy store and my parents keep saying "Yes you can have that too!" What do you guys think? Where should one start? I guess O2 sensors and cleanin out my EGR lines would be a start since my CEL is on and giving me "EGR flow malfunction" from my OBDII reader. What would you guys do next?
Old 04-12-2004, 09:41 AM
Kevlo for President

Turbo vs. Supercharger

Hmmm....
Old 04-12-2004, 09:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Turbo the max! You will have nearly any amount of HP/TQ you could want, that would beat any other's daily driver. But seriously, research the turno system available from CustomMaxima; its pretty good quality and the price is not bad. BOOST!!!!;;;...
Old 04-12-2004, 10:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Is that your Uncle Sam or OUR Uncle Sam? If that is OUR Uncle Sam, then that is not a gift, he is just returning the money that you lent him all year free of interest.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:26 AM
Old Maxima Legend

i would be getting TURBO , wouldnt even think twice about it ! have fun !
Old 04-12-2004, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
i would be getting TURBO , wouldnt even think twice about it ! have fun !

TRUST me its a gift Aren't there mods I need to do before just slapping a turbo in it? Like performance items that will support the turbo?
Old 04-12-2004, 03:59 PM

do u have ypipe bpipe, catback, muffler, mevi, underdrive pulley, ecu, cai, suspension, tranny cooler , drop resister, racing tor converter, dam the lists justs goes on man
Old 04-12-2004, 04:22 PM

If i were you i would get boosted (supercharger/turbo) since you have all the money together right now. Then if you have any money left over or get money soon go with a new clutch you'll need it.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:25 PM

ACT Stage 2 clutch if I were you
Old 04-12-2004, 04:30 PM
BOSS

WTF? One would need WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than $3500 to turbo a Max PROPERLY

Hello, the kit itself is $4699 from CustomMaxima for instance - and that's the sh!tty, non-intercooled one too. On top of that, the kit already blew 2 engines so there

Plus, what about all the other necessary mods one's gotta do especially with a Turbo?

Provided you wanted to do it right, it would take at least $6000 and that's if you do it urself.

Lastly, it's not like you just slap on a turbo over night and go. Take a look at the MKIV Supra forums and see what the owners go through when upgrading to a bigger, better turbo in an already turbo-charged vehicle. Read their stories and you'll know what I mean.

I leave you with this:

BOOSTED MAXIMA = BROKEN MAXIMA

Old 04-12-2004, 04:31 PM

on Boost. WIsh Uncle same had given me that much back.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:03 PM

werd we got some heavy *** compression engines even if u run boost u gotta run it low, which makes no point unless u love the bov sound like me im a fanatic for an hks seq2
Old 04-12-2004, 05:06 PM

Vooooooortec Supa Chargaaaaaaa
Old 04-12-2004, 05:17 PM
brotherhood of tq

u could buy me a voooooortec supa chargaaaaaa
Old 04-12-2004, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by BOSS

Hello, the kit itself is $4699 from CustomMaxima for instance - and that's the sh!tty, non-intercooled one too. On top of that, the kit already blew 2 engines so there

Plus, what about all the other necessary mods one's gotta do especially with a Turbo?

Provided you wanted to do it right, it would take at least $6000 and that's if you do it urself.

Lastly, it's not like you just slap on a turbo over night and go. Take a look at the MKIV Supra forums and see what the owners go through when upgrading to a bigger, better turbo in an already turbo-charged vehicle. Read their stories and you'll know what I mean.

I leave you with this:

Thanx man, that was the info I was really lookin for, so it cant be done properly for less than $6 g's....No need to buy a clutch becuz she's automagic...I guess I'll go with the simple upgrades startin with intake, y pipe, and exhaust. I'm totally clueless on which order to go, I dont usually post, I just remain quiet and go through all the topix!
Old 04-12-2004, 05:25 PM

sell ur 4th gen and buy a 5th gen max.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by MaxxAddict
sell ur 4th gen and buy a 5th gen max.
Thought about it, but the the 4th gen is paid for and I'm likin not havin a car payment....I just recently did alot of exterior mods to the SEL and just began to see why we love our 4th gens. So, I'm gonna stick around for awhile first...ALTHOUGH I do likes the 2002 5th gen titanium edition w/six speed and navigation!!! That car is SCHWEEEET
Old 04-12-2004, 05:44 PM

NX is one thing.....then there is the UDP, internals of the VQ so u have a less of a chance on blowing ur motor and u could run more boost and be safe....carbon hood and some other things i would consider before tha catualy Boost.....also a good exhaust system for the turbo...
Old 04-12-2004, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by My4DSC
Thanx man, that was the info I was really lookin for, so it cant be done properly for less than $6 g's....No need to buy a clutch becuz she's automagic...I guess I'll go with the simple upgrades startin with intake, y pipe, and exhaust. I'm totally clueless on which order to go, I dont usually post, I just remain quiet and go through all the topix!
if ur not going to Boost, get ur self the cai, Y pipe, B pipe, Udp, NX, Apexi SAFC, high flow cat, Mevi....and so on...
Old 04-12-2004, 05:58 PM

Dude just go to pfispeed.com. They have a sweet *** intercooled kit there for 4500 dollars. And if you can drive to colorado he will install it for that price. And garuntee his work. There's like 10-15 maxima's that drive around every day safely and reliably with this kit. I would so for that with out a second thought.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:47 PM
aka UNCDooD

i would stroke the motor, get the heads worked, some cams, JWT ECU, MEVI and a a much stronger 5 speed tranny would get built. but then again that would probably take up all of that $3500 and then some.

I would definitely do cams, JWT ECU, MEVI and JIC FLT-A2's.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:58 PM

I got a special gift cummin from uncle sam and I don't know where to begin! I feel like a kid in a toy store and my parents keep saying "Yes you can have that too!" What do you guys think? Where should one start? I guess O2 sensors and cleanin out my EGR lines would be a start since my CEL is on and giving me "EGR flow malfunction" from my OBDII reader. What would you guys do next?
Put that money into an IRA or something man! Just because you get a few bucks doesn't mean you have to blow it on a car. Ya, spend a few dollars to lightly mod the car (y-pipe, suspension, etc) and have some fun, but for the love of God don't blow it all on a car!

Now I sound like my dad...
Old 04-12-2004, 08:09 PM
BOSS

Originally Posted by Creamyitalian
Put that money into an IRA or something man! Just because you get a few bucks doesn't mean you have to blow it on a car. Ya, spend a few dollars to lightly mod the car (y-pipe, suspension, etc) and have some fun, but for the love of God don't blow it all on a car!

No, you sound like the only commonsensical person around here.

Old 04-12-2004, 08:19 PM

No, you sound like the only commonsensical person around here.
You know, when I was 18 I would have been all to happy to blow thousands on some mods (not that I had that kinda money), but now, only a few years later, I realize there are more important things. That's why I'll probably sell the max, get an old civic, pay off my student loans and stop trying to be a boy racer.

So why am I trying to get a group deal on an ECU?!!?? Gotta have a little fun I guess.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:09 PM

You know, when I was 18 I would have been all to happy to blow thousands on some mods (not that I had that kinda money), but now, only a few years later, I realize there are more important things. That's why I'll probably sell the max, get an old civic, pay off my student loans and stop trying to be a boy racer.

So why am I trying to get a group deal on an ECU?!!?? Gotta have a little fun I guess.
You'll never leave the darkside, boy!!!!
MAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 04-12-2004, 10:31 PM
DoGGy

i would never drop a turbo or sc under my hood.

if i had $3500 right now, id get a set of 19" rims. stillen bodykit, a drop and full exhaust

Old 04-13-2004, 04:53 AM
Kevlo for President

Guys, he has a 99--that means NO ECU!

Drop it, Y-pipe, UDP, Bullet PROOF AUTO with vb mod or switch to 5-speed. Get new cams. Upgrade the interior if needed. Get SFC's too.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:10 AM

I leave you with this:

Thank you, as much as I would love to turbo my max, I dont our cars are the best to turbo, I would rather purchase turbo vehicle, or do it to a 240
Old 04-13-2004, 09:09 AM

man your gonna need a LOT more money to go boosted. Just think about it

1. Engine rebuild with stronger internals (unless u like to break stuff then just leave it)

2. turbo = 4900 means your 1400 in the hole

3. supercharger is not intercooled and I bet an intercooler kit would put u in the hole.

Just do what everybody else is sayin Keep it N/A
Old 04-13-2004, 11:59 AM
formz

"cummin?" What are you 12 years old?

Old 04-13-2004, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by formz
"cummin?" What are you 12 years old?
Since you didn't seem to quite understand, lets simplify, cummin=coming, better? And age has what to do with it? We change spellings for words ALL the time...its called EBONIX=EBONICS So calm down dood, or dewd, or for you, dude!
Old 04-13-2004, 12:30 PM

yea man, SS is going to be gone in like 20 years...its all about the roth IRA.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:51 PM

if anything, work on that tranny of yours .... automatic ..... yuck those things should be illegal!

Seriously though, don't blow it all at once, else you'll be sad come three weeks from now when you are out of cash, and the mods get old ... Do it slowly, and keep it more interesting!

Also, consider $3500 = one darn nice hooker for a lovely evening, something else to consider ..
Old 04-13-2004, 01:12 PM
formz

Since you didn't seem to quite understand, lets simplify, cummin=coming, better? And age has what to do with it? We change spellings for words ALL the time...its called EBONIX=EBONICS So calm down dood, or dewd, or for you, dude!
Ok apparently you're pretty ignorant and don't even know what cumming is. So I'll just leave it at that.

Old 04-13-2004, 01:20 PM

Ok apparently you're pretty ignorant and don't even know what cumming is. So I'll just leave it at that.
I know EXACTLY wut cummin is crackhead...I do it everyday, sumtimes 3 times a day! Everyone else understood what cummin was used for in that paragraph, y cant you just get the F*#$@% point. Who's ignorant now?
Old 04-13-2004, 01:47 PM
formz

Um, by the way you're acting it's most definitely you.

Old 04-13-2004, 02:01 PM

Um, by the way you're acting it's most definitely you.

Let me make this simple for you, if you didnt have anything positive or helpful to add to the thread then you shouldve kept your lame comments to yourself. Noone wants to argue back and forth with you tankhead! So save yourself the trouble of TRYING to insult me, becuz I CAN go ALL day. But seriously, stop WHORIN up my thread!
Old 04-13-2004, 02:30 PM

Your dad sounds like a smart man. At work, most of the single young people I know who don't up the exemptions to break even and increase the net pay, get refunds double that. That's because of the sick mortgage payments which are mostly interest right now, and $3000 losses from stocks. I dunno, in the latest Sopranos Steve Buschemy blew 12 grand in no time--doesn't anyone feel in the least bit that he was unwise? Money can go either way, grow quickly, or disappear in a heartbeat. But when the sun goes down, the most important thing a person can do is make himself happy.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:39 PM
formz

Let me make this simple for you, if you didnt have anything positive or helpful to add to the thread then you shouldve kept your lame comments to yourself. Noone wants to argue back and forth with you tankhead! So save yourself the trouble of TRYING to insult me, becuz I CAN go ALL day. But seriously, stop WHORIN up my thread!
I'll remember that next time some one makes a joke I thought 6th graders were too mature for.