4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Evaluation: Raybestos QS and how they perform thusfar

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 08:43 AM

Evaluation: Raybestos QS and how they perform thusfar

I put some Raybestos Quiet Stop brake pads on my 99 Maxima about a week ago. Let me tell you what I think so far, and keep you all posted, so that maybe someone can learn something from this:

Good looking, meaty pad looks like it will bite the rotor hard. I have heard good reviews about this pad.

From the name, QuietStop, I inferred that it would be quiet. However, from my experience, I have noticed nothing of the sort. They have been nothing but loud for me. Unless things change, they should be called Raybestos sQueakStop. These have been the loudest brake pads I have ever owned on any car. I mean, I know that some squeak is immenant, but this is too much.

I know what you are thinking....Did he not use the brake shims? Well, yes, as a matter of fact, I did. With the Raybestos SqueakStops comes some shims that adhere to the back of the pad leaving no room for the shims that come on the car stock.

I know what else you are thinking....Did he not use that goo that you put on the back of the pads? Well, I did that too. I actually used a ton, just to be sure.

I am coming off of using some EBC Greenstuff pads, and I thought I was not all that impressed with them for certain reasons listed below:
1. They were really expensive....like $65 or so....
2. They dusted a lot...

Now that I have put these Raybestos SqueakStops on here, I am thinking that the EBC's were not all that bad.
1. They had great stopping power...
2. They lasted a full year with pretty heavy braking and 25,000 miles put on them...mixed city/hwy.
3. They didn't hardly ever squeak. I mean, I don't really ever recall them making any noise.

Positive things about the Rabestos though:
1. Relatively cheap for aftermarket brakes
2. Good stopping power
3. So far, appear to be low dusting

Nonetheless, I have put these on and I will see what is going on with them in weeks to come. I will give updates on how they are performing. I am not one to waste things, and I guess I will just have to put up with some embarrassing squeaking for a while, unless they get better.

Please post your comments just on these brake pads, and any experiences you might have with them. Also, if you think there is anything that I did not do that you think if I did it would help, please tell me. I have changed a lot of brake pads in the past and I don't think it is a matter of me not doing something. I just think it might be the pads.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:48 AM

Did you get your rotors cut, or just left them as is? i didn't cut my rotors which will get done next week and i have a bad rear caliper so it still has the old pads in it, which will also get fixed next week. So far, i haven't been too satisfied with the Squeak Stops. They are rather noisy, and the stopping power isn't that great, but it might be from the rotors. I hope after i fix everything, they will turn out to be a good set of pads, cause i really don't want to have to get new pads so soon because of that obnoxious squealing. It is some of the worse i have heard on my cars.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:03 AM

I would recommend not getting rotors "cut" or "turned." From my experience and other's too, the Max's rotors are too thin, and will warp soon thereafter if you do. I did this and they warped in 1k miles. Just get new rotors and you will be glad you did.

Get some OEM-style blanks for like $20/ea at a local parts store.

I don't think that is it at all. These are fairly new rotors and have never given me any trouble. They are not even worn, I checked them when I put on new pads.

Thanks for the comment.

Bring on the other comments.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:05 AM
Kevlo for President

I have these pads and they are fairly quiet.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:13 AM

Any other comments, kevlo, that could attest to why mine are not?

Everything else about them, I like. Just too noisy!
Old 04-16-2004, 11:17 AM
I'm needing a caw

Did you thoughly clean all the areas that the pad "ears" slide on?? The pad slides back/forth on the ears/slots in the caliper housings when you step on the brake.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:06 PM

I am pretty sure that I cleaned everything pretty good. At the same time I replaced the brake pads, I cleaned the whole caliper and housing and painted my calipers.
That is a good suggestion though. I might check it tomorrow to see if I can wipe it off a little and get it to stop squeaking.

thanks, Jeff......

keep the comments coming...
Old 04-16-2004, 12:14 PM

Hey Brudaddy, i forgot to update you but I got my brakes installed on tuesday. I didn't notice any squeaking, and I love the way the Raybestos Quietstops work. Well, I'm a happy consumer and thanks for the recommendation. But I'll keep on updating too, to see if anything goes wrong or right. Okay bye.
Old 04-16-2004, 03:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

installed QS's in my front and back disc brakes separately withing a 6 month period and no squeaks. For my rears i put on the napa anti squeak brake lube, whatever you call it and for my fronts, I just used petroleum jelly on the edges and pistons whatever parts would move when the piston would be moved. No Squeaks yet (knock on wood) had the rears on for over half a year and the fronts for over a month. The stopping power could be better but it maybe my rotors.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:47 PM

I've put about 20K on my quiet stops without a peep
Old 04-19-2004, 08:39 AM

Update:

I have been riding on these Raybestos for 2 weeks now, and I must say they seem to be getting a little better.

This week, I noticed that there was less squeal to them. I don't know if it is just because they are getting more broken in or what, but they are doing better.

Keep the comments coming.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:21 AM

Last night, I was going down a hill and I noticed that these brake pads felt like they were slipping. And i read in another thread that QS aren't made for hard braking? So I dunno what to think of this, if there was anytime that I need to brake really fast and it doesn't stop fast enough then I'd have to say that QS aren't great brakes.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:55 AM

hmmmm.....interesting.
I have not heard that kind of thing about them.
I am just worried about always being embarrassed by having a sweet maxima that flies by you and then when we pull back up to the other light, I squeak the whole time I am braking. ha ha ha.
I don't autocross though.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:46 PM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by PeTeRtheEaTeR
Last night, I was going down a hill and I noticed that these brake pads felt like they were slipping. And i read in another thread that QS aren't made for hard braking? So I dunno what to think of this, if there was anytime that I need to brake really fast and it doesn't stop fast enough then I'd have to say that QS aren't great brakes.

Well I have these and they have have stopped me from getting in an accident before. Some idiot on her cellphone in a big a$$ SUV pulls out in front of me on a major highway and I had to slam on the brake and the brakes stopped the car very quick and smooth.
I am going to keep using these pads. I like htem alot.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:46 PM

Thanks for the input, kevlo.

Old 04-21-2004, 09:08 PM

I've had the Raybestos QS for half a year, and they are very quiet on mine. I've heard a couple of squeaks sometimes, but they weren't very audible. However, when they were first put on (shop did it), it squeaked very loudly for about a week in city driving, and was constant whenever I braked. After that though, the sounds went away.

During the first month, my brakes also vibrated at slow speeds, as if something was biting really roughly on my rotors. But, again, that's gone now. So, I don't know if the shop messed up installing it or what.

Either way, they're quiet now, and generate absolutely NO BRAKE DUST at all. My rims stay shiny for the longest time.

I do want to say though, I don't think these pads bite really good, especially when the weather is cold. The ones I used to have (i'm not sure what they were) had a much better initial bite, although if I do press down harder with the Raybestos, they stop the car good too. The initial bite bothers me a little bit, but I'd still go with them because of their low brake dust attribute.

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
Thanks for the input, kevlo.

Old 04-22-2004, 12:05 AM

i have no squeeks.. very little dust.. but my oem pads feel like that had more stopping power.. espicially on the initial bite..
Old 04-22-2004, 12:06 AM

i've noticed too that whenever i'm going down a steep hill by myself or with other people in the car, it just doesn't feel like it want's to stop very well. so far, after getting my caliper replaced and cutting the rotors, they have quieted up quite a bit. haven't really tested them yet to let them break into the rotors up front, but i'll find out soon enough how they will perform.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:48 AM

yeah i think OEMs the best, but it's just that it's so expensive. At the dealer, they charge like 85 a pair. Jeez, I got the QS for less than 80 for all four.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:23 AM

A question for you, did you "brake" them in properly? Get going 50 and brake hard to 5, 40-5, 30-5. then drive around to let them cool. I installed the QS and did this for breaking them in and have had no noise at all.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:36 AM
Hella internets

Originally Posted by A32Matt
i've noticed too that whenever i'm going down a steep hill by myself or with other people in the car, it just doesn't feel like it want's to stop very well. so far, after getting my caliper replaced and cutting the rotors, they have quieted up quite a bit. haven't really tested them yet to let them break into the rotors up front, but i'll find out soon enough how they will perform.
how is it with your rotors turned? i think mine are in need of getting turned but all this talk about waisting your money is backing me off..im about to just buy new from rotors...

how long have u been driving with them turned? any problems?
Old 04-22-2004, 09:02 AM

Well, XeroX, I drove 1k miles after I turned my rotars before they warped. I woud suggest just spending a little more, and getting new ones if they are warped. I found them for like $20/rotor on the front at a local parts store.

I did break them in correctly. I have a little different method (I don't go down quite as low as you do), but I did that whole thing. Then, I drove around to let them cool. I know all about breaking in pads.

Another update: They are squeaking less and less now. I don't know if it is just because they are getting a little warn, or they were just lonely, but it is better. They still squeal a little when I am going like 30- and apply very light brake pedal. Other than that, they are pretty good.

I still really really like the low dusting factor.
That might be why they squeal some....harder for low dust?

Old 05-05-2004, 12:28 PM

Well, The update is that the QuietStops are still squeaking every once in a while. I have been totally pleased with the stopping power and the low low low dust factor of these. I am pleased for how much they cost.
They are not all that expensive.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:44 PM

man every place around me has to order these pads. i wanna try them out just to experiment.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:05 PM

I bought these from Autozone and they dont squeak and I have had no dust at all:

PFC-CARBON-METALIC BRAKE PAD/SHOE - FRONT for a 1999 NISSAN/DATSUN MAXIMA

Part No.: 5264
Old 05-05-2004, 06:38 PM

Is it true that the rear pads don't really matter that much, so you can go cheap? I don't remember where I heard that...
Old 05-05-2004, 06:43 PM

Just put mine on Sunday with Brembo cross drilled/slotted and stainless steel lines. Loving every bit of them. Haven't heard anything but the sound of air going thru the slots.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:43 PM

I think that is true because last time I changed all four (2xfront and 2xback). Now just my fronts needed to be replaced.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Would anyone happen to have these matched up with slotted rotors? I just bought slotted rotors and these are the pads I was considering to match up with the rotors.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by NismoTam
Would anyone happen to have these matched up with slotted rotors? I just bought slotted rotors and these are the pads I was considering to match up with the rotors.
Post #27

Originally Posted by my99maxisnice
Is it true that the rear pads don't really matter that much, so you can go cheap? I don't remember where I heard that...
Yes, that is true. Doesn't really matter for the rears, unless you drive down the road a lot in reverse.

Originally Posted by thekenone
man every place around me has to order these pads. i wanna try them out just to experiment.
Go to www.rockauto.com.
You can get them pretty quickly there.
Cheap too.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:57 AM

bump
bump
bump
ttt
Old 05-12-2004, 01:29 PM

As of now, I still get a squeak every once in a while as slow speeds with light brake pressure. I think that is to be expected from any brakes.
Other than that, I am still pleased with stopping power and with the low dusting features of these brake pads.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:34 AM

Later evaluation for Raybestos Quiet Stop pads:

These things last forever!
They just don't want to quit. I have had them for quite a while, and they seem to still be good. I check on them often, because I rotate my own tires and look at them while I am under there.

I still don't have to clean my wheels that often because they just really don't dust very much at all.

I was pretty skeptical of these pads at first, but I really like them more and more the more I use them. When I first got them, they seemed to squeak a lot, but I think I had something caught in the pad. The squeaking went away and they have been really good ever since.

Stopping power....never a problem for me, but I am a 5spd. ha ha
I like the way they stop.
They don't grab like the EBC Greenstuff pads did, but they also don't make such a mess as those either.

I would recommend the Raybestos QS to anyone who is wanting a good all-around performing brake pad for a good price.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:48 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Good info Bruce. Just a comment though - how do these compare with the original Nissan pads? Those (front pads for example) can be picked up for $49 (midway, courtesy nissan, etc.) compared with $43 (rockauto.com) for the Raybestos QS pads. I have always used Nissan pads - since the cost difference was not significant.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:12 PM

I just got Raybestos pads installed on the rear 1-1/2 months ago. They aren't the QS, they are PGD540 which are semi-metallic I believe. They seem to be working just fine, no brake dust so far. The OEM pads still had almost 40% left to the wear bar but the right pad showed uneven wear as a result of a seized right rear caliper piston.

Consequently, I got rebuilt calipers and new pads on both sides and left the rotors as is. They were fine. The caliper seized primarily because I hadn't used the parking brake in years.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:41 PM

I went on the Raybestos website and now see that the PGD540 are for the rears only. QS is only on the front and they are ceramic pads. I was told by the stealer in early January @ 56K that I still had 50% left to the wear bar on my OEM Nissan front pads. I have a 5-speed, drive mostly highway miles, and don't use the brakes much. The OEM rear pads would have lasted for quite some time too if I hadn't seized the right-rear caliper and caused uneven pad wear.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by njmodi
Good info Bruce. Just a comment though - how do these compare with the original Nissan pads? Those (front pads for example) can be picked up for $49 (midway, courtesy nissan, etc.) compared with $43 (rockauto.com) for the Raybestos QS pads. I have always used Nissan pads - since the cost difference was not significant.
From my experience, the Stock Nissan pads dust a whole lot more than the Raybestos QS and seem to have comprable stopping power.
I would definitely go with the QS over stock.
If nothing else, I would bet they would last longer than stock.
Mine have been on here for quite a while.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
I went on the Raybestos website and now see that the PGD540 are for the rears only. QS is only on the front and they are ceramic pads. I was told by the stealer in early January @ 56K that I still had 50% left to the wear bar on my OEM Nissan front pads. I have a 5-speed, drive mostly highway miles, and don't use the brakes much. The OEM rear pads would have lasted for quite some time too if I hadn't seized the right-rear caliper and caused uneven pad wear.
Yeah, I didn't replace my rear pads until after 100k miles on my car.
They were down to the bare minimum then though. ha ha.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:05 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
From my experience, the Stock Nissan pads dust a whole lot more than the Raybestos QS and seem to have comprable stopping power.
I would definitely go with the QS over stock.
If nothing else, I would bet they would last longer than stock.
Mine have been on here for quite a while.
It just seems that if you aren't getting dust, your pads aren't biting.. I mean if they are biting, they have to wear, and that means they have to dust... or maybe thats simplifying it too much. I've always used OEM since the cost wasn't that much more (assuming you get them online from one of the discount parts houses) and I've never had squealing issues with them. If you look at all the european cars (BMW, Audi, etc.) their rims are always caked in brake dust - but they also tend to have excellent braking performance. In any event, its good to have an competitively priced alternative.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:09 PM

Parts availability in Canada leaves a lot to be desired. I got the Raybestos pads with a corporate discount at a local autoparts store for slightly less than 50% of what the stealership was asking for OEM pads, so it worked for me.

Quick Reply: Evaluation: Raybestos QS and how they perform thusfar