4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Engine Venting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2001, 04:32 PM

Hello-

My "Service Engine Soon" light has been coming on and going off for the past few weeks. the day I took it ot the dealer, the light was off and they could find no problems (it seemed like it was having trouble starting to me).

Anyway, the light came back on tonight. I was attempting to get the car filled with gas and it kept poping the handle on the pump.... like it was full. It would take about a half gallon, then the pump would stop. the gas station manager said that it might be the ENGINE VENTING SOLINOID. Anyone ever have this problem or know where I could find some info?

Many thanks,
Tom
Old 03-22-2001, 06:23 AM

bump!

Anyone?
Old 03-22-2001, 06:57 AM

Pull the engine code......

Originally posted by skinsfan44
Hello-

My "Service Engine Soon" light has been coming on and going off for the past few weeks. the day I took it ot the dealer, the light was off and they could find no problems (it seemed like it was having trouble starting to me).

Anyway, the light came back on tonight. I was attempting to get the car filled with gas and it kept poping the handle on the pump.... like it was full. It would take about a half gallon, then the pump would stop. the gas station manager said that it might be the ENGINE VENTING SOLINOID. Anyone ever have this problem or know where I could find some info?

Many thanks,
Tom
cause it sounds like it is related to the EVAP Canistor or one of it,s related components.
Old 03-22-2001, 07:05 AM
ajaffee

Hello-

Many thanks,
Tom
Never heard of an Engine Venting Solenoid. I've had this happen at the pump with both my Jeep and Boat - (never Max though). As far as I know this is just a faulty pump. Just my two cents.

Old 03-22-2001, 07:06 AM

Hope Dan doesn,t get mad at me......

Hello-

. You will find instructions to do a DTC readout and reset the Check Engine light at:
http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecu.html

The DTC "translations" are found at:
http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecudecoder.html

I learned how to use the "cut and paste" feature and I stole these instructions from his post. Sorry Dan, just trying to help out someone.
Old 03-22-2001, 08:38 AM

Thank you!

Thank you all very much. I wish I knew that engine code trick before I made an appointment with my dealer (Freehold Nissan in NJ) for later today... Well, at least I now have the info for the future.

ajaffee- It was not the pump, definitely the car. I not only tried a different pump (poor kid, it was pouring out last night), but a different gas station as well. Got the same problem

I will post back here tonight with the results... assuming they can diagnose/fix it.

99 SE with 126,000 miles Anyone got me beat in the milage depatment?
Old 03-22-2001, 08:42 AM
ajaffee

Re: Thank you!

Thank you all very much. I wish I knew that engine code trick before I made an appointment with my dealer (Freehold Nissan in NJ) for later today... Well, at least I now have the info for the future.

ajaffee- It was not the pump, definitely the car. I not only tried a different pump (poor kid, it was pouring out last night), but a different gas station as well. Got the same problem

I will post back here tonight with the results... assuming they can diagnose/fix it.

99 SE with 126,000 miles Anyone got me beat in the milage depatment?
I'll be interestind in what they say.

Old 03-22-2001, 09:52 AM

Re: Hope Dan doesn,t get mad at me......

Originally posted by dch95
You will find instructions to do a DTC readout and reset the Check Engine light at:
http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecu.html

The DTC "translations" are found at:
http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecudecoder.html

I learned how to use the "cut and paste" feature and I stole these instructions from his post. Sorry Dan, just trying to help out someone.
No offense, no objection at all. We are here to share knowledge. I didn't post to this thread earlier because I never heard of an Engine Venting Solenoid. Maybe Nissan has the same part with a different name.

Ajaffee blamed the filling station pump, not the car. I agree.
Old 03-22-2001, 09:56 AM
ajaffee

Re: Re: Hope Dan doesn,t get mad at me......

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
No offense, no objection at all. We are here to share knowledge. I didn't post to this thread earlier because I never heard of an Engine Venting Solenoid. Maybe Nissan has the same part with a different name.

Skinsfan44 blamed the filling station pump, not the car. I agree.
"Skinsfan44 blamed the filling station pump, not the car. I agree. [/B][/QUOTE]"

That was me. But Skinsfan44 said he tried it on different pumps and the same thing happened. I'll be interested in finding out what the Dealer says (not that it will be right necessarily). I still kind of expect this to be the pumps. I've never heard of a vehicle causing this to happen.

Old 03-22-2001, 10:15 AM

"Skinsfan44 blamed the filling station pump, not the car. I agree."

My bad. I wasn't clear... but no, I wasn't blaming the pumps... If I was doing that, I would go to a gas pump board

It is definitely the car.

I wish I used Google to find this board a year ago. Learned more here in the past 2 days reading through all your posts... you guys are great.

Details on dealers diagnosis to follow tonight.
Old 03-22-2001, 03:45 PM

THE END

OK, just back from the dealer. It was indeed a faulty "Vent Control Valve".

The part was $51.08, the labor was $185.59. Seems awfully excessive on the labor charges, but at least I got my baby back in shape.

Thanks again everyone.